Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 06:28 PM

14,006 posts, read 14,979,928 times

Advertisements

What do you think about
a. The Removal of the (south)eastern section of the Inner loop
b. The Proposed removal of the Northern Inner Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,326,170 times
I think it's a fantastic idea. There's a psychological barrier between the upper and lower east end and Monroe Ave/Park Ave. Removing the inner loop will provide an amazing opportunity. Also, The Strong Museum was one of the early proponents of removing the inner loop. They felt it reflected bad on our city and the museum. Visitors to the Strong who come here from outside of the area see an expressway sitting behind the museum. They have no clue that really right around the corner is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in Rochester with the East End. It also provides them land and the city to build upon the success of THe Strong. Many Canadians for instance take a day trip to the Roc just for that museum. There could be an expansion along with a new stage for concerts, building upon the Jazz Fest, etc.

I'm also for the nothern removal too. That will help connect downtown to High Falls and the Genesee Brewery and its massive expansion to expand the beer museum, create a viewing dock right down into the brewery, and if the Greentopia's plans for the walkway and bridges around the falls come to fruition, that could be another destination. I was shocked to learn that the Brew House attracts over 200,000 a people a year. With their expansion that number will only grow too.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:45 AM

384 posts, read 355,385 times
I love the removal of the southern portion and think it will do great things connecting neighborhoods to downtown. I am not necessarily against filling in the northern portion, but I also see much less benefit there because even if you raise the inner loop, there's still a railroad line sitting right next to it that will divide the area.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:23 PM

88 posts, read 83,057 times
That's a great point about the railroad line. Also, removing the northern section would make more sense after the former southern section is developed and we can evaluate the project's challenges and successes. And just maybe with the southern loop development having been done, the northern loop could be demolished while proposals are being made for what to do with the land, rather than after?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area