Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:24 PM

85 posts, read 104,242 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving from NYC to Downtown Rochester. I do not have a car and do not drive. Is a car absolutely necessary to live in Rochester?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 AM

308 posts, read 467,083 times
A car is convenient for getting outside the downtown area but not necessary. The public transit system here is mostly hub and spoke, with downtown being the hub, so you can get to most areas in the county via bus. Uber and Lyft are prevalent here and you can catch them easily. There are a couple smaller markets walkable from downtown for most groceries. Anything larger and you would take a bus or other transit options. The nearest Wegmans is just about 2 miles. It's a nice walk through some of the best areas Rochester has to offer, and then I would catch a ride back. Entertainment and restaurant options are more prevalent and walkable.

Reddit has good Rochester forum where you would likely get more replies. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Pretty much. I lived in Downtown Rochester without a car and it was difficult. Moving from New York City to Rochester is going to be a huge adjustment. We're not a one horse town with zero options, but RTS is no MTA (they don't even belong in the same discussion, truthfully) and unfortunately we lack the urban culture that allows for a viable car-free lifestyle.

I moved out of downtown just a few years ago. When I was there I would walk from my apartment to the transit center daily, wait anywhere from 5-20 minutes for the bus to take me to my job in the suburbs. Then I'd sit on that bus for a good 40 minutes. Same thing back home. All in all, using public transit turned a 15 minute drive to an hour long journey. Unfortunately, most jobs exist in the suburbs of Rochester rather than the urban core. The us runs less frequently after 8:00 and stops at 1:00am. If you can find a decent job downtown, jump on it, but they are far and few between and are mostly limited to legal and government positions.

Grocery shopping was alright. We do have Hart's, which I love, but they are small, pricier and sometimes you have to go to Wegmans for certain things. The closest one is on East Avenue practically in Brighton, so you'll have to lug groceries around and time your shopping around the bus schedule, which is not as frequent as it should be. Restaurant and entertainment options are better. There are dozens of walkable spots to eat, many bars, clubs, museums, theaters, etc. downtown or very close to it. For a Saturday night out, you'll definitely be good. Again though, I have to point out that Rochester does not support urban retail very well. As an example, we have a newly redeveloped mixed use building called Tower280 that opened in 2015, yet three years later it still only has one retail tenant. Other popular and successful chains such as Tim Horron's and Moe's have closed within the last few years and their storefronts remain vacant. Others like Subway and some independent spots have adjusted their hours so they close earlier. Most places downtown close around 5:00pm or even lunchtime, unless it's next door to a club. We have virtually zero options downtown for shopping so trips to clothing/department/hardware stores will require a trek to the suburbs.

As the poster above me noted, we now have Uber/Lyft which make travel without a car far more convenient, but it's also expensive. The bus is a buck. Ridesharing can run you anywhere from $5-$20 depending on the distance.

My recommendation would be if you can drive, do it. It will make life insanely more convenient and you'll have better opportunities around here with a car. I wish we had a culture more like New York City's, and we're working on improving out urbanity, we're just not there yet.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Pretty much. I lived in Downtown Rochester without a car and it was difficult. Moving from New York City to Rochester is going to be a huge adjustment. We're not a one horse town with zero options, but RTS is no MTA (they don't even belong in the same discussion, truthfully) and unfortunately we lack the urban culture that allows for a viable car-free lifestyle.

I moved out of downtown just a few years ago. When I was there I would walk from my apartment to the transit center daily, wait anywhere from 5-20 minutes for the bus to take me to my job in the suburbs. Then I'd sit on that bus for a good 40 minutes. Same thing back home. All in all, using public transit turned a 15 minute drive to an hour long journey. Unfortunately, most jobs exist in the suburbs of Rochester rather than the urban core. The us runs less frequently after 8:00 and stops at 1:00am. If you can find a decent job downtown, jump on it, but they are far and few between and are mostly limited to legal and government positions.

