U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 PM

27 posts, read 72,960 times

Advertisements

glanced at the threads regarding Rochester and could only find the one debating if Rochester has grown or not. I'm looking for some useful info on relocating there. Such as what are the safe places to live? Is it a dog friendly town, and are jobs somewhat easy to come by (medical admin. and IT?) It seems close to the lake, how are the beaches? Are people friendly? Coming from Seattle, housing seems cheap, meaning here you’ll pay 250k for a 400 sq foot condo, where as there, it seems you could buy a huge house for that. Is this true?? How is traffic? How about year round highlights on the activities that take place. Any festivals etc??

Trisha J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 12:12 AM

83 posts, read 910,887 times
I can get back to you on this topic in about a week becuase I am actually going to spend the next week in Rochester looking for a new place to live!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,891,206 times
I can't give you anything too specific. Most all of the suburbs are going to be fine. The city has an inner loop (freeway) and an outer loop that circles into the burbs. It's efficient and traffic isn't too bad.

It is on the lake. It's only warm enough to swim in late July and August unless you like really cold water. People in Rochester are particularly friendly. In the medical field there should be no problem finding a job. IT, I don't know about. Not as much of it as on the west coast.

You will be able to buy a decent house for that amount of money. There's a lilac festival in mid May. The dog question I don't understand? If you're in the burbs you're going to be driving and the dog will be in your yard anyway.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 AM

134 posts, read 473,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishaJ View Post
glanced at the threads regarding Rochester and could only find the one debating if Rochester has grown or not. I'm looking for some useful info on relocating there. Such as what are the safe places to live? Is it a dog friendly town, and are jobs somewhat easy to come by (medical admin. and IT?) It seems close to the lake, how are the beaches? Are people friendly? Coming from Seattle, housing seems cheap, meaning here you’ll pay 250k for a 400 sq foot condo, where as there, it seems you could buy a huge house for that. Is this true?? How is traffic? How about year round highlights on the activities that take place. Any festivals etc??

Trisha J.
Any of the ring of suburbs are fine, nice and safe. Most of the city is also safe, for that matter. (what is safe in your definition?) (and I live within city limits) This is a very dog friendly town, just like anywhere ... pick up the ****. Medical jobs (like most places) are easy to find, IT is fair... depends. Like most other threads here on this forum... finding the job first before moving seems prudent. Rochester is close to Lake Ontario... but the beaches are nothing like ocean front cities. There is a nice public beach & park but as noted, swimming is for July/August. In fact, there are lots of city & county parks and public spaces here. Housing costs are reasonable and your numbers would definetly buy a large home in the burbs.... keep in mind the jobs may not pay the same here as Seattle. Traffic is only a problem if there is an accident during rush hour, otherwise it's a breeze. And last- there are many festivals and events year round. The city, county & towns all have events scheduled for every conceivable taste.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,881,353 times
no exaggeration..... from April to October.... there probably isn't a period of more than a few days when there ISN'T a festival of some sort in the Greater Rochester area. Especially in the familand in the outlying counties and the wine country in the finger lakes. In the city there is the Lilac Festival in May at highland park, the Corn Hill arts festival in the beautiful historic Corn Hill neighborhood, the Clothesline festival.... a festival for pretty much every ethnicity in the area (German, Italian, Irish, Puerto Rican, etc.) and many other things. $250k will get you a brand new 4 bedroom house with a basement, 2 car garage and excellent schools (the only thing to keep in mind is that the taxes on that house will probably be upwards of 6 or 7k a year....its worth it IMO after living in NC and paying lower taxes for crappy services and a mess of a school system though)

Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 16,680 times
What about schools? I am getting ready to move Rochester this summer from Wichita, Ks. What I mean is that my kids need education, not political indoctrination. How exclusive are the Catholic Schools?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 AM

254 posts, read 962,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
its worth it IMO after living in NC and paying lower taxes for crappy services and a mess of a school system though)
Ahhh..I'm so familiar with that being stuck here in Charlotte and no jobs for my husband in Rochester

Rochester is a great city with so much to do (festivals galore as pp's mentioned..we have like 1 here in Charlotte LOL)

I personally like the east side much better than the west side..I would look into Penfield, Brighton and Pittsford..all have wonderful schools.

Traffic is nothing there..though some Rochestarians may complain but it is because they haven't lived anywhere with real traffic LOL!

People are EXTREMELY friendly!!!

ram0166- Catholic schools are not exclusive at all, very middle class..they are dying out sadly (public schools are some of the best in the country) My husband went to McQuaid Jesuit Highschool (7th-12th now) and he loved it! My brother and sister went to catholic school but it closed a long time ago.

James I'm jealous! Post when you return and let us know what you think about Rochester

Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,881,353 times
School districts in suburban Rochester are some of the best in the state. As a matter of fact..Pittsford and Brighton schools both placed in the top 50 in the nation this year.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,543 times
I Have Been Up In The Rochester Area For A Little Over 3 Years, Im From Downstate,(ny)way To Expensive). I Lived In Florida For 5 Years, S.c For A Short Time. I Really Like It Here Best, Like Previous Said Theres Always Something To Do, See ,festivals Free Concerts At The Beach In Charlotte, Jazz Fests.boat Cruises On The Lake., Great Food All Over Rochester.also Just Heard Today On The Radio , That Here In This Area You Can Get More House For The Money Than Just About Anywhere In The Country.,i Have Seen That 4 Sure.ppl Are Very Nice ,and Theres So Many Places To Just Take A Ride.. Like The Finger Lakes Region,winerys,niagara Falls,watkins Glenn,cooperstown, Goes On And On.dont Think You Can Go Wrong!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:00 PM

897 posts, read 2,249,556 times
The population in monroe county(rochester area) in 2000 was 735,343 and now in 2005 it was 704,993. I just read in the newspaper(d and c) that in the last year the area could not sell a house if it tried. The jobs by bizjournal rank rochester #6 for worst job growth rate -4.0. they have had a net loss of 21,000 since 2001. average pay for a medical field is $28,000. 3 largest industry in rochester. suburb are the best to live.All towns are dog friendly. beaches are a joke.(fast ferry). parks are Nice to walk.People are so-so.home ownership is worthless due to appreciation is not good. rochester last 3 years average 19% as the rest of the top metro areas was 79%. since 1987 to 2003 average apprciation was 6% each year which is under us averages do to loss of jobs and poor economy. traffic is awesome roads are being re-paved and snow removal is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or