U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM

56,742 posts, read 81,061,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I worked in Henrietta but not much better there. The problem is that the perception of the religion all around the areas was bad except for the 1 or 2 towns. That's no way to live. On the island it's much more diverse with all races, and religions, and much more respectful.
Interesting....I don't think it's like that in the Syracuse area or some of the other areas in Upstate NY. I believe the Southeastern quarter of the city of Rochester still has a Jewish presence as well. Same with Penfield and western Irondequoit.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 PM

525 posts, read 1,645,756 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. We actually moved there in October 2008 but moved back to Long Island February 2010. The schools were okay, food pretty good, and not really a college town but a town that happens to have a college in it. Unfortunately it lacked the culture and friendly feel we were looking for. We came back to Long Island because with the drop in home prices, the houses are alot closer to the Rochester suburb prices now. That, and long island is close to NYC, stronger employment wages, better food variety and taste, and more areas that weren't just catholic or protestant. My family is not ultra religious by any means but seeing how much hate and negativity towards jewish people that I saw up there was disgusting. I hope people like the areas but we gave it a fair shot, and unfortunately it didn't suit us well.
Just for anyones information. I lived on Talamora Trail which is directly behind the Super Walmart on 31. Beautiful homes but not in the right environment for us.
Sorry to hear that. I never thought that would be an issue, but since I am not Jewish, maybe I just didn't see it.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,196,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Sorry to hear that. I never thought that would be an issue, but since I am not Jewish, maybe I just didn't see it.
It's understandable and you can't be blamed for it. Being in the Air Force for many years, I got to see it in the midwest and south alot too.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,636,246 times
Quote:
I worked in Henrietta but not much better there. The problem is that the perception of the religion all around the areas was bad except for the 1 or 2 towns. That's no way to live. On the island it's much more diverse with all races, and religions, and much more respectful.
outside of a handful of people, nobody cares that you're jewish in the Rochester area. No more hatred than you'd get in any other area with Jewish persons. To be honest, the majority of anti-semitism I've seen, came from long islanders. I've come across many people belonging to white power groups in long island. Surprising to me since everybody touted how diverse and accepting it was.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 PM

504 posts, read 1,296,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
outside of a handful of people, nobody cares that you're jewish in the Rochester area. No more hatred than you'd get in any other area with Jewish persons.
This is what I would have said, but since I'm not Jewish I hesitate to speak for them. A good proportion of the people I know in Rochester (and Syracuse, come to think of it) actually are Jewish, though, and I've never been aware of any type of discrimination or rudeness. But I guess most of the Jews I know are in the city and eastern suburbs, rather than the western exurbs.

to be honest, Lancet71's complaint sounds suspiciously like a variation of the "people from X area are just nastier and more unfriendly than people from Y area that I'm from" that's so common on these boards. It's usually not based in reality but on one or two interactions with bad apples from the area.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd consider Brockport representative of the Rochester area in this sense (although it's definitely becoming more attached). I hope I don't offend anyone by saying it seems more "small town" than Rochester or its immediate suburbs. Unfortunately, in small towns in WNY, Jewish people are still considered exotic, and can be targets of abuse.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 PM

56,742 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
This is what I would have said, but since I'm not Jewish I hesitate to speak for them. A good proportion of the people I know in Rochester (and Syracuse, come to think of it) actually are Jewish, though, and I've never been aware of any type of discrimination or rudeness. But I guess most of the Jews I know are in the city and eastern suburbs, rather than the western exurbs.

to be honest, Lancet71's complaint sounds suspiciously like a variation of the "people from X area are just nastier and more unfriendly than people from Y area that I'm from" that's so common on these boards. It's usually not based in reality but on one or two interactions with bad apples from the area.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd consider Brockport representative of the Rochester area in this sense (although it's definitely becoming more attached). I hope I don't offend anyone by saying it seems more "small town" than Rochester or its immediate suburbs. Unfortunately, in small towns in WNY, Jewish people are still considered exotic, and can be targets of abuse.
It's interesting you say this, as in both areas, it seems like the Jewish community is concentrated more on the East Side of both cities and the Eastern suburbs of both areas. With a few in say Liverpool in regards to the Syracuse area and western Irondequoit in regards to the Rochester area.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. We actually moved there in October 2008 but moved back to Long Island February 2010. The schools were okay, food pretty good, and not really a college town but a town that happens to have a college in it. Unfortunately it lacked the culture and friendly feel we were looking for. We came back to Long Island because with the drop in home prices, the houses are alot closer to the Rochester suburb prices now. That, and long island is close to NYC, stronger employment wages, better food variety and taste, and more areas that weren't just catholic or protestant. My family is not ultra religious by any means but seeing how much hate and negativity towards jewish people that I saw up there was disgusting. I hope people like the areas but we gave it a fair shot, and unfortunately it didn't suit us well.
Just for anyones information. I lived on Talamora Trail which is directly behind the Super Walmart on 31. Beautiful homes but not in the right environment for us.
That's a joke right?

