U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:04 PM

660 posts, read 476,198 times

Advertisements

In June of 2016, I am graduating from High School and need to choice a college. Two colleges I have interest in is University of Connecticit and U of R. I will be majoring in computer engineering and I am a cross country and track runner. My SAT score is 1840, ACT is 27, and my GPA is 3.8. I have only seen U of R at the McQuaid Invitational and have never seen University of Connecticut. So which is the better school for my major and athletics?

Last edited by XC_Runner; 10-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM

1,207 posts, read 913,121 times
They are both good schools. UofR is ranked higher for Engineering. It is ranked 39th in the country vs 69th for Connecticut. Track and Field is probably a better athletics school at Connecticut. But U of R definitely has a respectable program in Div III.

With the Federal Photonics institute coming to Rochester, there will probably be some really cool things coming down the pipeline for UofR and Computer Engineering is definitely going to play a huge role with developing tools/software for synthesis and design automation. So I can imagine there will be a lot of opportunities at UofR to participate in that.

Future Home of Rochester's $600M Photonics Institute Announced

Old 10-04-2015, 06:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 823,791 times
I also agree with db here. U of R for academics and U Conn for athletics. If I were you, I would definitely try and visit both schools while classes are in session so you can really get a "feel" for the school. Honestly, that is what it really comes down to, the best school is going to be the one you feel most comfortable at.

Also, I am currently a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and would recommend taking a look at the Gleason College of Engineering computer engineering program here at RIT as well. They already have a very good reputation for engineering, and one of the best co-op programs in the country. Either way, you seem like a smart kid and I'm sure you have a very bright future ahead of you. Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:20 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,338,761 times
I've also heard that there is some kind of partnership with IBM and UR, building a data center or something. I'm not sure, but I've heard they are building a new building for it, so it must be large.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 PM

So U of R for academics and UConn for athletics. Is there a school that I would likely be accepted into that is in Division 1 and has academics just as good as U of R?

I also went on prepscholar.com and with an 1840 SAT Score, I have a 54% of being accepted to UConn but only an 19.9% chance of being accepted into U of R.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 823,791 times
Maybe University of Pittsburgh or Syracuse University

Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
So U of R for academics and UConn for athletics. Is there a school that I would likely be accepted into that is in Division 1 and has academics just as good as U of R?

I also went on prepscholar.com and with an 1840 SAT Score, I have a 54% of being accepted to UConn but only an 19.9% chance of being accepted into U of R.
Along with gt87's good suggestions, perhaps Cornell could be an option. Penn State may be another university to look into.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 PM

So UCONN and U of R may be out of the question

A poster on the Connecticut forum said to go to the best public university in the state to save money in the future. That poster said that it is better for the future to go to the best public state school that I am resided in (so I would go to a SUNY School) instead of paying the $42000 yearly at U of R or UCONN out of state tuition. Instead I could go to a SUNY school for under $25000 yearly.

I did research to find the best SUNY Computer Enginering Schools and the three best were Stony Brook, Binghamton, and University at Buffalo. I only have under a 33% chance of getting accepted into SB and Binghamton, but over a 90% to get into UB with my SAT Score.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
So UCONN and U of R may be out of the question

A poster on the Connecticut forum said to go to the best public university in the state to save money in the future. That poster said that it is better for the future to go to the best public state school that I am resided in (so I would go to a SUNY School) instead of paying the $42000 yearly at U of R or UCONN out of state tuition. Instead I could go to a SUNY school for under $25000 yearly.

I did research to find the best SUNY Computer Enginering Schools and the three best were Stony Brook, Binghamton, and University at Buffalo. I only have under a 33% chance of getting accepted into SB and Binghamton, but over a 90% to get into UB with my SAT Score.
All 3 are Division 1 sports programs, with UB in the Mid American Conference and Binghamton and Stony Brook in the America East Conference. UAlbany is also in the American East Conference. I'd say that in terms of athletics, the Mid Anerican has a higher profile than the America East, but the schools in the America East are a little bit more high profile in terms of academics.

Schools in the MAC are generally in Ohio(Kent St., Akron, Bowling Green, Toledo and Miami of Ohio) and Michigan(Eastern, Western and Central), along with Northern Illinois in DeKalb IL and Ball State in Muncie IN(I may have forgotten a school).

In the America East, you have those 3 SUNY Universities, Maryland-Baltimore County, Boston University, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Hartford, UMass-Lowell and New Hampshire, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:19 PM

So I have thought about it more. The other seniors on the Cross Country Team all seem to be looking at other SUNY Schools. Also a few universities are visiting my High School, and believe it or not the University of Connecticut is one of them. Some SUNY Schools are visiting also.

I have not completely ruled out Oregon because I thought of their athletic program and some world famous runners have came from there, one of them is Steve Prefontaine. Also I looked down in the Southeast but completely ruled them out because it seems that in FL, GA, SC, or NC is that the colleges are either very good and hard to get into or they are schools not as good. Also I would not want to run 5Ks in 90 degree weather.

The University of Massachusetts has caught my eye such as UMASS Amherst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or