U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,224 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice on the ins and outs of the Browncroft Winton area? Mostly what I have read is to stay east of Culver Rd. for safety.

How close can you come to Culver (on the east side) and still be in a safe home?

Anyone here live there and enjoy the area? Anything to look out for (good or bad)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:39 PM

525 posts, read 1,641,273 times
I don't live there, but I have passed by many times on the way to Captain Jim's Fish Market (Main and Winton, best fish fry in Rochester IMHO) and Sticky Lips BBQ. East of Winton is very safe I believe. When it turns to Atlantic, the closer you get to Culver, the worse it gets, so I'd stay closer to Winton if at all possible. I know some people that live on the "state" streets (the streets named Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, etc.) who say it is ok if you are aware of your surroundings. I hear about some trouble with the East High kids as well (Main and Culver) but that might just be rumor. Of course, a lot of this depends on where you are coming and used to as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM

169 posts, read 422,919 times
Browncroft (the streets east of Winton and generally straddling both sides of Atlantic) is as safe as any Rochester suburb. This is a prime residential area that's very coveted, despite the fact that you are still technically within the city. Generally, if you can afford to buy here, you can afford private school.

The streets between Culver Road and Winton are generally safe with one or two exceptions (avoid Parsells and adjoining streets). In general, if you stay east of Akron, you will be in great shape from a safety perspective, though that's not to say the streets immediately west of there are "bad." The streets between Atlantic and Blossom and east of Culver Road are good to excellent (Marion, etc.). Grand Avenue is a good street all the way west to Culver. Garson is OK but a little rougher at the edges. Merchants goes from excellent at the southeast end (really, this is Browncroft) to generally OK where it meets Culver at its northwest end. You will tend to see a very marked difference when you cross Culver. Nothing beats driving around.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,319,450 times
I live there now. We rented for about a year on Winton rd, bought a house a few months ago in about 0.5 mile off of Merchants. Its one of the better areas of the city. Like everybody says, stay east of Culver, its a night and day difference.

In my opinion, the best way to see if the area is safe is to pick a warm day in the evening and drive by. See what the neighbors are like.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,784 times
I live about a neighborhood over and walk my dog , ride my bike and go running in the neighborhood around Winton and Merchants. Its a good neighborhood. I had friends try to buy houses there but they seem to sell very fast, above what is asked for.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 AM

124 posts, read 457,592 times
Default Any link to mapquest

showing this area being discussed. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
This might help and check out the street view:winton road, rochester, ny - Google Maps

Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Also see what people are saying about the East side. I would drive to the Hillside building on East Main by Goodman. It does get to be a bit "hood" around there. If you take Goodman going north towards Irondequoit, that part of the city seems to be better too. Not sure where I would cut it off at between where it is still rough versus where it starts getting nicer or nice, but you will see it if you drive north on Goodman from East Main. I want to say in the area between Bay and Clifford is where it changes, but don't quote me on that.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,224 times
So I'm hearing Culver is the dividing line. Farther east the more safe things seem to be. I'll definitely take a drive around one afternoon. Good advice!

I've also heard recently that things can get "dicey" north of Norton St. as well. Anyone heard that?

Any truth to the rumors that certain streets in the browncroft/winton area are safer than others? i.e. Grand Ave or Hurstbourne are considered very safe, while others like Parsells Ave are not. Anyone have any input into more individual streets in this area?

Thanks, this has been great!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,425 times
I'm looking into buying a double on Parsells ave. It's east of culver, which from what I have read here is good. If your going north on Merchants and make a left on Parsells ave, it's the second or third house so it's really close to merchants. I would be living in half the house while renting out the other half. Is this area ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or