U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,373 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to the Rochester area from Baltimore within the next few months. I currently work in the legal administrative field. I've been looking online at apartments in the South Wedge and Monroe areas, which seem decent enough. I'm NOT a 20-something...I'm a 20+20-something. While I love younger folks and I love the city, I also like to have some modicum of peace and quiet. A few places with outdoor seating (I have a small dog...do they even allow dogs indoors in NY?), and maybe even a park nearby would be nice. Is this just a really nice daydream, or do places like that exist in Rochester? Any insight would be quite helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,801,497 times
14532... Pittsford NY
14450... Fairport/Perinton (Fairport is the mailing address for Perinton- Perinton is the town in which the Village of Faiport sits in the center of- but they are one in the same)

I think you will be happy in either of those towns... TONS of parks, cute villages on the canal, the canal itself is great for dog walking, tons of nature paths in Fairport/Perinton for hiking with dogs... shopping, dining... everything is within walking distance... and minutes to downtown via the expressway... very 40something friendly! Close enough to sophistication and far away from bar hopping party goers. I love both towns... Penfield is another one... but not as walkable as the other two (where I currently live).

Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM

169 posts, read 424,259 times
The North Winton neighbothood in the city may also be a good candidate. Very close to Ellison Park. There are a good number of single family homes and duplexes for rent in the area, though it's mostly owner-occupied. I would stay East of Culver Road.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM

66 posts, read 263,961 times
The suburban towns mean driving. Stick to the SouthEast side of the city like Park Ave.

Plenty of parks, dogs and empty nesters.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouldCottage View Post
The suburban towns mean driving. Stick to the SouthEast side of the city like Park Ave.

Plenty of parks, dogs and empty nesters.
ALL of the college kids live there... Bar hopping and house parties... Maybe I misunderstood what they are looking for.... but I think they want to stay away from all of that....

Old 06-19-2008, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,373 times
All ~

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be visiting for a week in July, and I'll be sure to check out the neighborhoods and towns you suggested. As it stands now, I'm not moving until December (great time, I know...I'm just hoping for a mild winter, or at least a late one).

Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Just gonna copy and paste... rediculous statement

Quote:
In regards to the SECOND comment made like this... I MUST respond... just a little copy and paste to save time....

That is insane... you make it sound like living in Fairport, Penfield or Pittsford is like living in the sticks... it is the second post you have made this same ignorant comment... If you get on 490 you are anywhere in no time...about 10 minutes to downtown and you could be sitting in your car longer than that in the stop and go city traffic ...talk about eating gas... and then worry about the insane on street parking system of the city or the cost of parking in a garage... Isolated means they sit all by themselves... Isolated does not mean they border the city and have huge populations, entertainment, dining, shopping... like the Suburbs of Rochester do. That was one of the most rediculous statements I have read about our suburbs. Everything you could want is in the suburbs without the young party goers and crime of SOME parts of the city... One Example... Pittsford Plaza- walking distance from Village of Pittsford and the amazing dining in Pittsford itself... THIS comment just sounds like an ANTI East Side individual's view. Fairport is a wonderful place- voted in the top 60's of best places to live about two years ago... With some editing... LIving in the Village of Faiport you are in walking distance to the Canal Path, library, park, small village grocery/hiking trails...and a very short drive to Wegmans /Target/Drug Stores/Dining/Parks/Rec Center/the list goes on and on- about 3-5 minutes TREK by car- so VERY VERY far... Eastview mall- the most posh and best mall in Rochester is close by- the mall everyone prefers... Isolated... like it is some prairie with tumble weeds...

Old 06-20-2008, 01:26 PM

60 posts, read 168,928 times
Most of the suburbs are nice, especially the east side--Fairport included. It depends on what you want. If you want to live in the city, you might want to check out the Corn Hill area. It abuts the river and there are some nice areas to walk your dog. Rochester, New York's finest apartments at Corn Hill Landing These are new apartments. I don't know what the rents are. I believe there are apartments in the East End area. I wouldn't personally want to live there because it gets really noisy at night.

I live in Webster (east side) and there are a lot of brand new apartment complexes going up here. It's about a 20 minute drive to downtown. You'll find that the commute to downtown from most of the east side burbs isn't anything compared to Baltimore. The west side has major construction on 490 (Xway) and causes delays. This is going to be going on for the next couple of years. Things are pretty spread out in Webster and Penfield, though, so if you're looking for a village type of town, check on the others. Webster does have a village, but everything else is spread out. Pittsford has a village too. Brighton is a quaint older town and is also very nice.

You can try Apartments.com – Find Apartments For Rent Free Among the Most Visual Rental Listings to do a search on some of the apartments in the area. The Park Ave area is a mix. I have friends who are in their 50s that have lived there for years. It's not all college kids.

If you want to search the classifieds, try Craigslist or the local paper: democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle | Rochester news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Rochester, New York. You might find a nice apartment in a house through one of these. Good luck and welcome to Rochester!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 AM

66 posts, read 263,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
ALL of the college kids live there... Bar hopping and house parties... Maybe I misunderstood what they are looking for.... but I think they want to stay away from all of that....
I believe the quote was....While I love younger folks and I love the city, I also like to have some modicum of peace and quiet. A few places with outdoor seating (I have a small dog...do they even allow dogs indoors in NY?), and maybe even a park ...

We lived for 25 years in the Park Ave neighborhood and did not have any problems with " all the college kids etc. " sounds like you do not really know the character of the neighborhood. All of my neighbors were families and empty nesters from the three Ps.

Most of Fairport, Pittsford and Perinton are tracts of suburban houses and would require a car to go anywhere to sit outside with your dog, unlike Park Ave and Berkley St. that can be walked to from your home, and where tons of people drive into from the burbs to eat and stroll around.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-21-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I believe the quote was....While I love younger folks and I love the city, I also like to have some modicum of peace and quiet. A few places with outdoor seating (I have a small dog...do they even allow dogs indoors in NY?), and maybe even a park ...

We lived for 25 years in the Park Ave neighborhood and did not have any problems with " all the college kids etc. " sounds like you do not really know the character of the neighborhood. All of my neighbors were families and empty nesters from the three Ps.

Most of Fairport, Pittsford and Perinton are tracts of suburban houses and would require a car to go anywhere to sit outside with your dog, unlike Park Ave and Berkley St. that can be walked to from your home, and where tons of people drive into from the burbs to eat and stroll around.

skbs, Maybe you posted after filling up.

IF you live in the Village of Fairport or the Village of Pittsford... you can walk to all of the above areas you listed as a trek by car...encluding grocery, dining, PARKS, canal path, hiking trails... I don't think you know the suburbs too well if you are making these comments... and you don't have to put up with the kids... and believe me... Park Ave/Monroe is the PRIME college location for apartments... about 2/3 of the friends I had in college lived there... House Parties in a row... Park Ave Fest Parties... No need for a car to bar hop because we all could crash somewhere in East End... My cousins are all that age and they are doing the same thing now... East End is where the party is at... And if you LIVED there for 25 years, I don't know what age bracket that puts you in... but obviously you aren't living there now... I ALWAYS suggest East End to YOUNG COLLEGE KIDS or those JUST GRADUATING... NEVER an adult.

Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-21-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or