Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 12,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Which district and outdoor location appears to be your favorite so far?
webster and greece seem nice! I would also consider south of rochester, towards the lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:14 PM

308 posts, read 467,321 times
The Rochester area seems like it would be nice for you. It's a small metro and everything is close. It's also one of few metro areas that have a low cost of living, low housing prices and yet offers a decent amount of culture. Don't let other posters scare you on the City. Parts of the City are problematic and I wouldn't recommend those areas. But to make blanket claims that the entire city is dangerous or unsafe is patently false.

As an actual City resident that walks throughout the City almost daily, often to downtown, I have had no issues at all. Zero. East of the River, South of Main Street- all decent areas. Others, depending on the areas are good to poor. Just do some research. The benefits of living in the heart of the region, having stuff walkable from your house ie. parks, stores, restaurants... for me is valuable.

Good luck, I would do it and then hope your income goes up more. Also, visit first and spend a few days.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:34 PM

308 posts, read 467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
To those who live in the surrounding areas, Rochester is "Shoot-me-in-the-head-ville". There's at least one murder every day. There are areas (inner city) where you aren't safe in broad daylight, much less at night. Yes, Rochester has a lot to offer in the cultural department, but you can drive there, rather than live there.

Consider the surrounding areas of Rochester (Orleans, Livingston) if you don't mind commuting to work. The areas are more rural, there's much less crime, the schools are better, the neighbors are better, there's more breathing space and more hunters and other people who love the outdoors. We commuted to Monroe county from Orleans county for a couple of decades. We survived. We wouldn't live in the city if someone gave us the house for free.

Java, generalizing undermines your credibility.

Rochester is "Shoot-me-in-the-head-ville
>Interesting, never heard that expression before from anyone else. Does that apply to all the cities that have similar levels of crime? Like most cities, shootings are very targeted. The average joe is not randomly targeted. It's gangs killing gangs, thugs killing thugs. Not all the time but the vast majority of the time.

There's at least one murder every day.
>False statement. There is not "at least one murder per day". The murder rate isn't even close to that figure.

There are areas (inner city) where you aren't safe in broad daylight, much less at night.
>True, but isn't that the case for most cities? New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh. It's an expectation and not a surprise.

Consider the surrounding areas of Rochester (Orleans, Livingston):
the schools are better
>False. Monroe county has higher ranking schools

the neighbors are better
>How is that measured exactly? I happen to think my neighbors are 'better'. So does everyone.

We wouldn't live in the city if someone gave us the house for free
>Rest assured, the vast majority of us would take a free house in the city if it was nice and in a decent area. So, someone offers you a 300k house in the Park Ave area, east ave or other areas that are really nice- you wouldn't take it? Uh huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area