Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 10:30 AM

558 posts, read 297,384 times

Advertisements

It's hard to believe that anyone would print this, but the newspaper of record here just did. Will a failed, multi-million dollar bundle of hubris and corruption rise from disrepair and become the savior of Venezuela? Read on...

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...nt/3302273002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM

36 posts, read 69,824 times
My spouse and I were fortunate to ride that ferry once for a weekend in Toronto. Quite nonchalantly a couple sat near us and asked if they could borrow our newspaper (which wasn't even ours to give).

Conversation led to the four of us hanging out together all weekend and we remain friends to this day.

We call each other "ferry friends". LOL.

Problems and bad juju may abound with that vessel, but we have great memories from it.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 PM

1,874 posts, read 3,423,277 times
It was doomed from the beginning, and I called it a "Cadillac ferry for a Caprice Classic town", before it was delivered.

High Falls. The ferry. The soccer stadium.

Three large, failed projects done under one William Johnson, who now teaches at RIT and Fisher. Three boondoggles which scarfed up huge sums of taxpayer dollars, which will take decades to pay off.

One of the last things I remember seeing before leaving Rochester was the ferry parked down on the river. A failure of epic proportions for a dead, declining, small Rust Belt metro.

They said Canadians would come over and spend $$$ in Monroe Vty and the Finger Lakes. Instead, monied Canadians took the ferry, got on 390, and made a beeline for the Northeast Corridor.

The parallels between what's going on in Venezuela, and the sacred cows the D&C staff self-righteously promote, are striking, but I wouldn't expect the staff there or a lot of their dumb readers to "get it".

Old 03-31-2019, 06:34 AM

5,574 posts, read 4,007,647 times
The FF was potentially the best project ever brought to Rochester. Most people haven't put any thought into it, so they love to mock it. It just needed some tweaking and government support. Remember Louise Slaughter failed in getting the shipping approvals. The late Bill Nojay, who was in charge of the bus company at the time, tried to hijack the project. Remember, this was originally financed by a private citizen, Brian Prince. I applaud the mayor for undertaking the project, but it should have been state sponsored. Buffalo got $750 million for a struggling solar project in Buffalo. We could have bought 30 Fast Ferries for that much money. Let's get a new ferry for Rochester-Toronto.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,801,291 times
I wish the fast ferry was still around. I would use it. To bad is was gone before my time in this area.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:21 AM

3,512 posts, read 7,757,240 times
Honestly I didn't see the point of it, you can drive there in 3 hours or take the ferry and be there in 2 hours and 15 minutes, It never really cut off a significant amount of time to justify the cost of taking it.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:53 PM

5,574 posts, read 4,007,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Honestly I didn't see the point of it, you can drive there in 3 hours or take the ferry and be there in 2 hours and 15 minutes, It never really cut off a significant amount of time to justify the cost of taking it.

You're not alone. Most people didn't understand it either, although it could have been whatever you wanted it to be for yourself.

Here's how I saw it
*Although you could drive, you go through 100 towns. This was a DIRECT connection, and you didn't have to be concerned about boarder delays and all the stress of driving. You could just enjoy yourself for the whole trip. If you were a business person, you could hold a meeting on board.
*Rochester , with a lower COL would be an ideal place for a Canadian company to build a plant and even a US headquarters.
* Think about all the collaborations between Toronto's colleges, universities and businesses and ours, especially in areas like optics.
* The "Coolness Factor"--The ship and the concept were really quite impressive, and Milwaukee is the only other place with one, other than coastal. I can imagine college students staying here after graduation, with the ferry contributing heavily in that decision

I can go on and on and so can you unless your glass is half empty.

People complain about the $25 million. If you're paying attention, that's basically the cost of an expressway bridge. Not much in todays dollar.

Bring back The Fast Ferry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area