U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,156 times

Advertisements

I'll be coming up to Rochester later this month. My fiance is from up there and I've actually never been. Seriously considering a move so maybe I should have come in the middle of winter to make sure I could handle it but too late now. I could probably tolerate the snow and cold although it certainly isn't something I'm entirely used to.
How is the cost of living? I'm from the Ozarks. It expectedly sounds a heap more expensive than here but certainly cheaper than I thought it would be for NY. Taxes seem outrageous though.
Schools seem to be pretty good so that's a plus.
Not looking for a job up there( will be a stay at home mom) so that's not something I care much about but are there alot of stay at home moms? Lots of playgroups,parks and such I hope?
How are the hospitals esp. the Childrens hospital there in Rochester?
I'm sure I'll have a better idea later this month after I get up there as to if I can live there( well, I'll be making the best of it either way and moving, I'm sure there will be things I love about it!)Prepared for a culture shock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 PM

96 posts, read 359,982 times
Schools are fantastic and children's hospital's top-notch. Actually Strong Hospital and the Rochester area have a long and excellent history in pediatric care. There are many stay at home moms as well as many career moms so you will have lots of company. And the county park system is fabulous-- green space and playgrounds everywhere!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,882,458 times
Sounds like you'll fit in great around here. There are plenty of stay at home moms, great schools (in the suburbs at least) and plenty of parks and greenspace. Yes, our taxes are high, but you can get a lot of house for your money and groceries here tend to be cheaper than most other places. Winter can be rough but late spring, summer, and fall are beautiful in Upstate NY. As the above poster mentioned, Strong Memorial Hopstial is nationaly ranked as one of the best hospticals, espeically in pediatrics (there is also the Strong National Museum of Play, one of the best childrens museums in the country as well).

Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,782,221 times
I am a SAHM and have belonged to MOMS... it is a great group to belong to- that and MOPS are a lot alike. You might want to look it up and join- they do a lot of group playdates, field trips, Moms Nights Out (without the kids- dinners, drinks, coffee, movies...) and it is a great way to meet people if you are new to the area. I used to live in Oklahoma for a few years as a kid, visited the Ozarks quite a few times... this MIGHT be culture shock to you but you will be fine. Faster pace, but not anywhere near as fast as NYC. Rochester is very a very friendly town- you will meet people everywhere- but you won't find that EVERYONE says hello or stops to chat for long periods of time at the grocery store like they do down there. It gets cold here, very cold. Your first winter your bones will be cold. Having lived there for almost four years my body got so used to the warmth and I couldn't get rid of the chill the first winter back here... total shock to the system... but you will get used to it. There are a ton of activities for the kids in the area... look up Rochester Kids out and About... Kids Out and About They have a ton to do on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis... I get a lot of ideas from there if my kids get restless. Do you know where exactly you will be looking to move to? Good luck...

Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I am a SAHM and have belonged to MOMS... it is a great group to belong to- that and MOPS are a lot alike. You might want to look it up and join- they do a lot of group playdates, field trips, Moms Nights Out (without the kids- dinners, drinks, coffee, movies...) and it is a great way to meet people if you are new to the area. I used to live in Oklahoma for a few years as a kid, visited the Ozarks quite a few times... this MIGHT be culture shock to you but you will be fine. Faster pace, but not anywhere near as fast as NYC. Rochester is very a very friendly town- you will meet people everywhere- but you won't find that EVERYONE says hello or stops to chat for long periods of time at the grocery store like they do down there. It gets cold here, very cold. Your first winter your bones will be cold. Having lived there for almost four years my body got so used to the warmth and I couldn't get rid of the chill the first winter back here... total shock to the system... but you will get used to it. There are a ton of activities for the kids in the area... look up Rochester Kids out and About... Kids Out and About They have a ton to do on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis... I get a lot of ideas from there if my kids get restless. Do you know where exactly you will be looking to move to? Good luck...

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Initally it will be Webster, after that who knows as we'll be buying but will definitly need to stay within a 20-30 minute range of Rochester.
I have two kiddos from my first marriage so I will get right into all of those moms groups when I make my way up there. No later than the end of the year but he's holding out hope for any day now so who knows.
Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Another question for yall-
Considering Rochester is such a large city are there many transplants from the south? Obviously I'm not going to come up there and just stick to my own but I am a bit curious if I would get funny looks every time I open my mouth or wear some cowboy boots, know what I mean? I know the accents are certainly much different but I'm used to the western ny accent but it's certainly different.
Also, skbs touched on this. Hoping people won't think I'm crazy as a loon if I say hello to strangers in the grocery store line. Seems like an odd thing to ponder I guess but I don't know how well aquanited the average person in Rochester is with southerners. Who knows, maybe I'll just become a bit more reserved.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM

106 posts, read 471,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernerHeadedNorth View Post
Another question for yall-
Considering Rochester is such a large city are there many transplants from the south? Obviously I'm not going to come up there and just stick to my own but I am a bit curious if I would get funny looks every time I open my mouth or wear some cowboy boots, know what I mean? I know the accents are certainly much different but I'm used to the western ny accent but it's certainly different.
Also, skbs touched on this. Hoping people won't think I'm crazy as a loon if I say hello to strangers in the grocery store line. Seems like an odd thing to ponder I guess but I don't know how well aquanited the average person in Rochester is with southerners. Who knows, maybe I'll just become a bit more reserved.
southern,
you'll be fine- we have are a diverse community with alot of resources--there is lots to do with many festivals and attractions nearby. as previously posted the strong museum of play is great for kids and adults. as far as saying hello to strangers in line at the grocery store go ahead were not that bad you will love our grocery stores here esp. wegmans.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
southern,

did you get chance to checkout the low temps & harsh wind chills? Your eyeballs will start to freeze!! You will always have to drive a VERY reliable vehicle!!

Pittsford Resident

Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,782,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsford Resident View Post
southern,

did you get chance to checkout the low temps & harsh wind chills? Your eyeballs will start to freeze!! You will always have to drive a VERY reliable vehicle!!

Pittsford Resident
You don't need four wheel drive though... I have been driving here since I was 16- never once w/ four wheel drive... a civic and a small suv... you will be fine as long as you take it easy and don't slam on the breaks...

Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 AM

351 posts, read 2,164,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernerHeadedNorth View Post
How is the cost of living? I'm from the Ozarks. It expectedly sounds a heap more expensive than here but certainly cheaper than I thought it would be for NY. Taxes seem outrageous though.

When I was considering my next destination, so many people said Rochester was so cheap: renting was affordable, housing was cheap, etc., etc. I used BestPlaces.net (Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed) to compare costs of living and, sure enough, that guide showed Rochester, NY was 7.5% cheaper than my current location in northern FL. But when I made the decision of moving and started looking for apartments, I could not find anything equivalent to what I have now unless I was willing to pay double what I currently pay in rent. And gas and taxes are not cheap either (only electricity seems to be, and that depends on what area you live in). So I guess, as someone else has pointed out, that "cheap" is to be considered in relation to New York (everything seems cheap compared to that), but Rochester may not be a cheaper place overall.

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area