Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
.... attendance was up this year...keep pulling out opinion articles...
Homey, I know it proves your point, it also proves that overall interest has waned.

2 of the 3 articles were not opinion articles. I linked the 1 article that was opinion because it has a picture of the stadium, virtually empty, for the The US Women’s National Team. The author states almost 15,000 people attended the teams' first outing at Frontier Field. Do we even need to guess the attendance in the photo?

So a new stadium itself doesn't generate interest? Hmmm...

If you disfavor soft stories, reports from the street, and tangentals, why are you here interacting with people? Just read data and ignore the sentience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Default south wedge

I have lived in south wedge in the past 3 years.Crime has gone up so much in my area for awhile it is not safe to go out at night. I get bothered every day for money. Yes their is development in the area but it off sets it self. South wedge was nice 3 years ago but now its not as good. I literal saw a helicopter the other day in my neigborhood looking for criminals. I also have police officers sitting in there vechicle in my apt parking lot. I live in the heart of south wedge. My apartment building is half empty. Also I have been look at the census of rochester and found that there is a generation gap. You will see that the college educated are leaving, also the 23-29 age group is very small. Why do you think that is? Also if any one reads RBJ they said rochester and nyc took the hardest hit in the economy and population loss since 2001

Old 03-07-2007, 05:14 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Darn Garmin! So close, so close...

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=46198&rnews_story_type=18&catego ry=10 (broken link)

"Midtown Plaza appears headed back on the market, now that developers of a Made-In Italy proposal for the mall failed to make an eleventh-hour effort to bring their plan to market."

http://rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=46782&rnews_story_type=18 (broken link)

"Rochester Mayor Bob Duffy is demanding a meeting with potential fast ferry buyer Euroferries Limited but the city may be a month too late. SpeedFerries is a European fast ferry operator that would be in direct competition with Euroferries. SpeedFerries says it signed a four-year lease for space at Dover's Western Docks. The same space Euroferries was planning to use to run service between England and France using Rochester's ferry."

The City of Rochester should hold a pay-per-view televising of the Fast Fairy barreling over Niagara Falls. I would pay $100 to watch. At this point, it may be the only way to get the City's money back.

Or, store the Fairy in Midtown and, um, have a "suspicious fire."

Old 03-10-2007, 09:46 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Muggy's don't forget that the city is try to add Gentrification to its list. Corn hills landing, High falls area and the new apts there and east ave lofts. Also the whole blue cross arena problem they are facing. But your right with the orginal post that rochester has not changed much.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
I am from Australia looking for an investment property in Rochester NY, does anybody have a recent comment re property taxes, looking to invest about $60000

Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 PM

233 posts, read 685,442 times
$60k is going to get you an old dump in the city, which will probably attract bad tenants. You must screen them ALL. And Monroe County has the highest property taxes in the nation, so if I were you I'd invest my money somewhere else. That's the best advice I can give.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2tract View Post
I am from Australia looking for an investment property in Rochester NY, does anybody have a recent comment re property taxes, looking to invest about $60000

Check out trulia.com, there are some houses in nice areas for 50-80,000. I would recommend houses around colleges such as R.I.T, Brockport, St.John Fisher, University of Rochester because students are always looking to rent. Property taxes are about the same as here in FL. Monroe County are nearly $3,900 per year but it all depends where you live in monroe county. My parents for example pay $3,543.83 in Spencerport NY, I pay $4,294.92 in Tampa for the same amount of property. So it does depend on what you are used to.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2tract View Post

As I said in a different thread, the Rochester area has the single highest property taxes in the ENTIRE COUNTRY lol.

Monroe County Property Taxes Highest in the Nation - YNN, Your News Now

and this article was released TODAY; pretty recent if you ask me.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 AM

99 posts, read 228,041 times
Jeff2tract. I own rental property in Rochester and have posted my thoughts on the subject in several previous posts. A search under posts by doggz or Doggz3 should get you there. I am happy to discuss any additional questions you may have.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
As I said in a different thread, the Rochester area has the single highest property taxes in the ENTIRE COUNTRY lol.

Monroe County Property Taxes Highest in the Nation - YNN, Your News Now

and this article was released TODAY; pretty recent if you ask me.
That means rate, not in terms of average. So, all that is saying is that for the cost of the house, the property taxes are of a higher percentage in the area, not the highest, per se. Meaning, if you can get a 100k house in the area, but the taxes are say 4k. What they don't think about is that the house in say Florida or Texas would or might cost say 150k even if the taxes are say 3k. So, it all comes down to perspective. In the end, you might end up paying less in Rochester overall for a property due to the lower housing costs. You might be able to buy a home in the Rochester area that costs 150k, but is bigger than a home in a Southern state that costs the same amount in many cases. This is something that has been discussed many times on this particular part of the forum and other NY State forums here from people that have lived in other regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area