U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:20 PM

1,206 posts, read 904,718 times

Advertisements

The new HTR incubator rennovation of the Sibley Building is finally in motion. Apparently there will also be 3 venture capital firms whom are also going to locate in the building.

Quote:
Once the accelerator is finished, HTR will move its operation from West Henrietta. Senall said the accelerator will provide training and workshops for beginning businesses and offer mentors who can help in the advanced stages of business plans. Three venture capital firms — Excell Partners, Rochester Angel Network and Cranberry Capital — will also have offices in the accelerator.

Senall announced the start of construction Wednesday during a groundbreaking ceremony on Sibley's rooftop. Some of the city and state's most prominent business and government leaders listened as Senall talked about how space, training, mentoring and venture capital will help the region economically.

"The goal is to bring as many of these pieces together as possible," he said.

HTR's start on its renovation project marks another cog moving in place toward a larger goal. The accelerator is one of two "anchor" institutions charged with providing incubator services to the 95-plus startups inside the downtown innovation zone. The other anchor will be Rochester Institute of Technology's Center for Urban Entrepreneurship. Senall said the training and workshops offered to in-house startups will also be available to innovation zone companies.

"By locating the accelerator here in the heart of the downtown innovation zone, we're making a commitment to the future of our city," said Joel Seligman, University of Rochester president and co-chair of the Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council, the state group that funded the accelerator's construction.

In many ways, HTR and RIT's incubators will provide the same services, but HTR's operation will focus on tech startups and RIT's outfit will cover mom-and-pop retailers — like bakeries, restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores and boutiques.
At Sibley, work begins on business incubator

The Finger Lakes Development Council is also looking to setup a photonics accelerator as well to make sure the research for photonics in the institute develops local commercial companies. I'm sure that will be in the Sibley Building too.

This is exciting to see the foundation for a real downtown innovation center being laid down the right way. This is precisely the way the Brookings Institute has suggested these type of entities be created. Centralized and co-location of many different breeds of entrepeneurs that can feed off each other and have the tools needed to progress their ideas and companies just an arm's length away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:08 AM

351 posts, read 238,406 times
It does seem like many of the right decisions are being made downtown these days, just always seems like everything is always "a couple years away". This, Midtown, inner loop redevelopment, etc can't be done soon enough for me.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM

1,206 posts, read 904,718 times
I agree, it's taking way too long. Just get stuff done already downtown! At least the Midtown tower is finally starting to really take shape. What an eyesore that was having a skeleton downtown for multiple years too.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:14 AM

Just to expand on my point further, take the inner loop for example, great project. But are we going to wait another year and a half to two years to put RFP's out there? They should be designing and planning stuff NOW so when the loop gets filled they can rebuild it, not have to stare at vacant lots for years while decisions are made. Just get it done, we know that's valuable land and people will want to build there, just do it already and actually take advantage of the momentum in the area instead of stalling things out.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:24 AM

466 posts, read 826,111 times
Rochester's biggest weakness. They have great ideas. They take entirely too long and it's really ridiculous how slow they move.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:57 PM

26 posts, read 37,899 times
I don't have a full grasp on local development projects, and I'm sure the process is way more complex than I know. But I totally agree that I would love to see a faster pace! For a city like Rochester, I'm not sure it makes sense to worry about getting every detail perfect. Just filling in the empty space with anything reasonable would change the whole feel of the place. There will be some mistakes here and there, but they can't be much worse than unused property. As an example, I previously moved from downtown Stamford, CT which was very vibrant...some of the anchors were Target, Burlington Coat Factory, McDonald's, and Starbucks. Again, just get something in there!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I agree, it's taking way too long. Just get stuff done already downtown! At least the Midtown tower is finally starting to really take shape. What an eyesore that was having a skeleton downtown for multiple years too.
And that's not the first time. Remember when the Hyatt was just a skeleton a few years ago? The building was finally completed when a group of local Business men got together and completed it. We have no one in government looking out for Rochester. For years, Kodak and Xerox provided all the economic development we needed. I remember back in the 80's Kodak alone used to spend over a billion dollars a year on capital improvements and create 1-3000 jobs every year. Our "leaders" today just ride it out. Funny, they always vote for Buffalo to get theirs though.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
It does seem like many of the right decisions are being made downtown these days, just always seems like everything is always "a couple years away". This, Midtown, inner loop redevelopment, etc can't be done soon enough for me.
Keep in mind, no buildings will be built without a tenant or tenants to fill it. Hopefully there will be.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Keep in mind, no buildings will be built without a tenant or tenants to fill it. Hopefully there will be.
If you're talking residential, the annual housing reports the RDDC does say that there is pretty high demand for housing downtown. Who knows how long that will last, but for the past couple years vacancy rates have stayed fairly low. Commercially, harder to say right now, but businesses will follow the people down there as long as the population keeps growing. The main thing I'm afraid of is it takes too long for retail to catch up and people start moving out before a critical mass of density can be reached.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM

372 posts, read 384,726 times
The problem with this type of urban renewal in general is that they are focused on helping a geographic location and not on people living in that location. Of course it helps to make downtown cool and attractive, but what more important is looking at the people living there and figuring out how their lives can be improved. Maybe some of them need better education, maybe a new high tech incubator, maybe some need to find a job somewhere else and move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or