Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 10:04 AM

88 posts, read 83,146 times

Advertisements

Greetings, everyone! I'm originally a northeasterner who has been in the south for several years and looking for a change of scenery, and I've decided on Rochester. I know there are several relocation threads out there but most that I've found are several years old. That said, I apologize if this is viewed as a duplicate; that's not my intention.

I'm a 28 year old single young professional. I'm gay, which is by no means a big deal, but there are some safety concerns here when it comes to choosing neighborhoods (particularly when unfamiliar with them beyond spotty Internet research). Unfortunately, I will not have time to visit again before I relocate, so I'm having to choose blindly. I know this is a bit frustrating and unwise in some ways, but it's a necessary evil here. It seems Park Ave, Highland Park, and South Wedge are all great, as well as Neighborhood of the Arts.

Although I have been a homeowner, my intention is to rent at this time. I've seen places everywhere, including some places in Beechwood and also very mixed and contradictory statements about Beechwood in this forum from various dates, so I was curious about Beechwood in 2015. How is this neighborhood?

Thank you all for any advice you may have. Again, I apologize if this is at all viewed as a duplicate post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM

384 posts, read 355,870 times
The area around Beechwood is pretty hit or miss as far as I can tell. Some streets are nice, some a little rougher, but I imagine even the worst in Beechwood still isn't as bad as the neighborhoods north of the city. Just wondering, why are you shooting for Beechwood specifically? It's just a little secluded over there for my personal tastes, other than that you are pretty spot on with the other areas. General guideline is the South Wedge, Monroe Ave, Park Ave, and NOTA are all good spots for a youngish single guy. Could also check out the East End which is a little more downtown if that's your thing, a lot of new stuff going on down there that should be coming to fruition in the next year or two. You also shouldn't be too worried about the gay thing, it's not that big of a deal around here.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:04 PM

Thank you! I'm definitely not shooting for Beechwood specifically, but I saw some listings there that seemed interesting and I figured the question was worth asking. Most of what I'm looking for is in the Park Ave, South Wedge, etc. areas.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 PM

5,692 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Agree 100% with Uncle Benny. Welcome to Rochester

Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
Rochester has historically been very friendly to the LGBT communities and even has a number of festivals dedicated to it so you should have no problems fitting right in. The NOTA is one of the more prominent neighborhoods for LGBT so unless your heart is set on the Beechwood, it is a great place to live.

VisitRochester

Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 AM

384 posts, read 355,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljber View Post
Thank you! I'm definitely not shooting for Beechwood specifically, but I saw some listings there that seemed interesting and I figured the question was worth asking. Most of what I'm looking for is in the Park Ave, South Wedge, etc. areas.
Ah, yeah I think the area is turning around and if I was buying a house it might be a great area because I'm sure you can find some deals over there. But coming into the situation blind without even being able to check a place out before renting, I'd steer clear and just go with one of the other "safe bet" areas.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM

Thanks, Uncle Benny! In a year or so I'll probably buy again, so I'll keep that in mind down the line.

I have secured a place in South Wedge, so I'm excited. I miss a good northeastern autumn (not that it's not lovely where I am currently as well...).

Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM

5,692 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljber View Post
Thanks, Uncle Benny! In a year or so I'll probably buy again, so I'll keep that in mind down the line.

I have secured a place in South Wedge, so I'm excited. I miss a good northeastern autumn (not that it's not lovely where I am currently as well...).
I love autumn too. Be sure to go on some wine/ beer trail tours around the Finger Lakes. Closer to home, the Genesee River gorge is gorgeous, but mostly inaccessible unless you are on a boat. (there are boat tours).

Personally, I think the South Wedge is our coolest neighborhood and getting better too. Very walkable. Enjoy.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Thank you, JWRocks -- I'm very excited! Wine/beer trail tours are just up my alley, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area