Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Look! The OP is asking for opinions. He didn't just ask for yours, gt87. I already suggested that he avoid certain sections... and I included an established crime map with statistics. I never compared Rochester to the south side of Chicago. WTF is the matter with you? I gave the OP MY opinion on what it was like for ME to live in Rochester. Both my husband and I hated it there, so we moved. You have a different view, gt87? Great! Share it without calling differing opinions "exaggerations".
Did you not see where I said, "in my opinion"? It's not that serious dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 03:22 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
We left Rochester NY because of the high crime. There's a daily mugging, shooting, murder in parts of Rochester. Drug activity prevails. There are areas where you can't walk down the street after dark, much less sit on your own front porch. Houses are cheap in those areas. Avoid the inner city... Joseph Ave, Norton, Clinton, all the sides streets and surrounding areas.
I don't know anything about NJ, so I can't compare it.

This crime map may help. Do much more research before moving to Rochester NY.
https://spotcrime.com/ny/rochester
Oh please. Rochester's crime is no different than any other sized city. I've never once heard anybody I know say they had to move away to escape crime or that they couldn't sit on their porch because of muggings and shootings.

Where exactly did you live that crime was so bad? Was it literally in the worst part of the city? And where did you move to? Was it outside of the city?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:32 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
All cities have their bad areas. That should be a given. No reason the leave the area entirely. Just move to a better neighborhood. Or, you could stay and be a beacon of positivity. I'm sure that not every one of your neighbors were criminals. The good people in the neighborhood need to stand up together and take back the neighborhoods.

This is a thread about downtown, anyway. Downtown is safe. I know people who live downtown and love it.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:16 AM

384 posts, read 355,691 times
Many people have different definitions for "downtown" and "inner city". I think for most of us it would be the area generally covered by the inner loop, but others maybe refer to the entire city that way. To me "downtown" is perfectly safe.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
Many people have different definitions for "downtown" and "inner city". I think for most of us it would be the area generally covered by the inner loop, but others maybe refer to the entire city that way. To me "downtown" is perfectly safe.
I haven't been downtown in a couple years. Most US cities are seeing a rebirth in a lot of ways, so I'm assuming that downtown Rochester is improving. The big problem is usually in the evenings. Unless there's a residential population density of around 20 - 30,000 ppsm (at least), I find that sidewalks empty out in many places (except outside bars...until 2am).

That being said, how is downtown Rochester during weekends and evenings.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 AM

384 posts, read 355,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I haven't been downtown in a couple years. Most US cities are seeing a rebirth in a lot of ways, so I'm assuming that downtown Rochester is improving. The big problem is usually in the evenings. Unless there's a residential population density of around 20 - 30,000 ppsm (at least), I find that sidewalks empty out in many places (except outside bars...until 2am).

That being said, how is downtown Rochester during weekends and evenings.
I would consider it fine. I am downtown at least once a week during the evening, more so in the winter going to the BCA for sporting events, and have been doing so for at least 10 years. I have never had an issue aside from the occasional person on East Ave asking for money. I can understand how someone who is downtown less often may even see something like that as a reason to not go down there, but it's easy enough to say "Sorry, I can't help you today" and keep walking.

As far as population goes, the residential population downtown has been growing steadily for years and I would guess is around 7,000 or so right now which is not bad for a smaller downtown like Rochester's. It is also due to add another couple thousand in the next year or two which should lead to even more general activity on the sidewalks especially on Main St near East.

I understand the empty sidewalks thing, but I have never felt unsafe downtown.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I would consider it fine. I am downtown at least once a week during the evening, more so in the winter going to the BCA for sporting events, and have been doing so for at least 10 years. I have never had an issue aside from the occasional person on East Ave asking for money. I can understand how someone who is downtown less often may even see something like that as a reason to not go down there, but it's easy enough to say "Sorry, I can't help you today" and keep walking.

As far as population goes, the residential population downtown has been growing steadily for years and I would guess is around 7,000 or so right now which is not bad for a smaller downtown like Rochester's. It is also due to add another couple thousand in the next year or two which should lead to even more general activity on the sidewalks especially on Main St near East.

I understand the empty sidewalks thing, but I have never felt unsafe downtown.
I live in South Philly and work in Center City, so seeing homeless people or folks asking for money isn't so much a concern to me (although some folks can be very aggressive, but that's a less common situation). Nothing is scarier to me than being the only person on a street in the dark. It just takes the wrong person to turn the corner and have his eyes fixate on you and the situation changes quickly. There are parts of Center City I stay away from for this exact reason.

But I also know what you're saying. I'm thrilled to hear that Downtown Rochester is improving. I love going to the Genesee Brewery in High Falls. There are some beautiful views in downtown for sure.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:02 PM

376 posts, read 598,476 times
Downtown Roc is improving but just barely. I wouldn't personally call it "improvement" at all, only that it seems to have stopped deteriorating. Roc hasn't seem much of urban revival, and I wouldn't count on it.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Downtown Roc is improving but just barely. I wouldn't personally call it "improvement" at all, only that it seems to have stopped deteriorating. Roc hasn't seem much of urban revival, and I wouldn't count on it.
huh? Filling up an empty 18 story tower (Tower 280) with high end apartments is "barely" improving? Along with the other 857 million in the pipeline on projects right now? Yeah, I wouldn't count on any urban renewal with so many projects going forward right now and 857 million in investment.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 PM

376 posts, read 598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
huh? Filling up an empty 18 story tower (Tower 280) with high end apartments is "barely" improving? Along with the other 857 million in the pipeline on projects right now? Yeah, I wouldn't count on any urban renewal with so many projects going forward right now and 857 million in investment.
Yeah, let's cherry pick the data and decide how Roc is doing based on a single building, and ignore the obvious fact that Roc has been decaying for well over half a century, and continues to lag the country. This is no fault of Roc, and is part of the general trend of decay for upstate NY and other parts of the country like upstate as a whole. There is absolutely no way for Roc to get out of this trap any time in the foreseeable future. No building and no amount of investment will change that.

2014: Rochester second-to-last in America for economic growth
Report: Rochester second-to-last in America for economic growth

2015:Rochester population falls out of top 100
Rochester population falls out of top 100

2016: Rochester has slowest growing economy in nation
Study: Rochester has slowest growing economy in nation | WHEC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area