Grocery shopping was alright. We do have Hart's, which I love, but they are small, pricier and sometimes you have to go to Wegmans for certain things. The closest one is on East Avenue practically in Brighton, so you'll have to lug groceries around and time your shopping around the bus schedule, which is not as frequent as it should be. Restaurant and entertainment options are better. There are dozens of walkable spots to eat, many bars, clubs, museums, theaters, etc. downtown or very close to it. For a Saturday night out, you'll definitely be good. Again though, I have to point out that Rochester does not support urban retail very well. As an example, we have a newly redeveloped mixed use building called Tower280 that opened in 2015, yet three years later it still only has one retail tenant. Other popular and successful chains such as Tim Horron's and Moe's have closed within the last few years and their storefronts remain vacant. Others like Subway and some independent spots have adjusted their hours so they close earlier. Most places downtown close around 5:00pm or even lunchtime, unless it's next door to a club. We have virtually zero options downtown for shopping so trips to clothing/department/hardware stores will require a trek to the suburbs.

As the poster above me noted, we now have Uber/Lyft which make travel without a car far more convenient, but it's also expensive. The bus is a buck. Ridesharing can run you anywhere from $5-$20 depending on the distance.

My recommendation would be if you can drive, do it. It will make life insanely more convenient and you'll have better opportunities around here with a car. I wish we had a culture more like New York City's, and we're working on improving out urbanity, we're just not there yet.
Just throwing it out there, but if the OP worked at say Harris Communications or Hickey Freeman in other parts of the city, about how long of a bus ride would that be to places like those two from Downtown?

Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Just curious, Leo, will you be looking for work, or do you already have a job lined up, or not work? BTW, having a car and living downtown is not the same issue as NYC. Many people do, maybe most people.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:13 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just throwing it out there, but if the OP worked at say Harris Communications or Hickey Freeman in other parts of the city, about how long of a bus ride would that be to places like those two from Downtown?
That would be much more doable. I'd say no more than 10-15 minutes per trip depending on how many stops/traffic/weather. The only problem would be waiting if they work into the evening hours, but I wouldn't mind it nearly as much as commuting to the suburbs.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:39 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

In either one of those instances, choosing where to locate downtown is the key. They're building about 200 units next to the George Eastman Museum, right down the street from Harris. Gleasons too. You could walk to either one of those places. The same with Hickey Freeman. Just live on, or near Clinton downtown and take local bus.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:13 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
In either one of those instances, choosing where to locate downtown is the key. They're building about 200 units next to the George Eastman Museum, right down the street from Harris. Gleasons too. You could walk to either one of those places. The same with Hickey Freeman. Just live on, or near Clinton downtown and take local bus.
Yeah, that makes sense. Same with say someone that works at the Hillside facility on Mustard Street would be better off living somewhere along/near East Main.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:34 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Yes and no....depends where you're going to be working and what your needs are. It's doable, but definitely very challenging, especially during the winter, when it's brutally cold outside for waiting for buses and walking can be a tad tricky when it's snowed heavily. I get by, but I have to rely on Uber quiet a bit and online grocery delivery (either Wegmans, Harts or Walmart), which can get expensive. As others have mentioned, the nearest Wegmans will be the one on East Avenue, but there are also regular buses to the Pittsford Wegmans too, which is much bigger. You kind of have to plan your grocery shopping around the weather, if you're without a car and don't want to keep shelling out for delivery. There are quite a few small convenience-type stores though, especially on Monroe Avenue and some of them do sell limited produce.

You're going to find it difficult compared to big cities like NYC....there's obviously no subway here, but the bus system is OK and I find it to be pretty punctual and cheap. Plus, having an app like the RIT-RTS bus app and using Google Maps really helps with the schedules / figuring out how to get around navigating the bus system. I've had good experiences with Uber and Lyft here too.

Lastly, as for going anywhere beyond Rochester, you can get to NYC and Toronto via Amtrak, Greyhound and Megabus pretty cheaply.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Other popular and successful chains such as Tim Horron's and Moe's have closed within the last few years and their storefronts remain vacant.
You have a Tim Hortons location that's closed? That's unheard of here in Buffalo, heh. I doubt there's the same sort of region-wide affinity for Tim Hortons in Rochester that there is in Buffalo, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area