Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starspangledleaf View Post
Well, we're back. Buffalo did not end up impressing us (although downtown was O.K.). However, it was amazing to be just over an hour away from my family and I think we have finally settled on our decision, and we're going Buffalo. Actually, we're going a little crazy and are likely headed to Hamburg, just south of Buffalo (population 56k . And before someone jumps in with "the culture-shock is going to be insane for your husband" please know that he was the one pushing us further from the city. At one point, we were looking at a home on 6 acres, and he was pretty excited about the prospect of having land...I don't know what's gotten into him :P ). This journey has been a whirlwind and I've flip-flopped more times than even I could imagine. Actually, when we left my family this past weekend, we announced that we had decided on Rochester. But a ten-hour drive really gives you a lot of thinking time...

Hands-down, Rochester is a better city (despite what all the Buffalonians have told us ). I love the relaxed nature of it, the lack of traffic, the niceness of the people, the closeness to the lake and your undying love for Wegmans (checked one out. They are pretty awesome, I'll admit). But, in Buffalo-extended I'll be nearer to my family, and they would actually come visit (they said Rochester would just be too far, and with my parents crossing over into their 70s and my siblings having young children, closer is probably the better way to go). So, in the end I'm not getting the city-life I want, nor the walkability, but I will have actual grass for once (the dog will be happy at least) and I'll be close enough to drive up to Canada every week, if I wanted to. If in a few years the city doesn't grow on us or we absolutely hate living there, then we'll evaluate another move.

Eaglewings1, I'm sure if you look into Rochester further you'll be very impressed. If you too end up in Buffalo, let me know!

Thank you all for your help, especially ckhthankgod for providing an immense amount of data.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Thanks and I hope everything works out well...

I'm kind of surprised that Lockport wasn't an option in terms of further out and walkability. Are you going to be in the village of Hamburg or in the town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:43 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,320,747 times
Now that we've lost out on you, I feel guilty for suggesting Buffalo lol. I hope all goes well though and it sounds like you've made a good decision.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 PM

46 posts, read 75,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you going to be in the village of Hamburg or in the town?
Close to the village, but not technically in the village. My understanding is this reduces the property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Now that we've lost out on you, I feel guilty for suggesting Buffalo lol. I hope all goes well though and it sounds like you've made a good decision.
Thanks, 585WNY. I hope it all goes well also. I think both hubby and I are a little nervous about the move in general, but hopefully it turns out to be the right decision. And, if not, Rochester will be waiting for me. [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 AM

384 posts, read 355,644 times
The one thing I will add is that have you looked into the difference in snowfall between North and South Buffalo? I am no expert on their weather but from what I understand the south towns get it much worse most of the time, just something to consider.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Thanks, UncleBenny, that's what we've been hearing as well. Looks like they get the lake effect pretty badly there. I don't think it will be too bad, and more like the winters I was used to growing up. It is still something to consider though.

One of the motivating factors behind Hamburg is that we would be able to build new, which allows us to get the 200 amp service as well as Verizon FIOS (i.e., my husband's work necessities). Lockport, NY, for example, doesn't get the Verizon coverage.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks, UncleBenny, that's what we've been hearing as well. Looks like they get the lake effect pretty badly there. I don't think it will be too bad, and more like the winters I was used to growing up. It is still something to consider though.

One of the motivating factors behind Hamburg is that we would be able to build new, which allows us to get the 200 amp service as well as Verizon FIOS (i.e., my husband's work necessities). Lockport, NY, for example, doesn't get the Verizon coverage.
Just curious, but do you know if Wheatfield gets the Verizon coverage? I'm only asking because it has been a town that has grown quite a bit since the 1990's and is closer to your family in Hamilton. So, it should have its share of newer built homes.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but do you know if Wheatfield gets the Verizon coverage? I'm only asking because it has been a town that has grown quite a bit since the 1990's and is closer to your family in Hamilton. So, it should have its share of newer built homes.
Unfortunately, no. The Verizon website does list Lockport as having it, but when I put in a random address from Lockport to verify service, it said it did not (for Wheatfield, it's not listed on their website as one of the locations having it and my random address service request also said it wasn't available). It must only be in specific pockets.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. The Verizon website does list Lockport as having it, but when I put in a random address from Lockport to verify service, it said it did not (for Wheatfield, it's not listed on their website as one of the locations having it and my random address service request also said it wasn't available). It must only be in specific pockets.
Got it and thanks for that. That would have been nice, as that part of the Buffalo metro gets lower average snowfall totals than the Southtowns and the closer proximity to family would have been nice.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 PM

821 posts, read 759,768 times
Good luck in Buffalo! I live in the southtowns and spend a lot of time in Hamburg. It is a really nice, safe, growing town. Sorry you couldn't go to Rochester; hope we don't disappoint.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Good luck in Buffalo! I live in the southtowns and spend a lot of time in Hamburg. It is a really nice, safe, growing town. Sorry you couldn't go to Rochester; hope we don't disappoint.
I have high hopes! And that's great to hear that the town is growing. I'll post back here once we've moved and have been settled for a bit. And cjoseph, I might just have to send you a private message if I run into any highly local questions along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area