U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM

91 posts, read 172,862 times

Advertisements

I bought a house this past summer. A few weeks in, we started hearing gurgling noises in the pipes and eventually had overflow. A plumber came out and roto-rootered, pulling out 2 bucket fulls of shop rags (!!!). He charged us $420 (he was here about 1 and a half to two hours I think) and said he was giving us a break (because we are a family and we had just moved in).

This was in August. We are now experiencing the same issues again, only this time the water is coming out of the cleanout pipe, located in the lower level of our house. I had the town come out and they ruled out the main line.

Question: Given that we could not have possibly caused this much of a clog in the short time we lived here, and given that we have an invoice from this plumber saying "we believe they were deliberately flushed down the toilet", do we have cause to legally go back to the owners and ask for some type of compensation? My theory is that the couple's teenage son (who is not all mentally there, from what I've heard) was sent to clean out the house after they'd moved and,not having trash pickup, we believe he simply forcibly flushed all the rags.

Question 2: Anyone have a plumber recommendation? (Ha.) I am not sure if the guy mentioned above really did charge us a good rate, but from what I hear the company called Roto-Rooter would have been far worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:04 PM

8,139 posts, read 9,576,422 times
If the entire sewer run was cleaned out on the first visit you have to ask what is causing a blockage now. Are there any large trees along the path of the sewer? If not then there is a possibility that the line has partially collapsed. Find out from the last plumber if they know what the line is made of, for years a product called Orangeburg Pipe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg_pipe (tar coated cardboard) was used and it will collapse after a while.

As for legal action against the previous owner get advice from a lawyer.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:40 PM

91 posts, read 172,862 times
It was baby wipes. Both this time and last time...the first plumber had us going off on this shop rag theory. Unbelievable. Those things ought to come with a warning!!!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:26 PM

8,139 posts, read 9,576,422 times
Huggies claims their product is clearly marked do not flush, I don't know. I would have thought after the pipe was cleared once that any residual items would flow through & out the line.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 PM

696 posts, read 617,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cairo View Post
It was baby wipes. Both this time and last time...the first plumber had us going off on this shop rag theory. Unbelievable. Those things ought to come with a warning!!!
So you were flushing them down the toilet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or