Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,362 times

Advertisements

I do not live in NY. Looking at the web, I see conflicting reports about Rochester's economy. The famous ones closed but now there appear to be many other optics related companies. My question is are they really there and do they employ qualified people in this field? I'm considering moving to Rochester but if sites like indeed.com and simplyhired.com are to be taken seriously, these reports of economic upturn must be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What industries are you looking/interested in?

As for the startups, this website may help: Upstate Venture Connect | UVC is building, measuring and celebrating Upstate NY's startup economy

Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
I will say this. Optics and photonics is something that both Rochester and the state are very heavily focused on protecting as an industry in Rochester. Rochester is a finalist with 2 other areas for 110 million in funding from a plan by Obama to create a photonics excellence innovation center and the state has agreed to commit another 250 million to that to help guarantee that it occurs. So hopefully Rochester wins it, but if it does, that can only mean that the money will funnel down to guaranteed jobs.

https://louise.house.gov/media-cente...ochester-based

Even without that initiative, there is Eastman Business Park with quite a few businesses in this field and millions of dollars of funding. It also is a huge priority for the city and the state too and always tops the list of funding for the Finger Lakes area.
Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council lists Eastman Business Park as top priority again

There is also a lot of research at RIT, and the UofR. The UofR has one of the most powerful lasers in the world and in some areas of research is the most powerful laser in the world:
Laboratory for Laser Energetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also a commercialization center in the area involved in research on nanotechnology and optics as well.
Smart System Technology & Commercialization Center

Personally, if were to bet on 1 technology industry that will be very successful in Rochester for many years to come it would without a doubt be photonics/nanotechnology/etc. Again, this is based on the fact that both the state and the federal govt continue to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy for these fields. Inevitably this leads to jobs and startups.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:23 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Plating:

I have no doubt that the City of Rochester is hoping to attract start ups especially with RIT and UofR cranking out highly skilled engineering labor right in their own backyard (not many are able to find jobs afterwards unless the LEAVE Rochester, that should tell you something right there). The reality is that the tax environment in the state sucks balls, and it's not a place where start ups are flocking to. It's expensive to do business in NY between labor, taxes, regulations, etc. Startups and "expensive to do business" don't mix. Unless the government directly subsidizes the tech start ups, it's probably not going to happen.

I'd look for optics opportunities in states with better corporate tax policies. Not trying to hate on Rochester, but it's not a tech boomtown.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Plating:

I have no doubt that the City of Rochester is hoping to attract start ups especially with RIT and UofR cranking out highly skilled engineering labor right in their own backyard (not many are able to find jobs afterwards unless the LEAVE Rochester, that should tell you something right there). The reality is that the tax environment in the state sucks balls, and it's not a place where start ups are flocking to. It's expensive to do business in NY between labor, taxes, regulations, etc. Startups and "expensive to do business" don't mix. Unless the government directly subsidizes the tech start ups, it's probably not going to happen.

I'd look for optics opportunities in states with better corporate tax policies. Not trying to hate on Rochester, but it's not a tech boomtown.
Many may get tax incentives to stay in the state as well and the area has institutions that allows companies to pick talent from. That site shows where there is startup activity in Upstate NY.

There has also been smaller companies that have been started by former big company talent. So, those firms may be worth a look.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Plating:

I have no doubt that the City of Rochester is hoping to attract start ups especially with RIT and UofR cranking out highly skilled engineering labor right in their own backyard (not many are able to find jobs afterwards unless the LEAVE Rochester, that should tell you something right there).

This is complete and utter bologna. I have a tech degree from RIT and had ZERO issues finding a job in Rochester. And this was in 2006 when the economy is far worse than it is now. Multiple offers, interviews and had my job lined up a month before graduation. And everybody I knew from RIT who wanted to stay in the region also had zero issues finding a job.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Sorry to say we all know that the state isn't business friendly, even with the tax incentives. Not to mention anyone moving from a different state looking for work in Rochester might be unpleasantly surprised to find high income taxes, high property taxes and few jobs to pick from. I took a look at the website and it's a bit misleading. I'm not sure what they consider a "start up" to make the list of "new" companies starting up in Rochester, but some of those companies have been in business since the mid 90's, that's not a start-up to me.

I'll leave it at that, but if anyone want to move to Rochester I'd strongly suggested doing a lot of research before making the leap. I didn't hang around, and the 411 from some engineering connections I have out there is that there are not a lot of tech jobs to be had. If there are any entry tech jobs RIT and UofR grads tend to clean those up.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/03/op...sons.html?_r=0

Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
This is complete and utter bologna. I have a tech degree from RIT and had ZERO issues finding a job in Rochester. And this was in 2006 when the economy is far worse than it is now. Multiple offers, interviews and had my job lined up a month before graduation. And everybody I knew from RIT who wanted to stay in the region also had zero issues finding a job.
I know a ton of RIT grads who had the exact opposite experience. Many who wanted to stay just couldn't find anything because the city had no jobs for their tech niche, or 20 of them were competing for the same job. This wasn't far from the same time span you are reporting. The ones who didn't find what they were looking for in Rochester found it very easily in Cali, Texas and NYC once they moved. It's also interesting how often the get pinged by new grads trying to network with peeps from their alma mater because Rochester doesn't have work for them.

Sorry, I don't call that a tech boom. Perhaps it is "relatively speaking" compared to other areas of western NY, but how low is that bar?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I'll leave it at that, but if anyone want to move to Rochester I'd strongly suggested doing a lot of research before making the leap. I didn't hang around, and the 411 from some engineering connections I have out there is that there are not a lot of tech jobs to be had. If there are any entry tech jobs RIT and UofR grads tend to clean those up.
While you have "411", I have actual experience in the area. The company I work for has hired a good 20 developers into my group alone within the last 8 months who are transplants. There are plenty of tech jobs in the area. In fact, we currently have vacancies existing that we can't find qualified applicants for at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area