U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

525 posts, read 1,644,424 times

Advertisements

The schools are pretty good. I'd recommend Spencerport, Hilton, or Churchville over Brockport schools though. Brockport is probably the largest of the villages on the west side, and has a good selection of restaurants (off top of my head: fast food, family diner, Greek, BBQ, Charbroil, Italian, pizza, coffee shop, many bars) and stores (I can think of book, computer, video game, gift shops, Wegmans, Big M, Walmart, Auto parts, bowling alley off the top of my head). It is a bit of a hike from the city and can get congested when school is in session.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,330,660 times
I'm trying to figure out what you are getting at. Other than the police are crooked and are stereotypical, but that is just Rochester in general. This is a two year old thread. Oh, and please, proof-read what you wrote.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Is Brockport still set to dissolve into Sweden? I have not heard anything lately about the situation. I was hoping to see more consolidation.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 PM

56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Is Brockport still set to dissolve into Sweden? I have not heard anything lately about the situation. I was hoping to see more consolidation.
Really? Brockport seems to be too big of a village to dissolve. I can understand it if it happens though.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? Brockport seems to be too big of a village to dissolve. I can understand it if it happens though.
They ran out of money, so the only way to combat the problem would be to raise taxes an astronomical amount. So the proposal is to use the consolidation bill to make the two towns into one.

I'm hoping that this paves the way for more consolidation around Rochester.

Brockport Police Department at heart of village debate | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 AM

24 posts, read 40,394 times
Default West Rochester

Hi
I wanted to pass on info about this area. I live in the Churchville-Chili school district. IMO, this area, as well as Spencerport, have good schools. This is a small town atmosphere. You will find various kinds of home prospects. There are rural homes as well as track housing. There are new housing developments going up too. Neighborhoods provide a choice of small lots to 1 plus acres. There are also a lot of bldg improvements that have been happening, which makes the towns look more updated-refreshed.

I don't know as much about Brockport. I've driven through it many times. It is a college town. A friend of mine did her student teaching in Brockport HS and had a great experience.

Check out the town links and school district websites. Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
They ran out of money, so the only way to combat the problem would be to raise taxes an astronomical amount. So the proposal is to use the consolidation bill to make the two towns into one.

I'm hoping that this paves the way for more consolidation around Rochester.

Brockport Police Department at heart of village debate | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle
I think you are going to see more consolidation of services like law enforcement, public works and fire departments. I think it is still possible to keep the cute, quaint villages, as long as the consolidation comes from somewhere else or consolidate the villages in a way that they still can be viewed as the town/community center in terms of the Main St. concept. In the census, such places would be viewed as census designated places instead of being a village in terms of a government entitity. Fort Covington is an example of a place in upstate NY that did this decades ago.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times
Hi everyone. We actually moved there in October 2008 but moved back to Long Island February 2010. The schools were okay, food pretty good, and not really a college town but a town that happens to have a college in it. Unfortunately it lacked the culture and friendly feel we were looking for. We came back to Long Island because with the drop in home prices, the houses are alot closer to the Rochester suburb prices now. That, and long island is close to NYC, stronger employment wages, better food variety and taste, and more areas that weren't just catholic or protestant. My family is not ultra religious by any means but seeing how much hate and negativity towards jewish people that I saw up there was disgusting. I hope people like the areas but we gave it a fair shot, and unfortunately it didn't suit us well.
Just for anyones information. I lived on Talamora Trail which is directly behind the Super Walmart on 31. Beautiful homes but not in the right environment for us.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Hi everyone. We actually moved there in October 2008 but moved back to Long Island February 2010. The schools were okay, food pretty good, and not really a college town but a town that happens to have a college in it. Unfortunately it lacked the culture and friendly feel we were looking for. We came back to Long Island because with the drop in home prices, the houses are alot closer to the Rochester suburb prices now. That, and long island is close to NYC, stronger employment wages, better food variety and taste, and more areas that weren't just catholic or protestant. My family is not ultra religious by any means but seeing how much hate and negativity towards jewish people that I saw up there was disgusting. I hope people like the areas but we gave it a fair shot, and unfortunately it didn't suit us well.
Just for anyones information. I lived on Talamora Trail which is directly behind the Super Walmart on 31. Beautiful homes but not in the right environment for us.
Really? That's a shame. Maybe Brighton or Henrietta would have probably been a better fit during your time in the Rochester area due to the stronger Jewish presence.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? That's a shame. Maybe Brighton or Henrietta would have probably been a better fit during your time in the Rochester area due to the stronger Jewish presence.
I worked in Henrietta but not much better there. The problem is that the perception of the religion all around the areas was bad except for the 1 or 2 towns. That's no way to live. On the island it's much more diverse with all races, and religions, and much more respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area