Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times

Advertisements

After living my teenage/adult life in the Rochester area I recently moved south. As stated in other weather-related posts and in this one it's not the cold and snow as much as the never-ending gray depression-inducing skies most of the winter. It's just downright gloomy without many consecutive days of sunshine. Obviously it gets cold and snowy, too. But it's the lack of sun that was my biggest gripe. Though I certainly don't miss winter in general - bundling like an Eskimo to snow-blow the driveway or wondering if ice dams will leak into my house.

As an aside one poster mentioned driving on the icy and snowy roads. I always invested $500 in some Blizzaks or Artic Ice snow tires mounted on separate steel wheels and hubcaps for the winter. Turned every car into a near-tank in the winter. Worth every penny IMO and less than the typical auto deductible if you can't brake well enough and smash into someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
I was born in Rochester and lived for a bit in Oklahoma. Moving back here was a bit of a shock to the systems- in terms of getting used to the bitter cold. I found it bone chilling for the first winter back. I couldn't shake it. you have to remember, when talking to your husband, it can get down below ZERO here at times and the wind chill is quite painful on top of that. It is not everyday this will happen, but it WILL happen a couple of times each winter. Don't think it is going to be a balmy 30 and sunny... the sun isn't shining in the winter- that is when we are the darkest. I am only telling you the negative side because your husband might not be too keen on the Dec-March climate change. In all, you basically stay inside where it is warm- unless you are into skiing, skating, hockey, sledding... there are many outdoor sports in the winter- my husband is a big fan. I like curling up with a blanket and a book or movie... But, once Spring hits (usually late April) and the sun shines... you tend to forget the cold and spring outdoors. You will swap your heat for cold- think of it as a switch of seasons for you- it will be your summer. I love Rochester and put up with the temps because the rest of the year is bliss.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM

75 posts, read 340,609 times
And certainly no one can complain about the weather we've been having lately--most of April has been downright summerlike.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Ain't that the truth.....it's 75 and sunny out right now. About as perfect as weather can be. That's been the norm for the past week or so now too. This has definitley been a very spring-like April, and one of if not the "least winterish" Aprils I can remember.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM

10 posts, read 73,256 times
I hadn't thought of the gloom factor- that's probably what gets to people more than the actual cold. But i think rgpg is right- if you consider FLA summers to be equivalent to Rochester winters, then factor in the days of rain and few days of cold in north florida where I am- you have extreme weather here for about 8 mos of the year! Rochester has more like six months of cold, then it's nice for about six months right? Though I also wonder about what a pain it will be to bundle up three kids every time I leave the house- in florida you just go!

so I guess we still have some thinking to do- next issue? Jobs. I'm a nurse so I won't have a problem, but husband is in construction mgmt and Rochester isnt' exactly a boom town right now. Still, the city is affordable so we may even be able to pull it off on one income....

thanks for the replies btw

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
I agree that the gloom is the worst of it! On the flip side, and kind of off-topic, is that the Great Lakes keep the weather very stable. Tornadoes are almost unheard of around here, no hurricanes, severe thunderstorms are rare, flooding is almost unheard of in all but a few areas. The worst has been an ice storm in '91 that took out a lot of infrastructure (power lines, trees, signs, poles, etc.), but that was a once in a lifetime event. We do not have earthquakes either, although that obviously has nothing to do with the lakes.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Not to mention that the lake has the posstive moderating effect durring summer. Keeps it very comfortable here with nice breeze...also keeps it sunnier here than most of the rest of the east coast durring summer if you can believe that. (We get more sun than NY, Washington, Atlanta, and Miami in June-August I believe is what I read).

Old 04-23-2008, 11:16 AM

75 posts, read 340,609 times
Believe it or not--I just checked weather.com, and they're predicting snow showers and a high of 47 on April 29.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Just like the snow showers we got the last two times they predicted snow?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Just like the snow showers we got the last two times they predicted snow?
I know! I just got back from Myrtle Beach and Rochester's weather was better than S.C.! There was supposed to be a snow storm the Sunday after we left for M.B.... never happend. I am betting we are done with the flakes... at least I hope so (already did some planting)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area