U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 17,553 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I just recently graduated from college down on LI and I'm interested in relocating to Rochester for a few years so that I can save some money. I'm looking for somewhere that is reasonably priced and safe. I found a very reasonable apartment complex (Affinity Orchards) in Greece and I was wondering if anyone had any information about the complex or just about the area in general? I appreciate any information you can give me!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,798,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving623 View Post
Hello All! I just recently graduated from college down on LI and I'm interested in relocating to Rochester for a few years so that I can save some money. I'm looking for somewhere that is reasonably priced and safe. I found a very reasonable apartment complex (Affinity Orchards) in Greece and I was wondering if anyone had any information about the complex or just about the area in general? I appreciate any information you can give me!

Thanks!
Is there a reason you are moving to THAT complex? Isn't it English Village Apaprtments? There is a lot of Rif Raf in that complex due to the low income housing... Rochester is a pretty large area... are you looking at Greece ONLY? Are you interested in being in walking distance to bars/night life? What are you looking at in terms of location? But to answer your original question, unless you need assistance with paying rent I would not live in that complex...

Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,906,699 times
English Village is probably the ONLY area anywhere in suburban Rochester I've ever seen that I would consider "ghetto". I would avoid that area. There are much nicer places (that are still very afforable, especially coming from LI) to live in Greece and all over the Rochester area.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM

I honestly wasn't partial to any area, I just found it during an online search and saw that it was reasonably priced. Thanks for the information though, I had no idea. Can you recommend any nicer apartment complexes in Greece?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I honestly wasn't partial to any area, I just found it during an online search and saw that it was reasonably priced. Thanks for the information though, I had no idea. Can you recommend any nicer apartment complexes in Greece?
If you are not partial to any one are in Rochester... why don't you let us know where you will be working, what you are looking for interms of recreation/social life, price range... that might help in offering suggestions. I don't know your age, but the younger crowd likes the East End in terms of living for the social aspect-dining and bars-nightlife... Park Ave Area... It all depends on what you are looking for...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 AM

I don't have a job lined up yet, I'm in the process of applying and the way the search is going now I'll probably end up moving before I have a set position. As far as an apartment goes, my main concerns are price and safety. I'm looking to spend no more than $600 a month on rent and I want a place where I can feel safe coming home late at night. Other than that, I'm not very picky.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't have a job lined up yet, I'm in the process of applying and the way the search is going now I'll probably end up moving before I have a set position. As far as an apartment goes, my main concerns are price and safety. I'm looking to spend no more than $600 a month on rent and I want a place where I can feel safe coming home late at night. Other than that, I'm not very picky.

Just a word of advice... Rochester has a pretty bad job market right now... I would wait to move here until you get a job- it is a bit risky otherwise. That being said...

A lot of young people I know started out in Highview Manor in Fairport... the rent is close to your price- maybe $50 more... I really only know the east side- Fairport, Pittsford, Penfield, Webster in terms of apartments... Rents usually start around there on the East Side for older apartment buildings and studios/small one bedrooms.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,204,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Just a word of advice... Rochester has a pretty bad job market right now... I would wait to move here until you get a job- it is a bit risky otherwise. That being said...

A lot of young people I know started out in Highview Manor in Fairport... the rent is close to your price- maybe $50 more... I really only know the east side- Fairport, Pittsford, Penfield, Webster in terms of apartments... Rents usually start around there on the East Side for older apartment buildings and studios/small one bedrooms.

I lived in Highview Manor in Fairport 20 years ago....great place! Not far from the Village & cable TV is still included I believe. There is a swimming pool & tennis courts as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
I lived in Highview Manor in Fairport 20 years ago....great place! Not far from the Village & cable TV is still included I believe. There is a swimming pool & tennis courts as well.
I am pretty sure they have a gym now as well... pretty sure... not positive... saves on gym membership if you already go.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 263,889 times
I would look on the South East side of the city, SouthWedge, Upper Monroe, East End.

The suburban areas are isolated and you will have to drive everywhere @ $4.30 gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area