Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 9,620 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was hoping for a little help.

I've looked a few times on this site, but never left a post....

I'm currently applying for jobs in Rochester - and looking to maybe rent. I used to have family in the city when I was younger, but now I'm just looking to move here to make a fresh start here.

I'm not looking for a big, amazing house, just somewhere humble and safe. All I want to know is the areas of town I should stay away from, and a list of areas that are good neighbourhoods. If someone could help me out that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 PM

169 posts, read 475,420 times
What's your approximate price range?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 AM

Ive been looking just under $100,000

But maybe I could get somewhere that needs work for a bit less, like $80,000 - and then do it up.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 AM

169 posts, read 475,420 times
If you are interested in city living, I would recommend the North Winton area. The neighborhood has a lot of amenities and is safe as long as you stay east of Culver Road. The Hudson school in this area is reputedly good. You might also want to consider the southwedge, swillburg and upper monroe areas all of which are in the 14620 zip code. Personally, I would try to stay east of South Avenue. You should get a somewhat nicer house in the North Winton area in your price range as the southwedge has appreciated more in recent years.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,850,199 times
Do you want City or Suburbs?

I like East Rochester if you are looking at the suburbs and you can find a home for that price range in a very safe area...

Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 AM

City or suburbs - yeh safe area is what I was looking for.

Thanks for the comprehensive explaination Doggz. If I could get a 2 unit property I think I might let one side. I dont need a big house, as its just and the girlfriend. But I would like to invest in a good size property if I can!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 AM

525 posts, read 1,824,505 times
I'd look in Irondequoit north of Titus...especially if you are a fan of living by the lake. The new multi-use trail and Durand Park are very nice and there are some great restaurants nearby.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 PM

123 posts, read 344,443 times
Question Maybe moving to Rochester...

My wife might have a job opportunity in the area, she is originally from upstate NY but other then short holiday visits we don’t really know the area. How gay/lesbian friendly is the area?? Are there any areas or neighborhoods better then other for a lesbian family? Are there any nice lesbian friendly bars, coffee shops and what not? How open are the schools are there social groups for kids that are open to gay families? We know housing is reasonable priced in general but are not sure on the best areas to live and hang out. Are there any areas were you can be near to dining and night life, shows or sporting events? We are hoping to be able to get a 3+bed, 2+bath, with lots of living space, maybe a game room or finished basement, and a good sized yard for the doggies. Would appreciate constructive feed back on the area.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
Well, the area that would most fit the bars, restaraunts, larger gay community would be the Park Avenue area of the city. Though it is considered expensive on Rochester standards, coming from CA the pricetag for a house that you'd want (probably between $200-300k) will seem like a bargain most likely. The only caveat is that you are in the city school district; which isn't very good. The suburbs have excellent schools, but are probably not the same city-vibe you are looking for. The one exception may be older parts of Brighton. There are a few really good magnet schools in the city (School of the arts and Wilson T. Magnet) but they are very competitive. Any of the inner-suburbs have a very easy (20 minute tops) commute to downtown Rochester and the urban encleves around Park and Monroe Avenues.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:46 PM

123 posts, read 344,443 times
Thanks. We were thinking the Park Ave area seemed pretty cool, we will also check out the Brighton area. As far as the inner-suburbs, are the schools gay friendly?? We are just starting our family but would strongly consider the magnet, charter, or montessori schools (basically any non-religious school our kids could get a good education.) Are there many schools of that nature in the area?
How is the city in general?? Is there much for 20-30somethings to do??? Is the city gay friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area