U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 11:03 AM

4,328 posts, read 5,253,782 times

Advertisements

After researching and learning such great things about Rochester I want to come see the city for myself. I have Christmas week off and I want to drive up and spend a few days in the area. I was wondering if anyone can add some places of interest or events that I shouldn't miss? Or great places to eat? A recommended hotel or bed & breakfast as well?

I would like to spend some time in the city, and the SE suburbs.
I also want to look at some homes. Of particular interest to me so far is the town of Pittsford,along with the other P-villes, the Park Avenue area, and some waterfront homes on Lake Ontario. (I guess that would Greece, Webster?)
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
I'm actually not sure if people still do it, but my family and I used to ice-skate on the resevior at Cobbs Hill Park on Christmas eve if it was frozen (which it doesn't look like will be happening this year). It's forcast to be a green christmas up there this year, in the 50's today actually.... so there won't be any snow for just strolling down streets and enjoying the scenery though. Most of the time we just did stuff at home for Christmas when we lived in Rochester.....growing up and as an adult.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 423,869 times
There are some cool shops along Park Ave. I don't know what your age range is but there are some nice bars in the East End. The Old Toad is a British Pub that imports its employees from England. You could stop in there for a pint. I like cobbs hill. You can go to the top and catch a great view of the skyline.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:55 PM

254 posts, read 962,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
After researching and learning such great things about Rochester I want to come see the city for myself. I have Christmas week off and I want to drive up and spend a few days in the area. I was wondering if anyone can add some places of interest or events that I shouldn't miss? Or great places to eat? A recommended hotel or bed & breakfast as well?

I also want to look at some homes. Of particular interest to me so far is the town of Pittsford,along with the other P-villes, the Park Avenue area, and some waterfront homes on Lake Ontario. (I guess that would Greece, Webster?)
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

we'll be there too that week One of our favorite restarurants is 2vine (they have a website) and Hogan's Hideaway on Park Avenue. Walking around Park ave is fun..make sure to stop in the Parkleigh. Jines for breakfast is awesome (also on Park ave) Pittsford village is cute to walk around, about
.25 mile down the road is the pittsford dairy..awesome milk and milk products! you have to go to Wegmans in Pittsford..I know it sounds strange for me to send you to a grocery store but trust me Also they have movies playing at the george eastman house which I love going to (we are going to see it's a wonderful life there on christmas eve) The hockey team is playing at home during that week as well. Right by the eastman house is the art gallery and the planetarium (the planetarium has some good shows to see as well) Oh if you go to Irondequot when you go to Webster Dons at the lake has the best cheeseburgers! Aladdin's is great for mediterranean..they have a location in Pittsford (shoen place) and on Monroe Ave (by Park ave) I'm not sure if Geva has any plays going on that week but we love going there as well. You have to eat at Dinosaur BBQ!!! (all restraurants I mentioned have websites)

there used to be a bed and breakfast on Dartmouth street in the park ave area..not sure if it is still there or not. THere is a holiday inn in Pittsford near the wegmans that is always full so it must be pretty good.

here is a website that may help you.

http://www.myrochester.com/

i'll post later if I think of more

Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 PM

944 posts, read 3,532,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
places of interest or events that I shouldn't miss? Or great places to eat? A recommended hotel or bed & breakfast as well?

Oh man, I could go nuts with this. I'll give you a few "musts."

FOOD
- What kind of food do you like?

TO DO
- Visit the George Eastman house on East Ave., especially if you appreciate photography and/or eccentric millionaire setups.
- Drive up/down East Ave. at night (between downtown and Brighton). Incredibly gorgeous homes...
- Check out Village of Pittsford and Canal area.

STAY
- Woodcliff in Fairport (overlooks Pittsford / downtown in distance)
- Del Monte in Pittsford
- Help me out, what's the historic joint right off East by Milestones?

I should add that I will be in Rochester for Christmas for a few days and I can't wait. Everyone I grew up with bashed it (like all good teenagers), now we talk about how we wish there were jobs so we could move back!

Last edited by Muggy; 12-20-2006 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
we'll be there too that week . you have to go to Wegmans in Pittsford..I know it sounds strange for me to send you to a grocery store but trust me Also they have movies playing at the george eastman house which I love going to (we are going to see it's a wonderful life there on christmas eve) The hockey team is playing at home during that week as well. Right by the eastman house is the art gallery and the planetarium (the planetarium has some good shows to see as well) Oh if you go to Irondequot when you go to Webster Dons at the lake has the best cheeseburgers! Aladdin's is great for mediterranean..they have a location in Pittsford (shoen place) and on Monroe Ave (by Park ave) I'm not sure if Geva has any plays going on that week but we love going there as well. You have to eat at Dinosaur BBQ!!! (all restraurants I mentioned have websites)

there used to be a bed and breakfast on Dartmouth street in the park ave area..not sure if it is still there or not. THere is a holiday inn in Pittsford near the wegmans that is always full so it must be pretty good.

here is a website that may help you.

http://www.myrochester.com/

i'll post later if I think of more
Believe it or not Wegmans is on my list. I have to see what everyone is raving about...lol

Thanks for your swell ideas.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Oh man, I could go nuts with this. I'll give you a few "musts."

FOOD
- What kind of food do you like? Anything but the Garbage Plate, That looked pretty foul.
TO DO
- Visit the George Eastman house on East Ave., especially if you appreciate photography and/or eccentric millionaire setups. Love Photography, will do!-
Drive up/down East Ave. at night (between downtown and Brighton). Incredibly gorgeous homes... Ok , Sounds good!-
Check out Village of Pittsford and Canal area.

STAY
- Woodcliff in Fairport (overlooks Pittsford / downtown in distance)
- Del Monte in Pittsford Are these bed & breakfasts, or hotels?-
Help me out, what's the historic joint right off East by Milestones?

I should add that I will be in Rochester for Christmas for a few days and I can't wait. Everyone I grew up with bashed it (like all good teenagers), now we talk about how we wish there were jobs so we could move back!
I applied to a bunch of schools (education field here) hoping to land something.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax View Post
There are some cool shops along Park Ave. I don't know what your age range is 40's here but there are some nice bars in the East End. Now your speaking my language lol. The Old Toad is a British Pub that imports its employees from England. You could stop in there for a pint. I like cobbs hill. You can go to the top and catch a great view of the skyline.
Yes, I want to see Cobb's Hill, heard great things. Thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm actually not sure if people still do it, but my family and I used to ice-skate on the resevior at Cobbs Hill Park on Christmas eve if it was frozen (which it doesn't look like will be happening this year). It's forcast to be a green christmas up there this year, in the 50's today actually.... so there won't be any snow for just strolling down streets and enjoying the scenery though. Most of the time we just did stuff at home for Christmas when we lived in Rochester.....growing up and as an adult.

I printed out that list where you gave descriptions of neighborhoods, I am using that as a guide line to look around. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 423,869 times
check out this page. Its loaded with restaurants and things to do in the area.
http://www.rocwiki.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area