U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Inner Loop be torn down?
YES! 7 50.00%
NO! 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM

845 posts, read 1,629,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I like the idea of connecting some streets, like Park ave to downtown, but can't we just build the bridges and keep the inner loop below ground. Buildings could be built to strattle the loop so you wouldn't know it's there from the street level.
Park Ave could easily connect to downtown via Canfield Place once the Inner Loop is filled in. The only problem is one extremely valuable and historic building blocking the way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,610,943 times
What's so valuable about this building? It already has some huge and unsightly, blocky addition thrown on the back of it, might as well rip the entire thing down to connect Park to the rest of the city.

You are talking about this building, and not the one next to it right?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM

845 posts, read 1,629,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
What's so valuable about this building? It already has some huge and unsightly, blocky addition thrown on the back of it, might as well rip the entire thing down to connect Park to the rest of the city.

My apologies, the one next to it. I say tear it down then...

Anyway, Did anyone see this? A boulevard such as this is set to replace the Inner Loop within a decade, and though it's likely not realistic that this will happen, the streetscape on the video looks GREAT. Very urban, very healthy looking and clearly it's time to do something like this.

Inner Loop East Simulation - YouTube

Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM

120 posts, read 289,958 times
Quote:

Where is this picture? Is this East Main or Plymouth?

As for the inner loop. I'm joining the conversation late, but as others have mentioned the inner loop the least of this city's problems. And is not what keeps people from going downtown. The lack of good leadership and the many factions in this city are the problem. This being said as a 20 year Rochester City resident. I've owned my home in the city on the east side for 15 years.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,610,943 times
That picture is from Google Maps, it's a street view right from the end of Park Ave at Alexander looking west towards DT, you can see Xerox there in the distant background. That driveway right there would essentially be an extension of Park on the other side of it's intersection with Alexander.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 PM

120 posts, read 289,958 times
Quote:
That picture is from Google Maps, it's a street view right from the end of Park Ave at Alexander looking west towards DT, you can see Xerox there in the distant background. That driveway right there would essentially be an extension of Park on the other side of it's intersection with Alexander.
Got it. Thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 06:10 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,449,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
My apologies, the one next to it. I say tear it down then...

Anyway, Did anyone see this? A boulevard such as this is set to replace the Inner Loop within a decade, and though it's likely not realistic that this will happen, the streetscape on the video looks GREAT. Very urban, very healthy looking and clearly it's time to do something like this.

Inner Loop East Simulation - YouTube
This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 13,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcolo View Post
[i]
The Inner Loop did indeed help kill downtown, in many ways. I think that Rochester is also far too car-dependent in general. The future will not be kind to car-dependent living.
I agree with the above quote. Rochester's car-dependency will bite it in the arse in a thousand million different ways. The automobile is a blight upon our society.

That said, the Inner Loop isn't that useful. It's more of a barrier than a facilitating conduit. But one thing about it is that it's awesome for motorcycles. I don't really see cops on it. I love zooming around it on my Ninja ZX-6R - much more isolated place (and thus safer) than 490/390 with less cars in my way. But I won't be sad if that part of the Inner Loop gets filled in. South Wedge / Monroe Ave / East / Park / etc all DEFINITELY can use the help from that fill-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area