U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 PM

372 posts, read 391,296 times

Advertisements

I think Rochester is a good fit for the OP, although not necessarily a better fit than most other similar cities.

We do get distinct seasons, but it's really like 1 super long season (winter), with 1 normal season (summer), plus two mini seasons (spring, fall). Winters can be brutal, not because of the snow or cold, but because it's long and dreary. Coming from sun drenched Calif, you probably have no idea what it is like to spend 1 month without seeing the sun. That's okay, prior to moving here, I have no idea about seasonal affective depression either. Spring, summer and fall are all lovely albeit with too much rain for my liking.

Giving you are coming from Calif and CO, make sure you are okay with the geography. There is no mountain anywhere near Rochester. There are little bumps that people call "mountain" or "hill", but make no mistake, these are just bumps. Contrary to what an above poster said, both the Adirondacks and Catskills are pretty far away, that puts you at about a good 4-5 hour drive to the mountains. There are plenty of other outdoor sporting opportunities around here, with biking being the most convenient and popular, canoeing/kayaking isn't bad either. If you want to do more mountain sports you are out of luck. Even NYC has more real hiking and rock climbing and skiing opportunities than Rochester. Rochester is nowhere near the ocean, but I found the Lake Ontario lake front to be quite nice. If you are a beach bum you may be disappointed.

Homes in this area are certainly affordable, but that may just be an illusion. For example, the previous owner of my house bought it for 320k in 1980, 30+ years later, he sold it to me for for 280k. If he had bought a house in SF, NYC or DC for 320k, that house would net him a cool 2 million at a minimum, probably much much more, not to mention he probably paid much higher property tax on his Rochester-area home during those 30 years.

Also note that larger and growing cities tend to offer not only more current jobs but also much better career advancement down the road. An IT guy spending the first leg of his IT career in Roc will have a much different career trajectory than a guy with similar initial credential but started in Silicon Valley. Over a 30 or 40 year career, this literally translates into millions of dollars.

All of the above being said, Rochester may still be the perfect place for you. You should consider all these factors and your otpions, only you know what's best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 PM

899 posts, read 447,206 times
I appreciate the post listing negatives. CA and CO are generally sunny and that may have skewed my perception of dreary days. I think we will enjoy the dreariness a little better than most Californians and Coloradans do because we love rain so much. The mountains issue may be an issue. My wife loves mountains. I do too, but I can do without if it is still forested. Oregon or Washington are really our only other alternatives.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I appreciate the post listing negatives. CA and CO are generally sunny and that may have skewed my perception of dreary days. I think we will enjoy the dreariness a little better than most Californians and Coloradans do because we love rain so much. The mountains issue may be an issue. My wife loves mountains. I do too, but I can do without if it is still forested. Oregon or Washington are really our only other alternatives.
Rochester has 61 sunny days per year. I haven't personally met anyone who considers this ideal but it may just work for you. There are lots of trees, but not much actual forest. Most lands have been developed for housing, industry or agriculture, with tiny tracts protected here and there. This should work for most people. There is nothing remotely like San Bernardino or Angeles National Forest if that's what you are looking for.

The only actual advantage of Rochester is its size. It's small enough that you can go anywhere within 30 minutes. That's going from one end of the metro area to the other end. Most trips will be much shorter, more like 10-15 minutes or even shorter. Coming from a huge city, I think you will definitely appreciate this. It's also big enough to offer a sampling of most things. There will be Chinese, Italian, Mexico and other restaurants, although none of them are particularly good. An average place in LA or NYC will be better than the best ones here. There are museums and ski not too far from town. They are just average (ski is probably below average). That being said, you can do almost anything within an easy 30 minutes drive from town, just don't expect LA/NYC/DC level of sophistication or depth and you will be fine.

