U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

My family currently lives in the RCSD and our youngest one is going to be entering kindergarten soon. We are planning to move in the next 1-2 years and are considering Brighton (preferred given its socioeconomic diversity and location), Pittsford, Penfield, and Fairport school districts. We have been trying to identify public elementary schools that offer foreign language education (looking into the future - Spanish and Chinese seem the most practical). There is a language immersion elementary school in the RCSD but we are hesitant to send our kids to the city public school district for a variety of reasons. While Brighton and Pittsford are "top school districts" they seem rather traditional with regards to their curriculum (e.g., they don't appear to introduce foreign languages until middle school, still rely heavily on the AP model of teaching honors courses which seems rather outdated, college credit/test-focused, and narrow when compared to the IB programs that are spreading through the "less elite" school districts)

Does anyone know of Eastern/Southern Monroe County or Ontario County school districts that offer early language immersion or foreign language instruction? I work in the city and my wife commutes to Canandaigua, so while Victor/Canandaigua/Honeoye Falls are options, Spencerport/Hilton/Western Monroe County are not practical.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 PM

56,636 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Have you looked into Rush-Henrietta, which may be the most diverse suburban SD in the area in multiple ways?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM

I looked at Rush-Henrietta's website and, similar to other districts, foreign language instruction appears to start in middle school. Advantages to RH appear to be perhaps the smallest elementary school class sizes, low tax base (but does this reflect a lack of support for the school district in favor of paying less in taxes?), and socioeconomic diversity. If it offered a language immersion program starting in elementary school (I know kids in other parts of the country who have been in such programs and are nearly fluent by the time they reach high school), we probably would favor it over the eastern Monroe County suburbs and Brighton.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs02001 View Post
I looked at Rush-Henrietta's website and, similar to other districts, foreign language instruction appears to start in middle school. Advantages to RH appear to be perhaps the smallest elementary school class sizes, low tax base (but does this reflect a lack of support for the school district in favor of paying less in taxes?), and socioeconomic diversity. If it offered a language immersion program starting in elementary school (I know kids in other parts of the country who have been in such programs and are nearly fluent by the time they reach high school), we probably would favor it over the eastern Monroe County suburbs and Brighton.
No, it is due to the tax base, as there is plenty of shopping in the area.

Also, from what I could find, it appears that Honeoye Falls-Lima may be your best bet in terms of public schools and location and Allendale Columbia in terms of a private school: NYSED:LOTE:Information:FLES

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 122,207 times
I would question your thought of favoring RH over Brighton and the other eastern suburban schools. The elementary schools in RH are wonderful, but I would not recommend their schools after that. I've worked with all the school districts in the area. If you want diversity have you thought of West Irondequoit?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
I would question your thought of favoring RH over Brighton and the other eastern suburban schools. The elementary schools in RH are wonderful, but I would not recommend their schools after that. I've worked with all the school districts in the area. If you want diversity have you thought of West Irondequoit?
What is wrong with R-H after elementary school, especially given the academic information at the middle and high school levels?

Also, does West Irondequoit have the foreign language program the OP is looking for? I'm just curious, as I didn't see anything that showed that it did.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:05 AM

351 posts, read 240,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
The one thing I would point out about Irondequoit in general is the commute for his wife will not be very enjoyable. 590 S backs up almost daily near the 490 interchange, at least it did when I used to go through there on the way to work, and that was only during the spring/summer. I moved before I had to deal with it for the winter, which I have to assume is even worse.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:43 PM

1,592 posts, read 891,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
590 S backs up almost daily near the 490 interchange
QFT. While it's not LA or such level traffic, it's important consideration. I'd at least drive it one morning if you have the chance.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is wrong with R-H after elementary school, especially given the academic information at the middle and high school levels?

Also, does West Irondequoit have the foreign language program the OP is looking for? I'm just curious, as I didn't see anything that showed that it did.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this! We appreciate them. It is nice to know that we are not overlooking something. When we moved to Rochester 10+ years ago, we knew we were here to stay due to the quality of life, good public school education, and Midwestern feel. I have been reading about the school districts for a long time and, it seems like the two districts that do better than expected based upon the average family incomes, are West Irondequoit and Brighton (based on socioeconomic status, Pittsford should have the highest scores). I think if West Irondequoit were closer to Canandaigua it would be a strong option (even though its foreign language instruction does not appear to start until 7th grade). A concern I have read about, however, is that West Irondequoit essentially hired a physical education expert to be its superintendent who has prioritized upgrading athletic facilities and that the educational quality may be slipping a bit (this may be unfair as it is mostly based on hearsay such as the comment boards of the Democrat and Chronicle).

Old 02-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs02001 View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts on this! We appreciate them. It is nice to know that we are not overlooking something. When we moved to Rochester 10+ years ago, we knew we were here to stay due to the quality of life, good public school education, and Midwestern feel. I have been reading about the school districts for a long time and, it seems like the two districts that do better than expected based upon the average family incomes, are West Irondequoit and Brighton (based on socioeconomic status, Pittsford should have the highest scores). I think if West Irondequoit were closer to Canandaigua it would be a strong option (even though its foreign language instruction does not appear to start until 7th grade). A concern I have read about, however, is that West Irondequoit essentially hired a physical education expert to be its superintendent who has prioritized upgrading athletic facilities and that the educational quality may be slipping a bit (this may be unfair as it is mostly based on hearsay such as the comment boards of the Democrat and Chronicle).
Midwestern feel?

West Irondequoit has a median household income of $60,322 and Brighton's median household income is $69,892, according to the latest census info(2010-2014). Both are above the national and state figures in terms of median household income. So, they are solidly middle class school districts with some economic variation, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area