Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I guess I'm kind of lost here. Why are you comparing a $400k southern home with a $200k Rochester home?
To more clearly illustrate what higher home prices with lower taxes (the South) vs lower home prices with higher taxes (Rochester) looks like. Something that is often times discussed ambiguously, which was hit on a few pages back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Take a look at the lists and come back with what you find out.

Bump it, here are the numbers for Rochester: $566 without a mortgage and $1357 with a mortgage. For your promised land metro, Raleigh-Cary: $436 without a mortgage and $1514 with a mortgage. So, the without a mortgage gap is $130 less in Raleigh-Cary, but the with a mortgage gap is $157 less in Rochester. Meaning, the mortgage stage has a greater gap, with Rochester being lower, than the post mortgage gap which is lower in Raleigh-Cary. Again, this is US Census information for the time period and for the respective metro/micro areas.

Another area that comes up and is familiar with a couple of posters on here, Richmond VA, it is $443 without a mortgage and $1604 with a mortgage.

I have a sibling in this area, Virginia Beach-Norfolk, where the without mortgage median cost is $508 and with a mortgage it is $1735.

Another area that comes up, Charleston-North Charleston, it is $427 without a mortgage and $1502 with a mortgage.

For Orlando, it is $467 without a mortgage and $1629 with a mortgage. Tampa is $457 without a mortgage and $1529 with a mortgage.

Dallas-Fort Worth, it is $551 without a mortgage and $1607 with a mortgage. Houston it is $533 without a mortgage and $1592 with a mortgage.

Atlanta it is $445 without a mortgage and $1592 with a mortgage.

A couple of Southern areas that are more favorable in this regard are: Nashville where it is $405 without a mortgage and $1396 with a mortgage. Charlotte is $394 without a mortgage and $1420 with a mortgage.

Some others: New Orleans is $406 without a mortgage and $1470 with a mortgage. North Port-Bradenton-Saratota is $524 without a mortgage and $1606 with a mortgage. Port Saint Lucie(metro Fort Pierce is in) it is $502 without a mortgage and $1567 with a mortgage. Jacksonville is $443 without a mortgage and $1518 with a mortgage.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
To more clearly illustrate what higher home prices with lower taxes (the South) vs lower home prices with higher taxes (Rochester) looks like. Something that is often times discussed ambiguously, which was hit on a few pages back.
Considering the fact that you don't need to spend $400k in the south to get a home similar to a $200k example in Rochester, that is one of the most irrelevant and useless arguments ever. Who the hell brought that one up?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Considering the fact that you don't need to spend $400k in the south to get a home similar to a $200k example in Rochester, that is one of the most irrelevant and useless arguments ever. Who the hell brought that one up?
Prices vary everywhere, so no, there is no 2-to-1 ratio on house prices with Rochester...everywhere. However, prices do trend higher in many places in the south. And I personally experienced nearly double housing prices in Richmond VA for comparable areas.

I've seen this argument in many threads in this forum, as well as my own family and friends when talking housing prices and taxes. JME.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:40 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
^This, exactly.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Prices vary everywhere, so no, there is no 2-to-1 ratio on house prices with Rochester...everywhere. However, prices do trend higher in many places in the south. And I personally experienced nearly double housing prices in Richmond VA for comparable areas.

I've seen this argument in many threads in this forum, as well as my own family and friends when talking housing prices and taxes. JME.
Just look at the information in my post above. I'll bring more information out.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's good information. And I think that there's sway both ways, especially toward prices being higher than what's stated. For example:

Rochester NY: $1,357

Richmond VA: $1,604

I think this is off from personal experience. Finding areas that are comparable are subjective and IMO are over simplified by these types of numbers. I lived in Bellevue in Richmond city for six years. Richmond has larger city limits, so an area like Brighton would be similar in distance from downtown as Bellevue which is a city neighborhood. Here are a few houses in Brighton:

200 Saint Regis Dr S, Rochester, NY 14618 is For Sale - Zillow

^^^This would cost around $300k in Richmond. Here's a comparable:

1509 Avondale Ave, Richmond, VA 23227 is For Sale - Zillow

Different type of house, but similar $/sqft.

77 Eastland Ave, Rochester, NY 14618 is For Sale - Zillow

^^^This house is a bit pricier, but has a lot of sqft-age. The below home looks like a nicer place, but is closer to a tough area (Chamberlayne). The $/sqft is still quite a bit higher:

1104 Seminary Pl, Richmond, VA 23227 is For Sale - Zillow

This is just Richmond, so very very narrow perspective. My point being that it's very hard to have a tangible discussion around COL with Rochester vs. "the south". Your list does a nice job of showing where median home prices fall, but I think it's more dramatic of a picture depending on so many factors.

Thanks for sharing CK.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
I've already demonstrated in my examples when comparing location to location and home quality to home quality, the cost of a home is less in Rochester. The lesser priced homes in the south are cookie cutter cheaply built homes. Which you can still buy the same homes for even less in comparably desirable (or less desirable) locations in Rochester.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly ckhthankgod.

Quote:
That's good information. And I think that there's sway both ways, especially toward prices being higher than what's stated. For example:

I think this is off from personal experience. Finding areas that are comparable are subjective and IMO are over simplified by these types of numbers. I lived in Bellevue in Richmond city for six years. Richmond has larger city limits, so an area like Brighton would be similar in distance from downtown as Bellevue which is a city neighborhood. Here are a few houses in Brighton:

^^^This house is a bit pricier, but has a lot of sqft-age. The below home looks like a nicer place, but is closer to a tough area (Chamberlayne). The $/sqft is still quite a bit higher:

This is just Richmond, so very very narrow perspective. My point being that it's very hard to have a tangible discussion around COL with Rochester vs. "the south". Your list does a nice job of showing where median home prices fall, but I think it's more dramatic of a picture depending on so many factors.

Thanks for sharing CK.
These are good examples AJ. It's in the details. You can always find a compareable price in anything, but it's the details of when something is actually compareable. So in the case of Northern vs. Southern homes you need to look at more than just price such as your examples.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing CK.
Yes, I totally agree. The numbers only serve as a barometer and it helps to bring out similar examples to compare. I try to look at things like home size, similar type of area in the metro, like your examples did. Things also depend pay/income, location, personal aspects like choice, credit, what a person qualifies for and preferences, among other things.

Just so people know, you can view numbers down to the census tract level, like this one in Henrietta: Census Tract 013104 in Monroe County, New York Housing

Or this census block group within a census tract in Chili: Census Block Group 014504-3 in Monroe County, New York Housing

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area