I'd compare Rochester favorably with most towns of similar size. A city like this makes most financial sense for people who's career is highly regulated, is kind of dead end or who just isn't into the whole rat race mentality of bigger cities. Teachers, nurses, and doctors will do great here, since they will make about the same here compared to large cities. People in relative low skill jobs who don't really care to break out into something much more lucrative will also do better here. If one wants to be a hedge fund manager or be working on the next big thing in mobile technology, he should probably stay away. This may sound like a negative but it really isn't.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 915,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
There is plenty of forested land in the area. Letchworth State Park is only a 35 minute drive from Rochester and was recently voted by readers as the best state park:

Letchworth State Park Voted USA's Best State Park

Letchworth State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

As far as the economy and potential in Rochester, I work in IT and have worked in a few large cities that were known for IT, and I actually make more right here in Rochester. Taking the Cost of Living into account, I actually make quite a bit more here in Rochester than what I made in those. When you compare job openings for Science, Engineering and IT with similar sized cities, Rochester actually compares quite well and even does better than most cities around the same size. There is a lot of opportunity here contrary to some of the naysayers about the area.

For innovation we have quite a few incubators:

High Tech Rochester
Home | HTR

RIT center for Urban Entrepreneurship:
Center for Urban Entrepreneurship (CUE) | RIT

Rochester was also just picked for a 600 million dollar investment from the govt for a Photonics Imitative. There's going to be a lot of crossover with Software Development and many different engineering fields:
NY wins $600 million hub for photonics research, development

The statement that Yiplong is making about not being able to innovate if one wants to here is just flat out false. Working in this field directly right here in Rochester I can say that for a fact.

And contrary to Yiplong's comments about the restaurants here, there are many really good restaurants.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
. Teachers, nurses, and doctors will do great here, since they will make about the same here compared to large cities. People in relative low skill jobs who don't really care to break out into something much more lucrative will also do better here. If one wants to be a hedge fund manager or be working on the next big thing in mobile technology, he should probably stay away. This may sound like a negative but it really isn't.
This is flat out false. I work in IT here in Rochester. My salary here in Rochester is actually right on par with the other cities I've worked in. In fact, I make more here in Rochester. I also know somebody who took a job in silicon valley and they were offered 15% more than they made here in Rochester. When accounting for the COL, it is actually a pay cut. And no offense, but your claim that you "can't do the next big thing in mobile technology" also shows ignorance within the field. Number 1 there are many incubators right here in Rochester, secondly there are many startup meetup groups and organizations here such as below, and third, the technology barriers for a startup in IT are relatively low, thus there is no valid argument why you can't "do the next big thing" right here in Rochester.

Resources for entrepreneurs:

NetPlex:
Join the Rochester, NY tech and startup community | NextPlex

DIgital Rochester:
DIGITAL ROCHESTER | Rochester New York

Startup Rochester:
Startup Resources and Events in Rochester | Rochester | UP Global Startup Communities

Startup Weekend which occurs annually:
Startup Weekend EDU Rochester | November 21st, 2014 | Rochester | UP Global Startup Communities

High Tech Rochester:
Home | HTR

For Funding/Seed money:
Rochester Angel Network:
Rochester Angel Network - Home

Excell Partners
Excell Partners, Inc.

There are even competitions for Retail Startups:
Race For the Space:
Rochester Race for the Space Home

Retalient Rochester:
Retailent Rochester

And also a number of expos involved in the startup community such as:
TECH STARTUP EXPO | LET'S I/O TOGETHER

Old 10-26-2015, 10:45 PM

899 posts, read 447,206 times
Let me try to make this as clear as possible. We don't want any remnant of California where-ever we go because we hate the culture and vibe. We want a slow, nature centered life in a loving community that we can serve. We obviously want good jobs, but getting the most money isn't a top priority. That being said, bone crushing regulation and taxation isn't ideal either. I trust that Rochester has a great engineering industry and will provide ample opportunity. I think it is in my personal Top 5 places to apply. Thank you all for the input.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
This is flat out false. I work in IT here in Rochester. My salary here in Rochester is actually right on par with the other cities I've worked in. In fact, I make more here in Rochester. I also know somebody who took a job in silicon valley and they were offered 15% more than they made here in Rochester. When accounting for the COL, it is actually a pay cut. And no offense, but your claim that you "can't do the next big thing in mobile technology" also shows ignorance within the field. Number 1 there are many incubators right here in Rochester, secondly there are many startup meetup groups and organizations here such as below, and third, the technology barriers for a startup in IT are relatively low, thus there is no valid argument why you can't "do the next big thing" right here in Rochester.

