U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times

Advertisements

The Italians in that part of the city ran away to Irondequoit back in the 60's and 70's. I think it's mostly puerto rican and black now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 04:38 PM

134 posts, read 473,616 times
I think that is somewhat harsh. Perhaps a more accurate description of the people living in that area of Clifford Ave would be lower income. It is a very diverse neighborhood and not just Puerto Ricans & Blacks. It is an area of lower cost houses and lots of cheaper rental properties. And yes, as a result it is the area with more crime. Of course... those who plan to live in Pittsford and staying out of the city would "never" dream of driving there.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:55 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,010 times
I grew up in marketview heights around Clifford Ave. There are still a good amount of Italians, mostly middle aged to older folks though. I still have some younger cousins in the neighborhood. There are stil a few Italian owned stores (barber shops, Savoia's, Fioravanti's), but much of the area is Black and PR.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM

12 posts, read 58,475 times
Default Italian markets????

Since a few of these posts mention Italians, Is there a good italian market up there, Italitan items you can't find at your local grocery store. ?

Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 PM

There are plenty. I buy lots of my stuff from a local Italian deli. There are several that stock hard to find items that you would not find at a grocery store.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
Italians make up the second largest ethnic group in the Rochester area after Germans I believe.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:51 PM

254 posts, read 962,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candylkeme View Post
Since a few of these posts mention Italians, Is there a good italian market up there, Italitan items you can't find at your local grocery store. ?

Rubino's in Irondequoit

Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,032 times
i pine for rochester like a long lost lover. one of my favorite places on earth. rochester is really dog friendly, very walkable community. apartments dont generally have yards at all but walking your dog dusk and dawn will become one of your favorite times. always something to see. festivals out the ying-yang all spring-summer-fall long. yes i agree with lake ontario beaches are nothing to right home about for you but your dog will love them. try hillside dr. , park ave on one side cobbs hill on they other, cutest little elementary school in the middle. this area feels like suburbia but is right in the middle of the city. i do know that education, medical and wegmans are major employers in the area. im in resteraunts so i dont have to much more info on income expectations. hope you get enough info on rochester and areas. maybe ill see you there i thankfully get to move back this summer after 7 yrs in salt lake city and give my kids a chance at a real education. theyre 1.5 yrs behind kids in roch. good luck

Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
Rubino's in Irondequoit

yep, thats a good one. I also like Palermo's on the corner of Norton and Culver.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,318 times
u dont want to move it's horrible dwn there they talk funny and the city has murders every day job loss bad economy. and the teens are going buckwild hose party's gunfights no programs for kids. people up here act funny especially the black people im black dnt get me wrong im from Connecticut and i been living here for 1 year and half. the teen pregnancy is the highest in the whole united states. the chics up here act like NY FROM FLAVOR OF LOVE there phoney they act funny nosey dirty and to heat up your house with RGANDE is for a three bdrm house is $400 a month people up here work to pay bills they estimate your bill for the whole year and u got to keep ur heat on 69 in below frezzing weather it be like 10 degrees ur house is gonna fell like that. if u go over 69 u gotta pay extra alot extra on top of the $400 a month if u have it on 75 ur bill be about 900 dollars and snow removble is not perfect people dnt even shovel there side walk or driveway they snd a little car on the side walk with a shoval and u just walking over snow and ice people are backward up here they act so wierd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or