Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times

Advertisements

There are many places they could fit, such as Eastman Business Park, the Xerox Webster complex or Rochester Tech Park for instance. Here's another place, especially if they want an urban campus- Downtown, north of Main St. In fact, if we continue to fill in the inner loop, that would be perfect. It would be adjacent to the rail station where we could have a commuter rail bringing in people not only from our suburbs, but from Buffalo and Syracuse too. Does Amazon know about the Strong Museum of Play and Video Game Hall of Fame? And the expansion turning the whole neighborhood into a giant video game? How about RIT and their Programing programs and Dream Studio? To bad we don't still have the Fast Ferry to Toronto, but maybe we could bring that back.

We have a proven record of hosting large scale operations and rapid growth. We have a highly educated workforce, so why not Rochester?

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
They need a bigger airport. That's why Boston is really in the running.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
They need a bigger airport. That's why Boston is really in the running.
There are airport expansions occurring across the state, but the airport would likely have to add a couple of flights.

As for a location, is there any room near RIT? That might work due to proximity to potential talent and the airport.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 AM

821 posts, read 760,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
There are many places they could fit, such as Eastman Business Park, the Xerox Webster complex or Rochester Tech Park for instance. Here's another place, especially if they want an urban campus- Downtown, north of Main St. In fact, if we continue to fill in the inner loop, that would be perfect. It would be adjacent to the rail station where we could have a commuter rail bringing in people not only from our suburbs, but from Buffalo and Syracuse too. Does Amazon know about the Strong Museum of Play and Video Game Hall of Fame? And the expansion turning the whole neighborhood into a giant video game? How about RIT and their Programing programs and Dream Studio? To bad we don't still have the Fast Ferry to Toronto, but maybe we could bring that back.

We have a proven record of hosting large scale operations and rapid growth. We have a highly educated workforce, so why not Rochester?

Any other ideas?
I do think Rochester does have an edge over Buffalo on this one. However, there is a miniscule chance for either city.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 AM

384 posts, read 355,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
I do think Rochester does have an edge over Buffalo on this one. However, there is a miniscule chance for either city.
Pretty much agree here, don't want to be pessimistic but what incentive does Amazon have to take a chance on an area like Rochester/Buffalo when they could go to any big city that could likely support their needs better? Unless NYS threw a ton of money at them, I don't think we are realistic choices.

Also I don't want it to sound like landing a huge company like this would be a bad thing for either city, but I really don't think people would be able to handle the change associated with that many new residents flooding the area in a couple year span. I know in Rochester at least, its a pretty tough housing market with decent houses in the suburbs going almost immediately, how's that going to work out with 10-20,000 more people coming in at a minimum? Sure it would work itself out over time, I'm just not sure current residents would be able to deal with the transformation considering the way people fight every big project that seems to come up around here.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
It looks like Louise Slaughter was at a Google's DC HQ's presenting to companies (Google, Microsoft, Boeing) about the AIM Photonics and the Remade Institute. Interestingly Amazon was there watching the presentation too. Louise made a quick pitch to them too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTrvc06KMEI

Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 PM

355 posts, read 390,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

Any other ideas?
People can commute on the fast ferry. Rochester Not. Don't even entertaini this.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
According to WHEC, the Heidelberg Building in Gates fits the exact criteria Amazon is looking for and is ready for a tenant.

Empty building in Gates would fit needs for Amazon's 2nd headquarters | WHEC.com

That being said, I think downtown would be ideal for the reasons you cited. We could easily construct a high rise that is 500,000 square feet and it's proximity to mass transit and a millennial demographic would work well.

I think for Rochester to be chosen, a few things need to happen. Our local leaders have to create an absolute out of this word pitch and knock it out of the park when presenting it to Amazon, and New York State needs to heavily subsidize their move. Otherwise we're toast. There are far too many other cities that are better suited for Amazon, if for nothing more than their state's more business friendly environment. I suspect Boston, Charotte, Austin and Toronto will end up fighting for the HQ when all is said and done. Looking at it from their perspective, I just don't see how a past it's prime rust belt city in upstate New York offers anything that special to set itself apart from the top contenders.

GeekWire actually ranked the top 59 metros in North America by Amazon's criteria. Rochester came in at number 27 (we ranked first in housing & affordability, nearly last in business friendly tax environment). Toronto actually took the top slot, so if we do get chosen, our proximity to Toronto may play a major role. Our airport needs a direct flight to Seattle though.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/

It's a long shot, but until the choice is made, it will remain a dream of mine. I hope it happens.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
A couple of things to consider too. I was trying to understand why exactly Amazon would have been at a presentation about AIM photonics and the Remade Institute being driven by RIT. But if you think about it, what is Amazon's biggest challenge to its business model? That is delivery. Both from the perspective of efficiency and cost. And I know that Amazon has been investigating driver-less technology. Driverless technology is going to be driven with sensors and software. So basically exactly the types of technologies the AIM institute is going to be researching.

Secondly, Rochester also has a battery storage technology research facility at Eastman Business Park. That quite frankly seems like the perfect fit for the types of research that I can see Amazon being very interested in. People assume that Amazon is a big giant online retailer. But it's much, much more than that. It is really a technology company that needs to set itself up for a future where fuel is very expensive and deliveries aren't essentially subsidized by the US Postal Office.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:39 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
A couple of things to consider too. I was trying to understand why exactly Amazon would have been at a presentation about AIM photonics and the Remade Institute being driven by RIT. But if you think about it, what is Amazon's biggest challenge to its business model? That is delivery. Both from the perspective of efficiency and cost. And I know that Amazon has been investigating driver-less technology. Driverless technology is going to be driven with sensors and software. So basically exactly the types of technologies the AIM institute is going to be researching.

Secondly, Rochester also has a battery storage technology research facility at Eastman Business Park. That quite frankly seems like the perfect fit for the types of research that I can see Amazon being very interested in. People assume that Amazon is a big giant online retailer. But it's much, much more than that. It is really a technology company that needs to set itself up for a future where fuel is very expensive and deliveries aren't essentially subsidized by the US Postal Office.
That second point is why I mentioned the Drone Industry in regards to the CNY region.

I think a part of the issue with NY goes beyond the "business climate", but people forget about the industries that are being invested in within the state in order for it to be competitive. It doesn't hurt Rochester or other NY State to actually compete in this competition, because it set itself up for other companies and for ideas for companies here to expand or grow. So, I say compete anyway, because it could set up these areas for growth in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area