U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 18,676 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently am a law student in Florida and am considering making a move back to Rochester to live and work. I went to school and worked in Rochester for 6 years prior to moving to Florida for law school (moving to Florida, not law school!). I left upstate, NY with the idea that Florida would be a great place to be...I was mistaken. I wan't to move back to Rochester because I just can't afford to live in South Florida.

However, I am concerned about Rochester's economy, specifically the amount of attorney positions available. When I lived in Rochester I knew the economy wasn't hot but never paid much attention to the legal field. Does anyone know how the legal field is in Rochester? Many firms hiring 1st year associates?

Any insight would be appreciated. Also, has Rochester's economy changed (improved) at all since I was there 3 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,024 times
I have a couple of friends that have graduated from tier 2 and 3 law schools and they found jobs within 1-2 months. They did not seem have any problems getting interviews. They had several interviews so I don't think it will be as hard to find a job as other fields.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 18,676 times
Did your friends go to law schools in NY? Coming from Florida (though living in Rochester for 6 years), i'm concerned about law firm's hiring bias towards "northern" law schools.

Anyone else? bump bump.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-01-2007 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: bumping

Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,024 times
A couple of my freinds went to University of Buffalo, others went to Syracuse. One went to St. Johns. All NY schools. I am not sure if there is a bias or not towards northern schools.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,200,407 times
Yes I think it would definitely be more difficult to get a job in the field coming from Florida. The "prestige," factor is huge in the NY legal market. I think Rochester might be immune from this since its upstate, but the NYC area is flooded with lawyers and only grads from the top schools get good jobs. Of course in Rochester I'm guessing grads from SUNY Buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany have first dibs on all of the good jobs.

I'll PM you with some more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area