U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 04:03 PM

56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times

Advertisements

I was on another forum board where a guy that is an Aquinas alum stated that the Greece HS's, Eastridge and Gates-Chili were glorified city schools. Is that a fair statement or is that exaggerated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM

525 posts, read 1,641,007 times
I'd say that is an exaggerated statement, but those schools certainly have a reputation of being the lower tier of the suburban schools. I'm in no position to judge whether that reputation is deserved or not, but part of it has to do with being inner-ring suburbs.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:28 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
If you are a sheltered moronic outer suburban jerkoff, then yes, it would be true.
If you actually have seen what a city school is like, then no.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If you are a sheltered moronic outer suburban jerkoff, then yes, it would be true.
If you actually have seen what a city school is like, then no.
LOL, great answer. To make sure my response is clear...there is a huge gap between city schools and suburban schools, but of the suburban schools, those have the lower reputation (whether deserved or not). Of course, most eastsiders overrate their own schools, so East Rochester was omitted from that group.

My opinion is that parents and home life are more important than schools anyways...and that is the true difference between the city and suburban schools. In fact, most standardized test scores have insignificant differences across districts when comparing stable, middle-class families. Most school rankings (e.g., Newsweek) are based on metrics barely relevent and highly influenced by factors outside the school's capabilities (such as the lone Newsweek metric of number of students taking AP/IB classes divided by the number of graduating seniors).

Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM

So, what about a school like Wilson Magnet, that has had a good reputation? Are there any city schools or parts of the Rochester City school district that might be better than others? For instance, is the area around East High and that part of the city have better schools versus say the Edison High area and that part of town?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM

260 posts, read 881,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was on another forum board where a guy that is an Aquinas alum stated that the Greece HS's, Eastridge and Gates-Chili were glorified city schools. Is that a fair statement or is that exaggerated?
Well it really depends, Greece has a great school district for how much their residents pay for tax.

I grew up on the east side and I love Fairport. I personally believe for how much we pay in taxes our school district is one of the best in the county.

Pittsford also has great schools but everyone knows why.

Brighton has always been on the map for their academics. They are always #1 ranked in the county for their grades.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
So, what about a school like Wilson Magnet, that has had a good reputation? Are there any city schools or parts of the Rochester City school district that might be better than others? For instance, is the area around East High and that part of the city have better schools versus say the Edison High area and that part of town?
The only city school I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about was School of the Arts. Wilson Magnet is constantly rated high based on measures like number of students taking AP classes. The fact of the matter is that barely 50% of the students passed the Math Regents A in 2006. For a city school though, the fact that 80% of the graduating students go on to college is impressive (50% 4-yr, 30% 2-yr).

Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School in Rochester, New York / NY

Long story short, Wilson Magnet and School of the Arts are the better of the city schools, but keep in mind that these are the best of the best that the city has to offer and they are at best around par with the lower ranked suburban schools.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM

rochacha, I think 63% passed the Math Regents A in 2006. It says on that website that 12% passed with distinction, 51% passed and 37% did not pass it. Not great, but it's better than 50%.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
rochacha, I think 63% passed the Math Regents A in 2006. It says on that website that 12% passed with distinction, 51% passed and 37% did not pass it. Not great, but it's better than 50%.
Thanks for the correction. I missed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area