Resources for entrepreneurs:

NetPlex:
Join the Rochester, NY tech and startup community | NextPlex

DIgital Rochester:
DIGITAL ROCHESTER | Rochester New York

Startup Rochester:
Startup Resources and Events in Rochester | Rochester | UP Global Startup Communities

Startup Weekend which occurs annually:
Startup Weekend EDU Rochester | November 21st, 2014 | Rochester | UP Global Startup Communities

High Tech Rochester:
Home | HTR

For Funding/Seed money:
Rochester Angel Network:
Rochester Angel Network - Home

Excell Partners
Excell Partners, Inc.

There are even competitions for Retail Startups:
Race For the Space:
Rochester Race for the Space Home

Retalient Rochester:
Retailent Rochester

And also a number of expos involved in the startup community such as:
TECH STARTUP EXPO | LET'S I/O TOGETHER
Anyone can put together a list like this for any city of similar size. In fact I can name quite a few that are doing much better. This is 2015 not 1875, nothing too big has come out of Rochester for a long time, and won't be for the foreseeable future. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Rochester is doing poorly economically, and not particularly innovative. Even if a company like Facebook were to be founded here, it will have to move somewhere else to be viable. There is simply not enough talent here or pull to attract talent. There is a reason why almost all the big banks are in NY and all the big techs are on West coast.

Doing IT in Rochester is not the same as doing it in SV. Sure you can do database programming for a 30 person shop in Rochester or as a branch office of a larger firm, it's not the same as working on database programming for Google. You can practice corporate law in Rochester, it's not the same as working for Skadden in NYC or Clifford Chance in Hong Kong. You can do finance, it's not the same as working for Barclays in London or Goldman in NYC. If you want to be the best in your field, these are the shops and cities you should aim for. Now this may not be OPs goal and he may not want to be competitive at the the top level of his profession, I hate to see fanboys spreading falsehood here to prospective transplant though. I remember there was post on here where a Roch fanboy said he'd compare Rochester s restaurants favorbaly to those in any worldclass city.

Like I said before, places like Rochester is for the average or below average, or not particularly motivated or in special fields. There are other goals in life than your career, but generally moving from a larger city like LA to Rochester will not be a career enhancing move, although it may well enhance your life in other respects.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
This is 2015 not 1875, nothing too big has come out of Rochester for a long time, and won't be for the foreseeable future. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Rochester is doing poorly economically, and not particularly innovative.
Look, this will be my last response since it is hijacking the OP's thread and this isn't the type of thing he's concerned with Rochester having anyway, but I need to counter this completely false statement you keep parroting that "nothing big has come out of Rochester for a long time". You see this website you're on right now? "city-data"? Open up chrome developer tools and filter on the pages retrieved. You'll see "jQuery" as the javascript framework this website is run on. jQuery is the world's most used javascript framework. Roughly 65% of all the websites in the world use that framework. jQuery was created in Rochester by an RIT student. Every single web developer in the world I guarantee you has heard of jQuery. jQuery was the "next big thing" in web development due to it being the first real framework to deal with cross browser support. It opened up web development to the new paradigm of responsive programming.

Here John Resig the creator of jQuery is being inducted into RIT's hall of fame for innovation and he talks about his experience at RIT and all the opportunities he had due to the innovative environment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ghssAm4_nc

Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 AM

1,592 posts, read 893,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Rochester is doing poorly economically, and not particularly innovative.
In addition, this area has a high percentage of native-born residents. A favorite question among people is asking which high school you attended. "Oh, you must know so-and-so then if you went to such-and-such high school." It's a small world is an understatement.

I like Rochester, but it has interesting attributes.

You may be able to get a decent job without knowing anybody, but at the same time, you should be aware of this quality.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:18 AM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times
On the other hand, Rochester's educational attainment out of the 100 biggest metropolitan areas is about 22nd. Rochester is the 52nd biggest metro in the US out of 381 total metropolitan areas and 929 Core Based Statistical Areas(including Micropolitan areas).http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

It also is the 60th biggest urban area out of 497 of such areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Also, due to the college/universities, you get people from other places that work at these institutions. So, you do have parts of the area that are more transient than others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area