U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 10,490 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Rocester soon and will be purchasing a home. With the assistance of my realator, I have narrowed my search to these three areas.

I am 35, caucasion (Italian), single with no children. Obviously, I am not concerned about schools...so I am basing my home choice on the following criteria:

Value
I would like to keep the price under $175k. I will be keeping my Sacramento home as a rental and do not want to get overextened. Which neighborhood is the best home value?

I will be working in Fairport and would like to keep my commute time under 30 minutes. Also, I enjoy going to sporting events, shopping, concerts, and independent films...keeping those activities in mind...which neighborhood is most condusive?

Quality of Life
Alot of this is up to me, but my surroundings will play a role of course. I live in a semi-urban area of Sacramento. Grocers, bank, pharmacy, bar, and a couple of restaurants are within walking distance but the more ecletic stores and the mall require the car. Not a problem for me. My current neighborhood is competely caucasion with a couple of exceptions and I would like some more diversity provided it is a healthy diversity and not a distraction/detourant. Which neighborhood is best?

I want a garage to keep my car in so no apartments or condos and I like to tinker in the yard. Older homes are great as well as mid-century...I like both for different reasons.

One last request....Are there any bocce balls clubs in Rochester?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 PM

96 posts, read 359,853 times
Can't answer the bocce ball question but do have some ideas for you. Neighborhood of the Arts is a really fun area adjacent to the Park Ave scene but with less expensive homes. Very tight, very progressive neighborhood. They have weekly brunches in the summer in their local park which is also very artsy with playful sculptures.
E. Rochester is the town between the city and Fairport-- it is adjacent to Fairport. Its a working class Italian community with a very lively business district with really good restaurants and lots of little shops. Wonderful variety of historic homes at fantastic prices. Easy to get to Fairport and easy to get to the city-- like five to ten minutes for each. You could definitely have your yard and garage AND they may even have a bocce ball alley in East Roch.

Check out homesteadnet.com for an easy way to view homes on line.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,873,862 times
I hadn't even thought of suggesting East Rochester..but come to think of it it does have everything you are looking for. It is a little more "small town" and less "city"...but it has a strong Italian vibe...$175k can get you almost any house you want, and most of the houses are built mid-century or earlier. The only thing it is lacking is the city vibe and culture. That would best be had for you in the Upper Monroe area of the city, where $175k can still get you a decent house that may need just a little work (almost all houses in that area are going to be pre-WWII with plenty of old charecter and charm) but in a great neighborhood close to shopping, restaraunts and enteretainment of Monroe Ave. East Rochester would be closer to your work if you are working in Fairport that's for sure, but the Upper Monroe area of the city would still be a less than 30 minute commute. Obviously the upper monroe avenue neighborhood would be more diverse than the virtually all white East Rochester (but most of the whites in East Roc are Italian).

Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 PM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
You'll definitely want to check out the Italian American Community Center in Gates. It is a little bit of a hike from the east side, but they have indoor and outdoor bocce courts with tournaments and tons of Italian heritage events.

Italian American Community Center - Welcome (broken link)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 AM

351 posts, read 2,163,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
the virtually all white East Rochester (but most of the whites in East Roc are Italian).
Now, when you say "Italian", you mean americans of Italian descent, right? Or are you saying that there is still a migratory wave of real italians in that area who still speak the language and recreate their cultural environment locally (as the Vietnamese in California, Mexicans in Texas, Central and South Americans in sourthern Florida, etc.)?

Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,784 times
Italian-American. Most of the off the boat Italians are in the older generations. Some younger ones but when somebody says Italian they would most likely be referring to Italian-Americans.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM

yes..i mean italian Americans...mostly 2nd or 3rd generation. But they still strongly embrace their Italian roots in culture and especially food! There are still also a sizeable amount of off the boat Italians in their golden years as Garmin had said.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,777,983 times
My Best friend and all of her family are from E.R. and MANY other Italians we are friends with... their PARENTS are from Italy... but there is a huge Italian pop in E.R. I don't know if it offers the vibe you are looking for though- the recreation and entertainment isn't going to be as plentiful there... Fairport is one town over and that has much more Rec stuff... you can get an older home for $175K there... E.R. has really high taxes- just keep that in mind when looking. The Italian American Club in Gates is popular and actually there is a large Italian pop over on that side of town... but it would be 30 minutes from Fairport...in traffic... personally I like the East Side.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 AM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
personally I like the East Side.
I prefer the west side, but I agree you should live on the east side or south if you are working in Fairport...especially with the 490 reconstruction for the next 2 years. However, if you are used to California traffic, it probably pales in comparison. I wouldn't want to live in Gates or Greece anyways, which are the big Italian communities.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM

I'd consider Irondequoit more of an Italian community than Greece. We have our Italians here (i'm 1/2 Italian myself)...but not as much as Irondequoit, which is technically East Side but doesn't really know it. haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area