U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
I hadn't even thought of utility rates. Are they that bad? Our gas averages about $140 in winter and $25 in summer (we have gas for cooking and don't use it much when it's hot but there is a mandatory $20 charge just to have service). Our electric is about $150 in summer because of the AC and $50-60ish during the cooler months. Then, we have AT&T for Internet and phone, Directv for TV, and city water is about $65 a month.
I would tack on another 25% or so for natural gas costs, there in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 4,616 times
Brockport/Clarkson/Sweden taxes are a bit lower than other areas in Monroe County and you will get more house for your money. [url=http://www2.monroecounty.gov/resident-index.php]Residents Portal | Monroe County, NY[/url] Allows you to look up tax information and assessments.
We live in Sweden Village area of Sweden/Brockport and the snow removal is amazing! Great neighborhood (housing very affordable) and only 1-2 miles from schools, groceries (Wegmans!), pharmacy, restaurants, Main St Brockport,...

Old 07-16-2015, 06:28 AM

6 posts, read 4,616 times
I guess that link didn't work. Google"Monroe County Resident's Portal" and look at the bottom of the left column.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:19 PM

372 posts, read 384,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
I hadn't even thought of utility rates. Are they that bad? Our gas averages about $140 in winter and $25 in summer (we have gas for cooking and don't use it much when it's hot but there is a mandatory $20 charge just to have service). Our electric is about $150 in summer because of the AC and $50-60ish during the cooler months. Then, we have AT&T for Internet and phone, Directv for TV, and city water is about $65 a month.
Utilities are not bad, right in line with national average. Taxes are skyline. I'm glad you are looking into tax, because I know some people who moved here buying homes that cost about the same as their old home, only to find out that property tax is 4x higher than what they used to pay. Remember when you sell a house you get its value back, but you will never recoup the taxes you paid.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 249 times
How do you qualify for the star program and the enhanced star program? I am relocating back to Rochester and what the taxes are will depend on how much money I can plan on spending on a home. I am 70 years old so do I qualify for the enhanced star program?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaschgwenn View Post
How do you qualify for the star program and the enhanced star program? I am relocating back to Rochester and what the taxes are will depend on how much money I can plan on spending on a home. I am 70 years old so do I qualify for the enhanced star program?
Yes, you qualify for Enhanced STAR. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...ligibility.htm

More information: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/star26.htm

Old 08-16-2018, 11:09 AM

1,123 posts, read 844,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of this is due to duplication and so many small forms of government as well. I believe the state has around 700 school districts, as an example and many have under 1000 students. You also have many villages, but some have consolidated with the town like Seneca Falls did a few years ago. Ironically, ITT/Gould Pumps in that community has seen some job growth in recent years.

Also OP, you may want to look into communities on this NYPA map, for lower utility rates: https://www.nypa.gov/about/images/MuniCoopMap.jpg

NYS currently has 721-733 school districts (depending on which statistic you use). According to NYS data, 36% of those are under 1000 enrollment. Many of those, especially the small districts, are justified in their size by local circumstances.

The typical "forms" of government in NYS are State, County, Town. There are also some incorporated villages, but these are not the norm. I know you are a proponent of consolidation, but there is no rampant duplication of government services. Only one entity plows each road. Only one entity collects refuse. Only one school district covers a single area.

The "multiple layers" of government we have in New York are no different than those of the OP's North Carolina. The reasons NY costs $8500 to NC's $2,300 have nothing to do with duplication or layers.

It is policy decisions from Albany on down to the local governments. Too much given away in things like social programs/experiments, poorly negotiated contracts, waste, and fraud. All the things that get the same people re-elected.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:27 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
NYS currently has 721-733 school districts (depending on which statistic you use). According to NYS data, 36% of those are under 1000 enrollment. Many of those, especially the small districts, are justified in their size by local circumstances.

The typical "forms" of government in NYS are State, County, Town. There are also some incorporated villages, but these are not the norm. I know you are a proponent of consolidation, but there is no rampant duplication of government services. Only one entity plows each road. Only one entity collects refuse. Only one school district covers a single area.

The "multiple layers" of government we have in New York are no different than those of the OP's North Carolina. The reasons NY costs $8500 to NC's $2,300 have nothing to do with duplication or layers.

It is policy decisions from Albany on down to the local governments. Too much given away in things like social programs/experiments, poorly negotiated contracts, waste, and fraud. All the things that get the same people re-elected.
You actually may have certain municipalities that get covered by multiple agencies. For instance, the village of East Syracuse up until a few years ago, was covered not only by its village police force(which doesn't exist any more), as well as the town of DeWitt police force and the Onondaga County department. So, you can get duplicate services from different agencies.

Also, it can be both duplicate services and state policy decisions as well. With that said, we do have to consider that the tax burden in part has to do with governmental structure and to at least consider adjusting where it makes sense. Given that the majority of the property taxes are due to the School tax, it would be sensible to at least consider that aspect in terms of structure. Whether the politicians are corrupt or clean as a whistle, have crazy or great policy ideas or you took social programs away or not, you still have to deal with the aspects of why the school tax makes up such a large portion of our property taxes and I dare say that structure plays a part in that. Does NY State really need that many school districts? I say that it doesn't.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 PM

8,066 posts, read 9,499,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

Your "typical forms of government in NYS" are all taxing authorities and no one is passing on collecting their fair share. Your services are duplicated in each of the 721-733 school districts (as an example), because each district must provide transportation, buildings, upkeep, special education along with other education obligations, vo-tech, a school board etc. All this cost and all of this is being duplicate in each district but its ok because school districts are taxing authorities also so they can raise their fair share each year.

You can replicate the above example where multiple public works, road crews law enforcements are present in a county. Look at the Monroe County, the property tax table https://www2.monroecounty.gov/property-taxrates.phpis 23 pages if you want to print it out. That's one county..

Like the OP I live in a county with 1 government, one taxing authority and a school district that must submit a budget, have it approved and operate within it. Yes it is far more cost efficient to have consolidation of services.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM

143 posts, read 42,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your "typical forms of government in NYS" are all taxing authorities and no one is passing on collecting their fair share. Your services are duplicated in each of the 721-733 school districts (as an example), because each district must provide transportation, buildings, upkeep, special education along with other education obligations, vo-tech, a school board etc. All this cost and all of this is being duplicate in each district but its ok because school districts are taxing authorities also so they can raise their fair share each year.

You can replicate the above example where multiple public works, road crews law enforcements are present in a county. Look at the Monroe County, the property tax table https://www2.monroecounty.gov/property-taxrates.phpis 23 pages if you want to print it out. That's one county..

Like the OP I live in a county with 1 government, one taxing authority and a school district that must submit a budget, have it approved and operate within it. Yes it is far more cost efficient to have consolidation of services.
Amen. More than a few school district administrators are paid more than the governor of 21 million people. I pay taxes to the state of New York, Monroe county, the town of Perinton and the Village of Fairport. And of course my platinum level school district.

It's no wonder Rochester is one of only 4 metros it's size or larger that has lost population since the 2010 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or