U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 57,702 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have recently moved to Rochester from pennsylvania. Whats the procedure of changing DL and car registration. Is there any latest date before I need to do it. I moved to rochester 15 days ao.

Thanks,
PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 31,684 times
I believe you have 30 or 90 days to take care of all that, but first , you need to have car insurance before iniciating the process. You can go to the local DMV and obtain the application. You will need to bring your current license and car title or documentation on your car. Your DL and new car title will come to you on the mail.
Check with any local Library also. To my knowledge the DMV does that type of thing at list one day every week. You have to call and inquire as far as the hours.
They are fuzzy about the paperwork, so have everything you need so that you don't waist time. Hope it helps.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM

9 posts, read 57,702 times
Thanks.

I have car insurance but it is from pennsylvania. Does that car insurance not count?

PS

Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 AM

7 posts, read 31,684 times
I am not sure but I think that as long as your insurance company is also in NY state you won't have a problem. I transfered from another state and the insurance company I was with did not have offices in NY. The rep in that state told me that I would have to cancel mine and open a new one in the new state due to different state laws (even if there were offices in NYS) You will think they will let you use the one you already have but in my case that was not the case.
Ask your insurance company if you can transfer the one you already have. You may run into the same situation I did
Elise

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,778,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseBlue View Post
I am not sure but I think that as long as your insurance company is also in NY state you won't have a problem. I transfered from another state and the insurance company I was with did not have offices in NY. The rep in that state told me that I would have to cancel mine and open a new one in the new state due to different state laws (even if there were offices in NYS) You will think they will let you use the one you already have but in my case that was not the case.
Ask your insurance company if you can transfer the one you already have. You may run into the same situation I did
Elise
I think you should go with an agent in NYS... I got into an accident in another state with another customer w/in my insurance company last summer and they had different rules for insurance there than in NYS... My agent didn't even know the rules for that State because NYS is where he is and where I am... you might want to call an agency near by to double check...it wouldn't hurt and only takes about 10 minutes. It was a 7 month battle between states because it was different rules and I had to eat my deductable even though it was a 50/50 and they used my insurance company- that state says you BOTH have to pay the full deductable even though my agency here gives me half back if it is 50/50...

Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM

351 posts, read 2,163,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinhasG35 View Post
I have recently moved to Rochester from pennsylvania. Whats the procedure of changing DL and car registration. Is there any latest date before I need to do it. I moved to rochester 15 days ago.

I posted a similar question a while back, here's the link in case it helps (or in case anyone wants to add to that thread): DL and title.

Regarding your question, I could not find a DMV website for Monroe County. The general, NY state website says that you can use your out-of-state DL and car title/registration/tags for up to 90 days. After that, it is assumed you intend to establish permanent residence in the state of NY, and from that moment you have 30 days to get a NY DL / title/ registration/ set of tags. The concept of "permanent residence" is open to interpretation. For instance, the website says that students are not assumed to be looking for permanent residence, since they can be in the state only for 1 semester (120 days), or a whole year, or 4 years, but you never know. So I guess that means students can keep their out-of-state documentation (although the website does not specifically say so).

Like I said, I could not find a website for Monroe County, to see how they interpret the "permanent residence" concept.

Last edited by rgpg_99; 06-02-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseBlue View Post
I am not sure but I think that as long as your insurance company is also in NY state you won't have a problem. I transfered from another state and the insurance company I was with did not have offices in NY.

I have Geico and I asked them about my upcoming move to NY. They asked me the zip code where I would reside, and within 10 minutes they were able to tell me what the requirements were in that state in terms of coverage, and then they estimated what my new premium would be. They said that as soon as I ship my car to NY, I should call them to transfer the insurance policy to my new state, so that the car would be covered over there when they get it off the truck. (I'm in no way associated with Geico, I'm sure any other company with offices in both your previous state and NY would be able to do the same)

Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,610,581 times
I think its 60-90 days, but I have a friend who recently moved back thats been driving around since December with his MA plates and hasn't had any problems.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinhasG35 View Post
Whats the procedure of changing DL and car registration.

According to the NY DMV website (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm (broken link)), you would have to turn in your previous DL, which will be destroyed, and you will get a new one. You will only need to take an eye exam (no written or road test). What bothers me is the shredding of the old license part. You may be enrolled in a number of services, you may be a member of a number of organizations, etc., that use your DL to identify you. If the old one is destroyed, now you have to be proving to all of them that you are still the same person, with a different DL number (it happened to me once). They even destroy your foreign license (e.g., a Canadian one) before giving you a NY license. Now, some people may see how destroying a Canadian license helps with national security, I still don't think it makes sense to destroy a foreign document as a prerequisite to grant a US one. If, after a few months, you move back to Canada, you have to start the process of getting a new license again, when you had a perfectly good one that was shredded in some NY DMV office... It is as if the University of Rochester required transfer students to surrender and shred their previous universities' ID cards before issuing a U of R one...

In Florida, if you are not sure you will stay in that state indefinitely they let you keep your old license (instead of shredding it), and they give you a Florida driver license that is valid only within the state. That way, you get to keep your old license (and your old identity), but you fulfill the state of Florida's requirements by getting a local license too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or