Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,324,558 times

Advertisements

Pretty exciting news, the city will soon be transformed by the addition of hundreds of electric scooters on our streets. City council has approved the implementation of a scooter share program, which will be operated by Zagster. Rochester will be the first city in New York State to have such a program.

https://13wham.com/news/local/electr...hester-streets

I think this is wonderful. Electric scooters are prevalent in other cities across the country and have done quite well. Companies such as Lime, Bird, Scoot, Uber and Lyft have changed the way people get around over the past few years. I don't think locals realize how big of an impact a scooter share program could have. These programs are a fairly cheap and easy option for cities who lack a comprehensive mass transit system. This could very well be the best answer to addressing our pubic transportation issue.

Our bus system is slow, infrequent and less than ideal unless you're commuting to and from downtown. Now residents and visitors will be able to get around far easier. The Pace bikes which already exist here are a decent option, but I believe the electric scooters will do far more to improve accessibility between our neighborhoods and help to spread vibrancy across the city. Electric scooters are quick, affordable (most run around 15¢ per minute) and they're fun! All you have to do is scan a QR code, hop on and cruise to your destination. Unlike bikes, which must be returned to a dedicated rack, you're able to drop your scooter off at any location so long as it isn't blocking the sidewalk, plus there will be roughly triple the amount of scooters compared to bikes, and these companies usually offer a program where individuals can charge the equipment and get paid for it. I'm delighted to see they're coming here.

The only genuine concern is safety. There is the issue of keeping 15mph scooters away from cars and pedestrians. Other than that I feel this is definitely a net positive for our city. The only thing that can stop it now is state government intervention.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:03 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Pretty exciting news, the city will soon be transformed by the addition of hundreds of electric scooters on our streets. City council has approved the implementation of a scooter share program, which will be operated by Zagster. Rochester will be the first city in New York State to have such a program.

https://13wham.com/news/local/electr...hester-streets

I think this is wonderful. Electric scooters are prevalent in other cities across the country and have done quite well. Companies such as Lime, Bird, Scoot, Uber and Lyft have changed the way people get around over the past few years. I don't think locals realize how big of an impact a scooter share program could have. These programs are a fairly cheap and easy option for cities who lack a comprehensive mass transit system. This could very well be the best answer to addressing our pubic transportation issue.

Our bus system is slow, infrequent and less than ideal unless you're commuting to and from downtown. Now residents and visitors will be able to get around far easier. The Pace bikes which already exist here are a decent option, but I believe the electric scooters will do far more to improve accessibility between our neighborhoods and help to spread vibrancy across the city. Electric scooters are quick, affordable (most run around 15¢ per minute) and they're fun! All you have to do is scan a QR code, hop on and cruise to your destination. Unlike bikes, which must be returned to a dedicated rack, you're able to drop your scooter off at any location so long as it isn't blocking the sidewalk, plus there will be roughly triple the amount of scooters compared to bikes, and these companies usually offer a program where individuals can charge the equipment and get paid for it. I'm delighted to see they're coming here.

The only genuine concern is safety. There is the issue of keeping 15mph scooters away from cars and pedestrians. Other than that I feel this is definitely a net positive for our city. The only thing that can stop it now is state government intervention.

What do you guys think?
You are leaving out the human factor. People ride like idiots on them. They will be done using them and just leave it where it is when it stops or they get where they want. They block handicap ramps.

Many serious injuries to riders here too.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
This is a great idea in theory and I would love for this to work but honestly I think it will be a train wreck. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:18 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Sounds pretty cool. I hope it works. Do you need a drivers license? Do they drive in the road, or bike lane?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Hopefully it doesn’t turn into the Bird scooter problem in Los Angeles. Rider injuries, pedestrian injuries, and the scooters themselves become litter when riders are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area