Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM

384 posts, read 355,691 times

Advertisements

Rochester gets the Amazon spin-off effect | WHEC.com

This exactly what some of us had hoped out of the whole Amazon HQ2 thing. Sure it is probably a stretch to think we would have a serious shot at landing Amazon here, but the fact that Rochester was called out from different sources along with other big name cities has seemingly led to increased opportunities to lure smaller businesses here, which certainly isn't bad for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post

This exactly what some of us had hoped out of the whole Amazon HQ2 thing. Sure it is probably a stretch to think we would have a serious shot at landing Amazon here, but the fact that Rochester was called out from different sources along with other big name cities has seemingly led to increased opportunities to lure smaller businesses here, which certainly isn't bad for the area.
They're a little premature in this story. No new businesses have come or expanded yet. They're all in talks. Talk is talk. Until facilities are remodeled or expanded and employees are actually working, I don't get excited. I've seen soooooooo many of these deals fall apart in the 11th hour or have months/years of delays.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:25 PM

308 posts, read 467,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
They're a little premature in this story. No new businesses have come or expanded yet. They're all in talks. Talk is talk. Until facilities are remodeled or expanded and employees are actually working, I don't get excited. I've seen soooooooo many of these deals fall apart in the 11th hour or have months/years of delays.
How many deals have you been a part of that you've seen fall apart?

Just having Rochester's name elevated in the list has intangible benefits and brings out additional awareness of the area.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:39 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post

I saw this in the D&C and it struck me just how creative Rochester is
Nation's Fringe Festivals coming to Rochester to study Rochester model

Creativity is paramount in young, fast growing businesses. I wonder how much longer it will be before more companies decide to leave the high COL cities and give us a look.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
How many deals have you been a part of that you've seen fall apart?

Just having Rochester's name elevated in the list has intangible benefits and brings out additional awareness of the area.
Very few business transactions are announced before they sign on the dotted line. There's a hotel in Canandaigua that's been under construction for about 2 years. It's been a shell for well over a year. Construction haunted over a year ago due to "lack of financing". Meanwhile the owner has been building other projects.

Deals fall apart all the time. I don't get excited until jobs are posted and hiring begins. That's when a project is a reality.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:58 AM

I wonder if many people realize that the Rochester region has created about 100,000 jobs in the past 20 years. Of course it doesn't show up in the stats, but when you consider Kodak -60,000 jobs, Xerox -14,000 jobs, B&L, Delco, Valio, GM, Alliance tool, etc I think we've done pretty well. I know there were some spin-offs like Caresteam and J&J, but not that many.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I wonder if many people realize that the Rochester region has created about 100,000 jobs in the past 20 years. Of course it doesn't show up in the stats, but when you consider Kodak -60,000 jobs, Xerox -14,000 jobs, B&L, Delco, Valio, GM, Alliance tool, etc I think we've done pretty well. I know there were some spin-offs like Caresteam and J&J, but not that many.
That averages out to about 5,000 jobs a year in a massive area. The ROC MSA includes a good portion of the Finger Lakes. The ROC MSA has about 1.3 million people. So gaining 5,000 jobs a year is peanuts especially compared to jobs lost.

It's sad how stagnant the whole state is outside of NYC. Our population is declining. This is one of the toughest states to do business in. The COL is significantly higher than the states that are growing. Our government leaders really need to wake up and fix NY. We can't change the weather, but there is a lot that they can improve upon.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Rochester is still holding its own. Fortune Magazine did an updated article on the gambling website PaddyPower which has Rochester at 16-1 odds (in the top 10) and is being put next to cities like Chicago, Toronto and Philadelphia.

Amazon Second Headquarters: Atlanta and Austin Now Lead | Fortune

Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 PM

376 posts, read 598,476 times
It would be idiotic for Amazon to put their HQ2 in Rochester. Rochester simply doesn't have the infrastructure or talent pool or general desirability required for this. Recruiting would be difficult.
Business travel would be hell as well. Some place like Philly would make way more sense.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM

I hope that after the Rochester-Buffalo bid was rejected, that Rochester resubmitted it's own bid, that seemed to get more talk. In fact, as I look at it, until the final city is chosen, anything can happen. I guess I just expect our leaders to fight for us and bring more jobs. Is that too much to ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area