U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:00 PM

502 posts, read 1,495,259 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question, but what kind of cars do people drive in Rochester? What are the most popular vehicles there? Would anyone driving a luxury sedan or SUV stick out or seem out of place? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 AM

134 posts, read 372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
This may be a silly question, but what kind of cars do people drive in Rochester? What are the most popular vehicles there? Would anyone driving a luxury sedan or SUV stick out or seem out of place? TIA.
LOL !! No. There is a lot of different cars driven here. Believe it or not... upstate New Yorkers do not really care what others drive.... We got 'em all- sedans, luxury boats, SUV's, gas sippers, motorcycles, trucks... domestic & foriegn. Heck... we took a vote on my street and allowed the neighbor to get a Mini Cooper. Have you seen one of those things? Small.... like a clown car! And Clowns are scary!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:23 PM

254 posts, read 750,240 times
Quote:

That is so funny that you ask that. We drove my landrover to Rochester on one of our last trips (we recently sold it because baby #3 is due soon and I didn't want my older dd to have to always have to go in the *trunk* to get into her seat LOL) Anyways everytime I parked it people would always be staring at it and talking about it which I thought was odd. I think it really depends on where you live in Rochester. I see a lot of older american cars and not as many newer high end cars on most of our travels throughout the city except when we are in Pittsford. My husband is a car person and notices these things...his audi is easy to pick out in parking lots there (except for Pittsford Wegmans)

Old 01-24-2007, 01:27 PM

3,235 posts, read 5,088,058 times
Quote:
People drive the same cars as everybody esle in the country does. You may see more SUV's since there is more snow. You won't stick out with a luxury sedan. I've driven in a few and we did not stick out or get wierd looks anywhere.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Okay thank you for your answers. I'm interested in relocating to the area and I am considering a luxury mid-size SUV, the Acura MDX, to be exact. I know that Rochester is a nice area and that people do drive nice cars there, but I wanted to know to what extent.

For example, in Long Island (where I am NOT from), I notice that there are a lot of luxury SUVS, plenty of Land and Range Rovers, Lexus, BMW etc. But there are also a lot of American cars and even older cars (sedans and SUVs). I don't want to compare so that is why I asked.

Well, thank you for your answers.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,416,929 times
With the exception of the affluent suburbs of Pittsford, Mendon, and to an extent Brighton....the Rochester area isn't as "upscale" as Long Island. But I agree with others, you wouldn't get a strange look from anyone driving a luxury car...unless perhaps you were driving down Clifford Avenue in the City or something lke that (not that I could think of any reason you would)

Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
But I agree with others, you wouldn't get a strange look from anyone driving a luxury car...unless perhaps you were driving down Clifford Avenue in the City or something lke that (not that I could think of any reason you would)

lol, If you were driving down Clifford in a luxury car people would probally ask you what drugs you were selling

Old 01-24-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
lol, If you were driving down Clifford in a luxury car people would probally ask you what drugs you were selling
What section is Clifford in? Just curious.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM

254 posts, read 750,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
thanks for giving me a chuckle this morning !!! Yeah they actually probably do drive luxury cars down there..20 yr olds with 50k cars

Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
What section is Clifford in? Just curious.

Clifford runs from the end of Irondequoit to the heart of the city into the "crescent". They east part of Clifford used to be an Italian neighborhood (still kinda is I guess). Once you start moving closer to the center of the city it gets worse. The area is known for shootings, drug acitivity and violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area