U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,150,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Great. Another "LI is so much better than everywhere else", thread.
Well for me, being a non-catholic, yes it is but I stated compared to Rochester, not the whole world. You just sound like something looking for an argument, nice try! I guess you weren't too high on it either considering you're now in South Carolina.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Well for me, being a non-catholic, yes it is but I stated compared to Rochester, not the whole world. You just sound like something looking for an argument, nice try! I guess you weren't too high on it either considering you're now in South Carolina.
Nah, but I do know my Long Islanders

Not looking for an argument, just observing where this thread was headed.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Nah, but I do know my Long Islanders

Not looking for an argument, just observing where this thread was headed.
Well unfortunately your assumption was wrong. Just stating EXACTLY what I saw and felt.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM

56,261 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Well unfortunately your assumption was wrong. Just stating EXACTLY what I saw and felt.
To be honest, I think what happened was more indicitive of that church and not even the Brockport area or the Rochester area as a whole. I say this espeicially considering that there are areas of the metro that have noticeable Jewish presence, that are reasonably priced and have schools that are "better" than Brockport schools(which is subjective, by the way). Personally, I would have gone with West Irondequoit or Henrietta if I was you due to those school districts being good, having relatively more diverse schools than most other suburban areas and I would think would tend to be at least more tolerant to those of a Jewish background due to both having a bit of a Jewish presence. If you could afford Brighton, that would have been perfect.

I also find this interesting considering that the Long Island metro area is supposedly one of, if not the most segregated in the US. I've noticed that even in school districts that are diverse, the housing patterns can be segregated. Amityville, Half Hollow Hills and Farmingdale are some SD's that come to mind.

I also wonder what part of L.I. you were coming from?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, I think what happened was more indicitive of that church and not even the Brockport area or the Rochester area as a whole. I say this espeicially considering that there are areas of the metro that have noticeable Jewish presence, that are reasonably priced and have schools that are "better" than Brockport schools(which is subjective, by the way). Personally, I would have gone with West Irondequoit or Henrietta if I was you due to those school districts being good, having relatively more diverse schools than most other suburban areas and I would think would tend to be at least more tolerant to those of a Jewish background due to both having a bit of a Jewish presence. If you could afford Brighton, that would have been perfect.

I also find this interesting considering that the Long Island metro area is supposedly one of, if not the most segregated in the US. I've noticed that even in school districts that are diverse, the housing patterns can be segregated. Amityville, Half Hollow Hills and Farmingdale are some SD's that come to mind.

I also wonder what part of L.I. you were coming from?
I was born in Queens with my family originally from the Bronx. Besides my military time, I have lived in what is considered eastern suffolk. My local towns are coram, selden, centereach, port jefferson station, port jefferson, mount sinai, miller place, sound beach, lake grove, stony brook, and rocky point to name a few. In all of these areas you will find black, white, hispanic, asian, catholic, jewish, hindu, and muslim backgrounds. Also in these towns there is NO segregation. In certain areas over the years there has been more of an increase in the hispanic and black population and like alot of other people, occasionally people like to be surrounded by the same as themselves but it's definitely not like the 40's when there were well defined areas for specific groups (black areas, italian areas, irish areas). Long Island has been a melting pot for years but in general, judaism isn't an unknown religion and surely not one that is somewhat looked down upon. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the population of long island is 25% jewish either but it's respected about as much as christianity and we are not looked at like we're the ones who killed christ too.
The areas you mentioned are more black than certain other areas but I could also say that about towns like Brentwood and Central Islip where it's almost split with one side of town being hispanic and the other side being black, with white people scattered in both areas, but all people walk in both sides of town without any possible worries.
When I drove through Brockport to Greece(on ridge road) it felt like I was watching "Deliverance" at times.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
Quote:
When I drove through Brockport to Greece(on ridge road) it felt like I was watching "Deliverance" at times.
Hmmm, I first had sympathy and thought you may have had a bad experience. This comment sounds like a stereotypical Long Island statement who is ignorant of the area though. It sounds like the biggest problem is that this area isn't exactly like Long Island.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Hmmm, I first had sympathy and thought you may have had a bad experience. This comment sounds like a stereotypical Long Island statement who is ignorant of the area though. It sounds like the biggest problem is that this area isn't exactly like Long Island.
When I went to other towns it had a better feel, even Spencerport which was the next town over but south of ridge road. When I went west on ridge road towards Albion it had that bad feeling. You have to realize that I was stationed at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri in the early 90's and that base was surrounded by a town called "KNOB NOSTER". I repeat KNOB NOSTER; and it also had a rural look and feel but not a backwoods feel like on ridge road. I'm sorry if i'm offending you but just the way I view it.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
Quote:
When I went to other towns it had a better feel, even Spencerport which was the next town over but south of ridge road. When I went west on ridge road towards Albion it had that bad feeling. You have to realize that I was stationed at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri in the early 90's and that base was surrounded by a town called "KNOB NOSTER". I repeat KNOB NOSTER; and it also had a rural look and feel but not a backwoods feel like on ridge road. I'm sorry if i'm offending you but just the way I view it.
I'm not offended, but comparing backwoods Georgia to Ridge Rd. is ridiculous. Actually, comparing Ridge Rd. even to the Catskills is ridiculous. Albion is like most of upstate NY outside of the major cities and immediate suburbs. I'd hate to see what you thought of Wayne County, most of the Finger Lakes, places like Sharon Springs or Amsterdam, most of I-86, the Thousand Islands, etc.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM

56,261 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
What's interesting is that Albion is actually a relatively diverse community with decent sized Black and Hispanic populations and you can see it in the schools there as well. So, maybe it was a thing of not stepping out of the comfort zone.

Again, I think the suburbs mentioned would have made more sense for you.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's interesting is that Albion is actually a relatively diverse community with decent sized Black and Hispanic populations and you can see it in the schools there as well. So, maybe it was a thing of not stepping out of the comfort zone.

Again, I think the suburbs mentioned would have made more sense for you.
You might have been right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area