U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 PM

696 posts, read 617,315 times

Advertisements

This news article talks about it Teachers' union pushes for tax cap override for Pittsford CSD budget | WHEC.com basically pittsford schools wants to increase property taxes above the state limit and will vote on it. When I was a kid I went to pittsford schools and they did the same thing. School was fine before the increase and when they got the increase they didn't spend the money on education they just wasted it on dumb stuff. The teachers actually talked to us about the tax increase and told us to tell our parents to to vote yes, and that our taxes would only go up a couple dollars a year, when they really went up by almost 50% which was thousands of dollars more. Taxes are already very high and they have plenty on money to spend on the schools. The school budget vote is Tuesday, May 16 from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Barker Road Middle School. Make sure you vote no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 12:05 AM

1,207 posts, read 913,121 times
And this goes to precisely the point I keep making. Tax payers DO control 70% of their property tax by voting on school budgets. Pittsford residents completely control whether their school taxes go up 2% or more. And it's not just a simple majority needed. 60% of voters have to approve the budget in order for the school to override tax cap.

I'll be interested in watching how this plays out.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 PM

696 posts, read 617,315 times
Good news and bad news,
The votes have been counted. The good news is that the people voted no. The bad news is that that pittsford schools, instead of accepting the will of the people, are going to try again and have another vote on june 20 to try to pass it again. Make sure you vote no then too. This article talks about the results of the vote. Pittsford CSD considers options after budget fails in vote | WHEC.com

Last edited by tar21; 05-17-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 PM

8,124 posts, read 9,566,811 times
Glad to see the residents get out and make their wishes known, but why do they get another vote this isn't the recess playground, you don't get a do over. It seems like the teachers union soliciting support is in a conflict of interest there only concern is to increase their pay/benefits. Is there any chance that the proposed budget did not include pay/benefit increases for the union members?

Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 PM

1,207 posts, read 913,121 times
They get a second chance at offering a budget, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to present the same budget. In order to have it pass they can modify the budget to bring it inline with the cap. I haven't read anything stating they plan on presenting the same budget a second time?

But also, I doubt they would present the same budget, because if it fails on a second vote, then they have to default to the contingency budget which means it can't be a larger budget than the previous year (0% increase). If they present a budget within the tax cap (2% or less), it is more likely to pass (they need simple majority instead of super majority). So I highly doubt they'll offer up the same 6% increase again on June 20.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:07 AM

23 posts, read 24,846 times
Remember to check out SeeThroughNY :: Home to see all the outrageous teacher / government employee salaries, not to mention the unbelievable tax free pension payments and health care benefits to these people that you all are slaving away to pay here in NY! Also, in NY, your representatives have voted in state constitution protection for these pensions. Your increases don't help students at all, they only serve to line the pockets of these sick and greedy individual and unions.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:38 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,657,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessAndLost View Post
Remember to check out SeeThroughNY :: Home to see all the outrageous teacher / government employee salaries, not to mention the unbelievable tax free pension payments and health care benefits to these people that you all are slaving away to pay here in NY! Also, in NY, your representatives have voted in state constitution protection for these pensions. Your increases don't help students at all, they only serve to line the pockets of these sick and greedy individual and unions.
Not to mention they pay nothing or close to nothing for health.

I know people there paying over $200/week for the family plan at their private sector job, plus HSA, plus deductibles ranging from $6500-$12,500. So sad.

How a teacher making so much money, and with all of their union protections and job security, can't be bothered to shell out another few buck per week for health is beyond me.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,049,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Not to mention they pay nothing or close to nothing for health.

I know people there paying over $200/week for the family plan at their private sector job, plus HSA, plus deductibles ranging from $6500-$12,500. So sad.

How a teacher making so much money, and with all of their union protections and job security, can't be bothered to shell out another few buck per week for health is beyond me.
I got into it with a girl I knew years ago, it was shortly after we all had graduated college. I told her she made more than most of the STEM graduates I knew, myself included in the area. She never quite understood the beef that I had when I complained about taxes - we were paying her salary but we made less than she did.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,338,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I got into it with a girl I knew years ago, it was shortly after we all had graduated college. I told her she made more than most of the STEM graduates I knew, myself included in the area. She never quite understood the beef that I had when I complained about taxes - we were paying her salary but we made less than she did.

This is what things like Trump and Brexit are all about. People have awakened to the fact that they don't have a government anymore. The government has them (us). I don't know about you, Davey, but when I total things up, I pay over 50% of my income in taxes. I thought slavery was abolished?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 PM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This is what things like Trump and Brexit are all about. People have awakened to the fact that they don't have a government anymore. The government has them (us). I don't know about you, Davey, but when I total things up, I pay over 50% of my income in taxes. I thought slavery was abolished?
Nope, read the 13th Amendment and think of other forms of captivity.......

Again, it goes back to considering if we need this structure in terms of school districts, some municipalities, law enforcement agencies, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or