U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,753 times

Advertisements

I am visiting a friend for a couple of weeks in Rochester, and I have already got 2 parking tickets. It's ridiculous because both times I got the tickets, I parked in the alternate parking street where you have to move the car by 7 pm. The first time this happened, my car had some trouble with the starter which is why I couldn't move it. The second time his happened, I feel asleep after coming back from work and couldn't move the car soon enough before getting the ticket. The ticket was put at 7:08 while I had to move it away from there by 7.

Now here's my question, whyy are the parking tickets so expensive in Rochester. I had the ticket for $50 each time. Where I am from, the parking ticket is $25 at the most(half of what it is here) and that place is Charlotte, NC. Second thing is, my car is registered in Ohio while I reside in Charlotte, NC. So if I don't pay these parking tickets will there be any way that I will be forced to pay these while changing my car registration to North Carolina from Ohio? if not, I am not paying these tickets and playing into the corrupt system in this stae. Can someone advise me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 PM

466 posts, read 824,100 times
My advice is don't get tickets. Not trying to be mean, but they enforce it. The signs are posted clearly. I live in Park Ave and haven't gotten a ticket in nearly 2 years.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,644,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkingticketssukk View Post
I am visiting a friend for a couple of weeks in Rochester, and I have already got 2 parking tickets. It's ridiculous because both times I got the tickets, I parked in the alternate parking street where you have to move the car by 7 pm. The first time this happened, my car had some trouble with the starter which is why I couldn't move it. The second time his happened, I feel asleep after coming back from work and couldn't move the car soon enough before getting the ticket. The ticket was put at 7:08 while I had to move it away from there by 7.

Now here's my question, whyy are the parking tickets so expensive in Rochester. I had the ticket for $50 each time. Where I am from, the parking ticket is $25 at the most(half of what it is here) and that place is Charlotte, NC. Second thing is, my car is registered in Ohio while I reside in Charlotte, NC. So if I don't pay these parking tickets will there be any way that I will be forced to pay these while changing my car registration to North Carolina from Ohio? if not, I am not paying these tickets and playing into the corrupt system in this stae. Can someone advise me?
If you pay them the next business day, they're half price.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 AM

3,760 posts, read 1,934,325 times
Yes, the parking situation in Rochester NY is quite corrupt. We haven't returned to Rochester's Lilac Festival since my husband got a parking ticket three decades ago. A policeman, who was directing traffic, advised us to park on a side street and walk to the fair grounds. Food was disgustingly expensive. Back then a deep fried onion was $6 for one. I can't imagine what one costs today. We were ten minutes late returning to our car at the end of the day.The entire line of cars on that street had parking tickets on the windshields. It was clear that we'd all been targeted by the city.

My husband insisted it was some sort of entrapment. The city invites people from all over to come to their Lilac Festival, yet provides inadequate parking that results in profit for the city. We travel all over, my husband and I, but we refuse to return to Scam City (Rochester NY).

Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Yes, the parking situation in Rochester NY is quite corrupt. We haven't returned to Rochester's Lilac Festival since my husband got a parking ticket three decades ago. A policeman, who was directing traffic, advised us to park on a side street and walk to the fair grounds. Food was disgustingly expensive. Back then a deep fried onion was $6 for one. I can't imagine what one costs today. We were ten minutes late returning to our car at the end of the day.The entire line of cars on that street had parking tickets on the windshields. It was clear that we'd all been targeted by the city.

My husband insisted it was some sort of entrapment. The city invites people from all over to come to their Lilac Festival, yet provides inadequate parking that results in profit for the city. We travel all over, my husband and I, but we refuse to return to Scam City (Rochester NY).
Yeah seems like the whole parking tickets system here is a huge scam. What a shame, they are driving more people way by these stupid tricks.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 AM

351 posts, read 237,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkingticketssukk View Post
Yeah seems like the whole parking tickets system here is a huge scam. What a shame, they are driving more people way by these stupid tricks.
If that was the case, no one would ever visit New York City. Just follow the parking rules and you won't get tickets.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

You're beyond ridiculous. Man what is wrong with some people. Refused to return for 3 decades because of a lousy parking ticket? I can't believe people actually go through life living like that.

Anyway parking in Rochester is no different than any other city. There's signs. If you don't follow them you get ticketed. It's fairly simple.

I've been to the Lilac Festival every year,enjoyed it, and never received a parking ticket. The kicker? I live in the city, park in the street 80% of the time, and haven't received a ticket in nearly 2 years. I actually follow the signs and, amazingly, don't get ticketed.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 1,934,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
You're beyond ridiculous. Man what is wrong with some people. Refused to return for 3 decades because of a lousy parking ticket? I can't believe people actually go through life living like that.

Anyway parking in Rochester is no different than any other city. There's signs. If you don't follow them you get ticketed. It's fairly simple.

I've been to the Lilac Festival every year,enjoyed it, and never received a parking ticket. The kicker? I live in the city, park in the street 80% of the time, and haven't received a ticket in nearly 2 years. I actually follow the signs and, amazingly, don't get ticketed.
I'm beyond ridiculous? Really? You need to improve your reading skills and comprehension. Our reluctance to return was based on a few other mentioned factors, such as inadequate parking that resulted in a too-long hike to the festival, very expensive food. The parking ticket was the rotten cherry on top of that foul Sunday.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:51 PM

No, you're just incorrect on your observations. I went on a Saturday, parked for free on a side street and walked the 5 minutes to the festival. We ate food that was appropriately priced for just about any other festival we've ever been to. My girlfriend and I each had a beer and we split a lobster roll for just shy of $20 total.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Default False information

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
If you pay them the next business day, they're half price.
No, this is not true. Why do people put out false information, its so sleazy. Believe me, parking tickets are NOT half price if paid the next day. The City of Rochester is desperate for extra funds & needs your money. One way to take it is using the alternate parking as a way to extort money out of its own citizens. It's quite a racket here. On a positive note is due to our great mayor Lovely Warren, the red light cameras have been disconnected as of January 1st, 2017.

Last edited by richard578; 06-06-2017 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: grammer correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or