Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 AM

37 posts, read 129,520 times

Advertisements

Put on a coat if you're cold....Jeesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Or by all means...move to Florida! A lot of old people there..and they also love to whine!

and btw...here is it is noon and it is a BONECHILLING 70 degrees outside..burrrrrr. I better to bundle up. And it's so depressing out too with that dreary BLUE sky. WHEN WILL THIS HARSH WINTER WEATHER END?!?!?!!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM

525 posts, read 1,826,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
You also forget the temp could be like it is currently right now 42 degrees at 6:34 this morning but it actually feels like 37 degrees.
And I wore a short sleeve shirt and no coat this morning. Someone in Florida would probably wear a winter jacket. What is the point of all this? We are speaking in relative terms. Just like 1 foot of snowfall in Rochester is equivalent to 1 inch of snowfall in Washington, D.C. in terms of the chaos it causes because of the people and the way the location deals with it (good snow removal). So again, spinning statistics with the goal of inferring something they are not...or as some call it, being a troll.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:29 PM

75 posts, read 340,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
It is exactly as it states. 44% of the year has a temp. of 39 degree. Your the one spinning the temp. It is not every night that it is 39 degrees and 65 during the day. But lets look at that. If you suggest the night, What do you mean? Because until June we only get 10 to 11 hrs of light. If you look back at the last 5 weeks you could see that some days it got to a high 50 but majority of the day it was colder than 40 degrees. I understand this time of year is colder than summer but the last 4 week is spring. But For example if the high is around 3-5pm that is 2 hrs for the high temp. So If from 1am to around 9am and from 9pm to 11:59 it is around a temp of 40 or less. That would mean Half or possible half the day it was lower than the high and it is possible that the actual longest temp was 40 or below. An example is April 2008 High was 57 and the low was 24. From 1am to 10:30am it was 40 degrees or less. The actual High was from 3:30 to 4:30 and actual low was from 5:30am to 7am. From 1pm to 9pm it was 50 degrees or higher. So again my point is that the cold temp is longer than the warm. That is why the mean temp for that day was 41 degrees.

You also forget the temp could be like it is currently right now 42 degrees at 6:34 this morning but it actually feels like 37 degrees.
But that also means that 56% of the year is above 39 degrees! GO ROCHESTER!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 38,395 times
Definately live in Rochester. Brooklyn is way to expensive and you would have to take a cab everywhere. Traffic is crazy. If you and your family are too crammed in your place now, then you would have to pay out the butt for a place in NYC. Here, you can afford a HUGE place, and you can actually drive your own vehicle wherever and whenever you want to.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Winter... is cold in Rochester- no question about it... but it isn't like NYC is a warm 50 all winter either. I think the fight over temp can be put to rest... can we move on?

I have lived in several of Rochester's suburbs and have never been unhappy with anything in Monroe County (I would stick to Monroe County or WEST Wayne County- Walworth and go to Penfield Schools)... I prefer the East Side... Pittsford, Penfield, Perinton/Fairport... and when I was a newlywed- Brighton.... but I didn't care for Brighton for kids... yes I know the schools are raved about- but so are Faiport, Pittsford and Penfield... Brighton has a ton of traffic- I found it a pain to drive during rush hour and to walk around you are on busy roads... not my cup of tea- more city than suburb... Currently we live in the Penfield School District and are THRILLED with all they have to offer and the Recreation Dept. There are numerous parks and hiking trails in this area and the Canal is a great way to bike/run. As stated previously, Rochester has many cultural offerings (obviously, nothing on NYC scale- but enough) that I would suggest you take advantage of when you get here as well as many fabulous dining establishments. We are a short drive to many other great locations and day trips- highly suggest the wine trails of the Finger Lakes... We do have very high taxes, I live in a 2000sqft home and pay $7k/yr on my property taxes. Remember that when looking for a home... Your heating bills can be quite high- one month this winter we were looking at $330... but our summer bills are almost always under $100- but we have switched all of our bulbs over and if it is sunny the lights are not on. If you live in Fairport they have Fpt Electric and a lot of the homes that are for sale have heat pumps there and your bills would be extremely low...if you do get a home there without one it would be to your advantage to get one... I honestly think Fairport is the best place to live in Rochester- great schools, fabulous for sport and academics, recreation center is AMAZING- the best in Rochester- with classes a plenty, indoor water park, a gym you can belong to...even a daycare, TONS of parks and hiking paths, cute village and many festivals and activities for families... a great library, they also have lower taxes... My parents have a 2300sqft home that has been completely renovated and they pay $5K a year. Take a look at Nothnagle.com - Rochester's Full Service REALTOR® if you want to compare housing prices. But, despite the negative aspect of cold (and that could be a total perk if you like to ski/sled/hockey...) and higher taxes (which will be no problem compared to NYC housing prices) if you have a secure job you will really enjoy it here.

