Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM

122 posts, read 790,558 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research into diversity in area schools. If you don't want to understand why this issue is important, just note that I will not be acknowledging your comments.

My husband and I have a small, biracial family, one school-age child & one on the way. We currently live in Brighton w/ Penfield schools, and the glaring lack of diversity here has been slowly getting to us. Since we might move to a bigger house in the near future anyway, we're looking into areas that are more diverse (no, I don't really consider Brighton diverse), relatively safe, & offer access to a decent education. We don't believe in private or charter schools for our own reasons (spouse is a public school teacher). I've looked into Rochester schools, and it seems like it's worked out for some folks here and there. Can anyone share their experiences with RCSD, including whether it's really that difficult to work with the system? Is the lottery system too risky to move house?

I'm from NYC originally and had to apply to middle school onward. I didn't want that for my kid, but maybe it's not as stressful here as in NYC? Hoping so.

Any info appreciated.

Last edited by woofenstein; 08-01-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Brighton within the Brighton SD would be more diverse than Penfield, but it may be a matter of to what degree of diversity you are looking for. Would say to look into Rush-Henrietta or perhaps East Irondequoit in terms of suburban SD's, as both are about 30-40% students of color. Gates-Chili is in the 25-30% range in that regard, if I'm not mistaken. I'll put it this way, if you went to watch the Football or Basketball teams from those high schools, I would say that those teams are probably close to/if not above being half black in terms of player makeup or will have Hispanic/Latino and Asian athletes on some teams. Greece and (West) Irondequoit HS's are similar in this regard as well(both are in the 20-25% range in terms of students of color).

In terms of RCSD, Francis Parker Elementary(aka School 23, I believe) in the Park Avenue area appears to be the "best" elementary school in the district. From there, I believe you can go with School of the Arts(SOTA) or perhaps the International Baccalaureate program at Wilson Magnet, among some other potential programs, in terms of the best middle and high school programs in the district. I believe that there are some other decent/solid elementary schools in some of the other outer city neighborhoods as well.

Hope this helps and that others will chime in with more information.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-01-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Thank you! This info is VERY helpful, and I'll look into those other districts (East Irondequoit, etc.). We ARE looking for something even more diverse than Brighton. I'll put it this way -- I went to the Brighton farmer's market recently and was one of only a small handful of minorities present. It's an odd feeling I like to avoid.

Francis Parker Elementary has come up in my searches, and it seems great. But I get the sense there's no guarantee your child can attend a preferred school even if you live close by? Maybe someone else can speak to this.

Thanks again!

Old 08-01-2017, 05:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
I also second East Irondequoit and the city schools ckhthankgod mentions. It is a very diverse school and would probably be exactly what you are looking for.

Also you mention Brighton's public market. Have you also been to the city's public market?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I also second East Irondequoit and the city schools ckhthankgod mentions. It is a very diverse school and would probably be exactly what you are looking for.

Also you mention Brighton's public market. Have you also been to the city's public market?
Here are a couple of areas in that district that may work: Census Block Group 011000-4 in Monroe County, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1776...7i13312!8i6656

Census Block Group 011000-5 in Monroe County, New York
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1867...7i13312!8i6656

Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post

I have, and it's pretty much the best. I only went to the Brighton one because the poutine truck was there that day, & out of curiosity.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 AM

Here are some other middle class suburban areas/neighborhoods that may also work, relatively speaking: Census Block Group 013206-2 in Monroe County, New York

Census Tract 013205 in Monroe County, New York

Census Block Group 013001-4 in Monroe County, New York
Tract it is in: Census Tract 013001 in Monroe County, New York

Census Block Group 014400-1 in Monroe County, New York
Census Block Group 014400-5 in Monroe County, New York
Tract they are in: Census Tract 014400 in Monroe County, New York

Census Block Group 014504-1 in Monroe County, New York
Tract it is in: Census Tract 014504 in Monroe County, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area