U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,451 times

Advertisements

Hi every one!
I am about to get a temporary (2-3 yrs) job in Rochester General Hospital and thinking of moving over to this area.
Any opinions on the area close to RGH and the hospital overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
Love the hospital. Do you have family and schools to worry about? What is your budget for housing? If you want to live very close by, I'd look at Irondequoit north of Titus. If you are a city person, the Park Avenue area is good. If you are a suburb type of guy, look at Webster. Provide more details, and I can be of more assistance, as can everyone else.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 10,451 times
Thanx for your response.
Yes, I do have a family and school is a worry for my 11 y/o son, but I am going to move there ahead of my family first and stay by myself for at least for 7-8 months. So I was planning to rent close to the hospital and to search around till the rest of us will catch up. I definitly not a suburb type... currently in NYC.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 PM

106 posts, read 471,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSam View Post
Hi every one!
I am about to get a temporary (2-3 yrs) job in Rochester General Hospital and thinking of moving over to this area.
Any opinions on the area close to RGH and the hospital overall?
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW JOB AT RGH--GREAT PLACE TO WORK--I have actually just resigned but not because of Rgh but because I'm relocating to NC. I worked on a fast paced cardiac unit there 5100 as a nurse --the staff are outstanding and the care is top notch. RGH partners with the Cleveland Clinic for cardiac. Doctors, nurses and support services are excellent you will like the atmosphere there --very friendly and inviting. As far as where to live--depends on how far you want to travel --i lived in the "burbs " and traveled approx. 30 min to work--did 12 hr shifts and never had a problem with traffic within those hours. Rochester is a very diverse community with much to offer . There are places that I'd stay away from as in most cities but the suburban areas for the most part are very good. Greece , Gates , Webster , fairport, are few places for you to start ...you can check them out on the threads. RGH is located just off 104 --the area close to the hospital is questionable. Good luck I know you will like it there --I did!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 AM

169 posts, read 422,919 times
If you want to stay in an urban area, north of Titus in Irondequoit or east of Culver Road in the city are the best areas to look at if you want to find a close in rental in a good area. The neighborhoods in Southeast Rochester are generally considered to be the best (for longer term prospects).

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSam View Post
Thanx for your response.
Yes, I do have a family and school is a worry for my 11 y/o son, but I am going to move there ahead of my family first and stay by myself for at least for 7-8 months. So I was planning to rent close to the hospital and to search around till the rest of us will catch up. I definitly not a suburb type... currently in NYC.
If you want to rent close by, I would choose to stay either north of the hospital or in the Park Avenue/East End area for more of a metro feel (obviously nothing like NYC though). When you family moves up, I would definitely not live in the city unless you wanted to send your son to private school. West Irondequoit is probably the best school district within 5 minutes of the hospital, but most of the suburban school districts are good. As mentioned, traffic in Rochester is pretty negligible even during rush hour, especially compared to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or