Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 03:27 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Rochester and Syracuse are in a perennial bust. Where is the upside? You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with something here.

Also, I'm not saying you need to buy a $250k house. Plenty of cheaper homes are out there too. For example, this is all the house I'd ever need:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7_M52236-58728

$800 a month with taxes, same as the taxes alone on some homes up there.
You can do the same thing up here in terms of a home.

Now, all of a sudden it is about areas up here being in a perennial bust once a home with a bigger yard and home is found that has monthly costs that are about $150-200 less than a home YOU presented from the Raleigh area. Why even bother with those forums, if that is the case? This is becoming silly and a joke.

35 Bucky Dr, Chili, NY 14624 (it has the monthly payment listed)

While older, it is in fine condition, has more room and land, along with a park nearby. Say what you want about it, as the home you posted could be critiqued as well, but it still looks like it is less monthly, if that other home is at $800 monthly. Max STAR is $712 for Chili/Churchville-Chili SD: School District's Maximum 2014-2015 STAR Savings by Municipality

So, it may be even less, all things being equal/similar in terms of 20% down, taxes included, etc.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-30-2014 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
The taxes on the Wake Forest home are still ~200 bucks less a month in taxes than either the Chili or Rochester homes. I'm actually quite surprised to see the Roc home @ 4200 bucks a year in taxes, that's kind of up there for the city, where taxes are usually closer to the 2-3k range. Also, a quick search of other homes on Atkinson reveal a lot of multifamily units, and bringing up 2 random homes on the county website greeted me with a "Your Delinquent Taxes have been sold." banner on the tax page, leading me to believe this isn't the best neighborhood anyways. Also, the school report for the Wake Forest homes was quite a bit more favorable than the Atkinson home, which IMHO is a strong indicator of the quality of the neighborhood. So sorry, but Atkinson may not have been the best home to use as an example.

EDIT: 112 Atkinson is actually showing the last tax payment for this property as being 1302.59, so I wonder if Nothnagle is off on their tax report.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
The taxes on the Wake Forest home are still ~200 bucks less a month in taxes than either the Chili or Rochester homes. I'm actually quite surprised to see the Roc home @ 4200 bucks a year in taxes, that's kind of up there for the city, where taxes are usually closer to the 2-3k range. Also, a quick search of other homes on Atkinson reveal a lot of multifamily units, and bringing up 2 random homes on the county website greeted me with a "Your Delinquent Taxes have been sold." banner on the tax page, leading me to believe this isn't the best neighborhood anyways. Also, the school report for the Wake Forest homes was quite a bit more favorable than the Atkinson home, which IMHO is a strong indicator of the quality of the neighborhood. So sorry, but Atkinson may not have been the best home to use as an example.

EDIT: 112 Atkinson is actually showing the last tax payment for this property as being 1302.59, so I wonder if Nothnagle is off on their tax report.
That Atkinson home may be the result of the previous resident's property tax exemptions. That is why I say that what you see posted for taxes may not be what a person pays. This is on top of the Chili and Greece homes having a lower price tag and more house/land.

Also, for the second Wake Forest home, realtor.com shows a 1.06% tax rate and a Raleigh area site showed a 1.1% rate.

Has it snowed at all that way in recent days?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-30-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Lol...you obviously knew nothing about this neighborhood and are grasping at straws . Let me educate you. it's the corn hill neighborhood which is the oldest and one of the most historic in Rochester. There are many historic and grand homes. There is nothing wrong with it. I know somebody who owns a house there and loves it. It's also a few blocks away from corn hill landing which is a vibrant little retail and restaurant community on the river.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
My post was meant for overtaxed too :-)

Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Meh, never mind, not even worth it.

Last edited by OverTaxedInNY; 12-30-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
So fun to watch the bantering back and forth from NC folks (where I am living now) vs. my home town.

Corn Hill is in the City school district though isn't it? You'd want to pay for private school if you lived there. As far as NY schools being superior to the South, I thought that as well and was very concerned about it before we moved here. Turns out my straight A student in NY was behind in math skills compared to her previous schooling. It took months to catch her up.

It really seems like you all are comparing apples to oranges as far as houses and their given locations. All I can say is that my house down here is bigger and with a bigger yard than I had in NY with MUCH cheaper property taxes. I am paying $1,300 a year. For car tax, $143 and that's only because I bought a new car this year.

To answer the real question that was posted: I can only speak from my own experience but I thought winters were horrible back home. Granted some years are better than others.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Corn Hill is often and erroneously thought of as some magical safe haven gem within the city limits. No idea why that is, but the cheerleaders of Rochester have given it that reputation. Whatever, they can have their "vibrance" and "diversity" if it somehow makes them so special.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
So fun to watch the bantering back and forth from NC folks (where I am living now) vs. my home town.

Corn Hill is in the City school district though isn't it? You'd want to pay for private school if you lived there. As far as NY schools being superior to the South, I thought that as well and was very concerned about it before we moved here. Turns out my straight A student in NY was behind in math skills compared to her previous schooling. It took months to catch her up.

It really seems like you all are comparing apples to oranges as far as houses and their given locations. All I can say is that my house down here is bigger and with a bigger yard than I had in NY with MUCH cheaper property taxes. I am paying $1,300 a year. For car tax, $143 and that's only because I bought a new car this year.

To answer the real question that was posted: I can only speak from my own experience but I thought winters were horrible back home. Granted some years are better than others.
This isn't at all surprising to me, and its what I've been talking about on here for the last few pages. For some reason (I believe it is for no other reasons than to keep warm bodies in the state paying taxes), several NYer's here refuse to give relocators accurate information regarding housing costs and taxes. Its sad.

One guy is on here is trying to sell the idea that car taxes cost as much as property taxes, a difference of about $54,000 over 10 years. SMH...

All I've been trying to do is keep it real and keep it honest. The same people will tout NY schools like this is 1980 and Boss Hogg is running the local Southern one-room schoolhouse. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:45 PM

^Incorrect, but if you say so. NC also varies and the area wasn't mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area