U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,324,419 times

Advertisements

That is too bad about Towne Club, that was great being able to pick what you wanted. I seem to remember another store like that on Ridge Road I think, it was a drive through booze place with a driveway right through the middle of the store- I think that you could get pop there too.
-----
There's still one on Ridge at the corner of Bernice St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM

355 posts, read 760,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greecemallhistory View Post
I actually have what's left of the Rube Goldberg type sculpture from Long Ridge Mall. Having it restored has been a royal pain though. Unfortunately, several storefronts at Northgate Plaza sat vacant for many years and some of them deteriorated rapidly. The old JCPenney store was demolished recently. Only the facade remains intact for now. I went inside of McCurdy's and Woolworth recently. Both of those stores have been empty for over 16 years! They will be demolished soon.
I heard Wal-mart is coming to Northgate Plaza. Just what Greece needs, more low paying retail jobs. Funny how progress is viewed as a department store selling goods made in China.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM

118 posts, read 580,684 times
Quote:
I actually have what's left of the Rube Goldberg type sculpture from Long Ridge Mall. Having it restored has been a royal pain though. Unfortunately, several storefronts at Northgate Plaza sat vacant for many years and some of them deteriorated rapidly. The old JCPenney store was demolished recently. Only the facade remains intact for now. I went inside of McCurdy's and Woolworth recently. Both of those stores have been empty for over 16 years! They will be demolished soon.
That is the sculpture that was near Sears with the balls that went around all the metal 'rails' correct? I also remember the big yellow/orange colored ball thing, did that have water running through it? How about the kids play area with the sponge foam things to climb on...and who could forget that 'sunken' seating area and the two way reflecting mirror door thing and the footprints that you stood on. Wow, I can't believe the memories that just flooded back!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 36,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
I heard Wal-mart is coming to Northgate Plaza. Just what Greece needs, more low paying retail jobs. Funny how progress is viewed as a department store selling goods made in China.
Walmart is coming to Northgate Plaza sometime in 2011. You know the Walgreens that was supposed to replace what used to be Buckman's? It hasn't even opened yet! Buckman's saw demolition crews almost a year ago.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
That is the sculpture that was near Sears with the balls that went around all the metal 'rails' correct? I also remember the big yellow/orange colored ball thing, did that have water running through it? How about the kids play area with the sponge foam things to climb on...and who could forget that 'sunken' seating area and the two way reflecting mirror door thing and the footprints that you stood on. Wow, I can't believe the memories that just flooded back!
Yes, that's correct. I believe the orange colored ball fountain did have water running through it. My memories of Long Ridge Mall are fuzzy. In my dreams, I can see the Electric Ball Circus (Rube Goldberg sculpture) working. If you haven't visited my website, I have photos of Long Ridge on there.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That is too bad about Towne Club, that was great being able to pick what you wanted. I seem to remember another store like that on Ridge Road I think, it was a drive through booze place with a driveway right through the middle of the store- I think that you could get pop there too.
-----
There's still one on Ridge at the corner of Bernice St.
I go to the one on West Ridge Rd. They carry a wide variety of Genny beers.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM

200 posts, read 529,632 times
Quote:
Yes, that's correct. I believe the orange colored ball fountain did have water running through it. My memories of Long Ridge Mall are fuzzy. In my dreams, I can see the Electric Ball Circus (Rube Goldberg sculpture) working. If you haven't visited my website, I have photos of Long Ridge on there.
What's your websites URL? I'd like to check it out, and I'm sure others would too.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,562 times
Quote:
Walmart is coming to Northgate Plaza sometime in 2011. You know the Walgreens that was supposed to replace what used to be Buckman's? It hasn't even opened yet! Buckman's saw demolition crews almost a year ago.
That sucks the business and building are gone, but that's "progress". That real estate has to be worth a lot of money. A friend's family owned all of the land from just west of there, on that side of Ridge, all the way to North Ave. years ago, and sold the parcels for millions. They may have owned land around where Wal Mart is, too, but I'm not sure. They owned the land the malls were built on, too, back when the orchard that was there failed in the 50's.

The funniest part of their involvement is the grandfather who bought all that land was told "nobody will ever want to live in Greece", back in the 50's.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM

355 posts, read 760,329 times
Quote:
You know the Walgreens that was supposed to replace what used to be Buckman's? It hasn't even opened yet! Buckman's saw demolition crews almost a year ago.
Part of that is because Walgreens refused to use local contractors to build the store, which stymied the construction process. Remember that the next time you decide to give your business to Walgreens. As for Buckman's I distinctly remember being told, right before they sold out to Walgreens, that they were going to move a bit further down Ridge Rd to the Chuck-E-Cheese Plaza, then it was supposed to be the Wal-mart Plaza. But that never happened. They had the best donuts ever though! I remember getting ice cream from them too and they even sold "The Kitchen Sink."

I feel bad for the kids growing up in the post-Buckman's era. They will never know how good those donuts were. Tim Horton's, Dunkin Donuts, Wegman's, or Tops will never be a proper substitute. There's a reason Krispy Kreme didn't last long. It was no Buckman's.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
What's your websites URL? I'd like to check it out, and I'm sure others would too.
Hello Aaron, my website's URL is Home - Home of the Electric Ball Circus from Long Ridge Mall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area