Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I hope that after the Rochester-Buffalo bid was rejected, that Rochester resubmitted it's own bid, that seemed to get more talk. In fact, as I look at it, until the final city is chosen, anything can happen. I guess I just expect our leaders to fight for us and bring more jobs. Is that too much to ask?
Resubmit? The bidding process for the initial round is long over. There will be a group of cites invited to make further plans in the next round.....they're not opening it up to new cities. Amazon isn't coming here! Never was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Resubmit? The bidding process for the initial round is long over. There will be a group of cites invited to make further plans in the next round.....they're not opening it up to new cities. Amazon isn't coming here! Never was.

To some, the glass is half empty, to the winners, it's half full

Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
To some, the glass is half empty, to the winners, it's half full
In Rochester's case - and the vast majority of applicants - there was never even a glass. It was a pipe dream. The same kind of dream that Seneca County and the town of Tyre that thought IKEA would be interested in building there.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In Rochester's case - and the vast majority of applicants - there was never even a glass. It was a pipe dream. The same kind of dream that Seneca County and the town of Tyre that thought IKEA would be interested in building there.
So what? I'm not even sure what your argument is. Is it that you think since the odds are stacked against you that you shouldn't still try?

As I've said many times. Point out to me a CEO of a very successful company that doesn't believe his company is number 1 in every thing they do.

I love this quote from Elon Musk
Quote:
"If something is important enough, even if the odds are against you, you should still do it."
We should be sending that bid and knocking down Amazon's door until the day they announce where the HQ2 will be. I don't give a rat if it's a pipe dream or not or that they've announced a set of cities as finalists. keep bugging the heck out of them.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
So what? I'm not even sure what your argument is. Is it that you think since the odds are stacked against you that you shouldn't still try?

As I've said many times. Point out to me a CEO of a very successful company that doesn't believe his company is number 1 in every thing they do.

We should be sending that bid and knocking down Amazon's door until the day they announce where the HQ2 will be. I don't give a rat if it's a pipe dream or not or that they've announced a set of cities as finalists. keep bugging the heck out of them.

Yes, thanks db. You get it. I don't understand the point of the others just to say negative stuff

Old 02-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post

I never said Rochester shouldn't try. They tried and failed. The competition is incredibly steep. Over 200 municipalities put in a bid. The vast majority of them had no chance. Only a handful ever had a real chance.

Elon Musk has his own issues. I don't see him around here!

It's clear you don't know how the bidding process works! You don't keep harassing a company because you want them to come. They set the parameters. They put out the invite and gave a cut off date. Once that date has past, they're not entertaining anything from you. Knocking down a company's door is not going to win you any points with the decision makers. Bugging them will only annoy them and tell you to bug off. If you continue, they can file a complaint for harassment. If it continues, a person can be criminally charged with harassment. So how does knocking down their door help?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, thanks db. You get it. I don't understand the point of the others just to say negative stuff
It's called being realistic.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 PM

Rochester on it's own was getting some good press. They turned down the joint proposal. Why shouldn't Rochester try an independent proposal?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Rochester on it's own was getting some good press. They turned down the joint proposal. Why shouldn't Rochester try an independent proposal?
That ship has sailed! The deadline to apply was last year! There's no submitting a new proposal now.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:26 PM

376 posts, read 599,026 times
I think it's good to get Rochester's name out there and maybe get some positive coverage. However, I doubt anyone was seriously thinking Amazon was gonna make Roc its 2nd HQ. Roc simply make no sense as a location. It doesn't even have direct flight to Amazon's current HQ in Seattle nor to anything of the tech hubs in SF/Silicon Valley, not to mention various international locations where Amazon conducts business. This is just one factor. Let's not even get into the difficulty of recruiting in Rochester for Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area