Prices have dropped on Long Island while holding steady in Rochester but they are not even close to being the same. Just for kicks I went to look up real estate on Long Island and the Rochester area to compare the most affluent and expensive suburb of Rochester; Pittsford...with one of the cheapest (and not very desirable) towns on Long Island; Roosevelt, NY

Here's what $300k gets you in both;

Roosevelt:

Roosevelt, NY 11575 - MLS #: 2243122

A small under 2k sq ft dated ranch with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 car garage, on .18 of an acre. Keep in mind this is one of the WORST and CHEAPEST areas of Long Island with a not so great school district....for $299,999

Pittsford:

http://nothnagle.com/Properties/Deta...?R=1&M=R114951

2700 Sq ft, 4 bedroom, 2 story beautifully maintained and updated home, with 2 fireplaces, granite counter tops, 2 car garage, on nearly 3/4 of an acre. In one of the best school districts in New York state that is ranked among the best nationally....oh yeah, and 10k cheaper at $289,900.

So no, the home prices are not even remotely similar on Long Island and suburban Rochester by any stretch of the imagination. You get much much much more house for your money in the most expensive area of greater Rochester in a far superior school district than you get in one of the sketchier areas of Long Island.

Lance I can understand your homesickness and that you can appreciate Long Island and what it has to offer and I'm sorry you weren't has happy in the Rochester area; but it's still not right make ridiculous claims about Rochester having the same COL of Long Island. That's just not true.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That's a joke right?

Prices have dropped on Long Island while holding steady in Rochester but they are not even close to being the same. Just for kicks I went to look up real estate on Long Island and the Rochester area to compare the most affluent and expensive suburb of Rochester; Pittsford...with one of the cheapest (and not very desirable) towns on Long Island; Roosevelt, NY

Here's what $300k gets you in both;

Roosevelt:

Roosevelt, NY 11575 - MLS #: 2243122

A small under 2k sq ft dated ranch with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 car garage, on .18 of an acre. Keep in mind this is one of the WORST and CHEAPEST areas of Long Island with a not so great school district....for $299,999

Pittsford:

Nothnagle.com - 16 Van Cortland Dr, Pittsford, NY 14534

2700 Sq ft, 4 bedroom, 2 story beautifully maintained and updated home, with 2 fireplaces, granite counter tops, 2 car garage, on nearly 3/4 of an acre. In one of the best school districts in New York state that is ranked among the best nationally....oh yeah, and 10k cheaper at $289,900.

So no, the home prices are not even remotely similar on Long Island and suburban Rochester by any stretch of the imagination. You get much much much more house for your money in the most expensive area of greater Rochester in a far superior school district than you get in one of the sketchier areas of Long Island.

Lance I can understand your homesickness and that you can appreciate Long Island and what it has to offer and I'm sorry you weren't has happy in the Rochester area; but it's still not right make ridiculous claims about Rochester having the same COL of Long Island. That's just not true.
Your talking to someone who has now lived in both areas. I do agree that the eastern suburbs might be better than the western suburbs of Rochester and if you want me to be specific it was the church just southwest of the business district on lake avenue in Brockport where they were constantly spewing the hate. Trust me I have no reason to make anything up and if I just preferred Long Island, i'd be very specific why. As far as compairing Roosevelt which is not a bad area and compairing it to Pittsford, that's ridiculous. One thing you also have to consider is, considering that it is Nassau county, you are paying for your proximity to NYC. People will buy into lesser areas for easy commutes. That is why a bad area like Roosevelt can maintain rates. I also stated that the gap has been closed between the 2 areas. I never said they were evenly priced. If you want to talk about $299,999, you might want to check areas like Selden, Centereach, Rocky Point, Miller Place, Mount Sinai, Sound Beach, Port Jefferson Station as examples. They are middle class areas with varied taxes but all with decent schools. If you go on www.mlsli.com , you can search these towns easily. Be sure to check off for Suffolk county. These areas are all within 45 minutes of the Hamptons as well, the Riverhead tanger outlets,and a large variety of vineyards and wineries on the north and south forks that are only smaller in numbers to the ones in Napa Valley.
So 45 minutes to the luxury of the hamptons,and an hour away from NYC just to give you a little perspective.
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_...start=3&rpp=10
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_test.CFM?MLNum=2236746&typeprop=1&s tart=3&rpp=10 http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_test.CFM?MLNum=2243538&typeprop=1&s tart=3&rpp=10
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo_...start=4&rpp=10

Last edited by Lancet71; 05-08-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
You said prices were "a lot closer to the Rochester suburb prices now". And that's not true; that is all I was contesting.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You said prices were "a lot closer to the Rochester suburb prices now". And that's not true; that is all I was contesting.
It is true. The houses that are under 100k in the suburbs of Rochester are mostly ancient fixer-uppers. Alot of very nice homes were going for $170-250k in those same areas. Now $170k can be harder to find on Long Island, you just have to know where to look and in a town like Rocky point (for example) which has excellent schools you can get homes for this. If you want to do comparisons, they are not equal but much closer than they were 5 years ago and DEFINITELY alot closer than anyone including yourself thought possible. The only difference is the price of the mansions which would be alot higher. The regular homes are not. That's what also made my family's return easier. If the prices were the same as 2005, it would be a much tougher pill to swallow based on the home purchase prices. Considering the pay scales are a bit higher on LI and the home price difference is not far apart from the previous area, it was an easy choice. Otherwise we probably would have moved to an area that we weren't portrayed as the anti-christ.

Last edited by Lancet71; 05-08-2010 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area