Last edited by skbs; 04-29-2008 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,376,854 times
Well said, SKBS! I moved to the Rochester area from the south over 20 years ago & have lived and worked in Fairport since then. It is wonderful here!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:09 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,263,873 times
Your choice depends on what you're looking for.

In brooklyn you are going to be paying and living in a space more or less what you have now. However it won't be small townish it would be more like living in a section of London with lots of cement. Most of your income will go towards rent and you will have less available to do things. Though there are interesting places in Brooklyn they are much more sparce and further afield than those in Manhattan which means you will have to get on the subway (for an undertermined amount of time depending on where you live) to get to them. Museums are cheap but most clubs and nicer restaurants are not and you will have less money to go to them. Plus most of them are in Manhattan. If you have children you're looking at the cost of private schools which can be close to that of a college from kindergarten on. There may be more jobs and more interesting ones but the commute can be a grinding one and you will be on a budget even at that salary. The weather is only about 10 degrees different than in Rochester.

Rochester will afford you a beautiful home where you can take your own car either to the city or to the many places of natural beauty in the area. This would not be much of an option in Brooklyn. You could live a balanced life here as opposed to having to deal with the hassles of living in Brooklyn. For instance you could be home from work in a matter of minutes as opposed to dealing with rush hour and noisy trains. I like the possibility of living close to Toronto and if your husband is British he may prefer it to NYC too. You're not going to find the masses of immigrants from around the world in Rochester that can make a place interesting but there are still interesting and educated people to meet and a variety of things to do. The airport is easy to get to (which can't be said in NYC) with inexpensive flights. Plus you can have a lawn and backyard.

Depends on what you want for now and the future.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,555 times
Default Rochester Vs Brooklyn

Hi,
I was born and pretty much raised in bklyn. I moved to queens when I was 15 yrs old. Anywho, in my opinion since only being in Greece, NY for only a few months I can honestly say Brooklyn definitely has the diversity, arts,night life, convience, and great take out food. The place that I would recommend on living is in Bay Ridge. It is very nice, near the water, has great restaurants, and very upscale and is a pretty much safe neighborhood. There are alot of Russians and Italians there too. Another place that is becoming a booming neighborhood is in the Williamsburg section of bklyn. The rent in those areas are very high. Parts of brooklyn I would stay away from is East New York, Bushwick, Flatbush, Far Rockaways. Have you thought much into queens? I love queens, and I would recommend Glendale, Middle Village, College Point, Bayside, and Flushing. But, if your traveling by train from college point,Bayside, and flushing, the 7 line is horrible. Overall, you will be paying lots of rent regardless where you live in the city. My husband was making 80k and we were still trying to make ends meet, thats one of the reasons we moved to Greece, same pay and great living for our kids. I guess if your single I would definitely consider on living in NYC, but when you have children your whole perspective probably will change. Good Luck!

mommywifey03

Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,831 times
I just got back from NYC. Brooklyn is wonderful in so many ways. I'm thinking now I might return to NYC. I don't think having kids makes the choice different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area