Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 08:07 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,269 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you all received letters in the mail to switch power companies like "CleanChioce Engery Source", they claim to provide clean energy sources to power your home and protect the environment. Just so your aware, there are no Coal fired or even big gas power plants in the Rochester Region. The bulk of RG&E power grid in Rochester is provided by the nuclear power plant in Ontario, a series of small hydroelectric generation stations along the Genesee River, Solar and Wind anyway. There are two small gas powered plants for peak load in the summer, but they are only online when needed and fairly small, 20 Megawatts each i believe. So don't get fooled into paying higher rates to buy "Clean" power it's already pretty clean in this area already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 03:34 PM

6,409 posts, read 3,125,573 times

Old 02-21-2021, 06:06 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,079,959 times
My question, if we are tryin to conserve fossil fuel, does the NYPA prevent low cost hydro power production from Niagara Falls from leaving Erie or Niagara counties? Wasn't that place built with federal dollars? Why are those counties granted the power, and if not cheap, no carbon power sits unclaimed for others to use?

Old 02-22-2021, 06:14 AM

6,409 posts, read 3,125,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
My question, if we are tryin to conserve fossil fuel, does the NYPA prevent low cost hydro power production from Niagara Falls from leaving Erie or Niagara counties? Wasn't that place built with federal dollars? Why are those counties granted the power, and if not cheap, no carbon power sits unclaimed for others to use?
I agree, and will go one further.....with the Genesee River running right down the middle of Rochester, why aren't there one or two more hydro plants there?

Old 02-22-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree, and will go one further.....with the Genesee River running right down the middle of Rochester, why aren't there one or two more hydro plants there?
There is a series of small hydro electric plants all along the river. Take Rochester Lower Falls for example, there a pipe at the top of the falls that diverts water to the building on the East side of the river, there's a turbine generator in that building, Station 5 generates 46 megawatts of power. Station 26, 3 megawatts, and Station 2, 8.5 megawatts. You do not need build a to damn to block the entire river to create a hydro electric station, you just need a drop in height, any place there a waterfall is prefect, just deviate a portion of the water via a pipe before it goes over the falls to a turbine generator and return the water to the river at the base of thee falls. Robert Moses Niagara Power Plant near Niagara Falls generates 2675 megawatts of power, one of the biggest energy producers in the area. In theory all of the water could be diverted, using that water to power the hydroelectric stations, but then there would be no more waterfalls. Not sure how much water is being diverted to station 26, but if they took it all, I think they could easily triple the plants output. Canada has it's own hydroelectric station on it's side of the river, that's around 2 gigawatts, if they took all of the water from the Niagara river, you looking to 8 to 10 gigawatts of power easy.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
There is a series of small hydro electric plants all along the river. Take Rochester Lower Falls for example, there a pipe at the top of the falls that diverts water to the building on the East side of the river, there's a turbine generator in that building, Station 5 generates 46 megawatts of power. Station 26, 3 megawatts, and Station 2, 8.5 megawatts. You do not need build a to damn to block the entire river to create a hydro electric station, you just need a drop in height, any place there a waterfall is prefect, just deviate a portion of the water via a pipe before it goes over the falls to a turbine generator and return the water to the river at the base of thee falls. Robert Moses Niagara Power Plant near Niagara Falls generates 2675 megawatts of power, one of the biggest energy producers in the area. In theory all of the water could be diverted, using that water to power the hydroelectric stations, but then there would be no more waterfalls. Not sure how much water is being diverted to station 26, but if they took it all, I think they could easily triple the plants output. Canada has it's own hydroelectric station on it's side of the river, that's around 2 gigawatts, if they took all of the water from the Niagara river, you looking to 8 to 10 gigawatts of power easy.
Many may not know, but there is a lot of low cost hydro power available from the Niagara Hydro Plant. NYPA. A recent agreement limits any low cost hydro power for only inside Erie and Niagara counties. If you look at the FINGERLAKES REGION sponsored STAMP facility, they must have made any exception as it is close to the county line.

Back to the subject at hand, why does the FEDERALY funded power plant restrict power to only 2 counties?

Old 03-01-2021, 02:05 PM

117 posts, read 76,360 times
Hydro, Nuclear plants somehow operated by a company called exelon are located in Erie and Oswego Counties I believe, mostly owned by National Grid but NYSEG owns a portion of it, the big power lines go from near Buffalo, to near Syracuse and National Grid and NYSEG utilize energy from these power lines. If you really want to talk hydro and nuclear plants think Exelon and the power that National Grid and NYSEG get from them.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
Hydro, Nuclear plants somehow operated by a company called exelon are located in Erie and Oswego Counties I believe, mostly owned by National Grid but NYSEG owns a portion of it, the big power lines go from near Buffalo, to near Syracuse and National Grid and NYSEG utilize energy from these power lines. If you really want to talk hydro and nuclear plants think Exelon and the power that National Grid and NYSEG get from them.
There are no nuclear plants in Erie county, and I'm not aware of any hydro either. Just coal, as far as I know. The only Nuke plant I know of in western NY is the Ginna plant, in the eastern suburbs of Rochester

Old 03-04-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
There are no nuclear plants in Erie county, and I'm not aware of any hydro either. Just coal, as far as I know. The only Nuke plant I know of in western NY is the Ginna plant, in the eastern suburbs of Rochester
This isn't entirely correct. Exelon operates two more Nuclear Power plants in Oswego county, Nine Mile Point and Fitzpatrick. I'm not aware of any hydro eclectic plants owned/operated by Exelon, the Hydro Electric Damns along the Genesee river are owned and operated by RG&E.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
This isn't entirely correct. Exelon operates two more Nuclear Power plants in Oswego county, Nine Mile Point and Fitzpatrick. I'm not aware of any hydro eclectic plants owned/operated by Exelon, the Hydro Electric Damns along the Genesee river are owned and operated by RG&E.
What is not correct about my statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area