U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,610,943 times

Advertisements

Well I'll be damned, there is indeed a stretch of suburb type homes between Dox Alley and Dorbeth Rd. It's only on one side of the road, but still kinda cool I guess. Wonder what initiative that was done under. Looking at Zillow.com and the Monroe County website, it looks like they're all worth $55k+. I can't say I'd even consider living in the area myself, but hey, at least a small part of one of the worst areas of the city looks somewhat appealing, as 585 said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:20 PM

810 posts, read 1,225,887 times
14621 has some of the most beautiful houses you can imagine. I've been here 30 years or so. I live like a rich person on a poor person's pay. You just have to not mind the neighbors.

I can't believe that all the rap-loving white goobers who fantasize about being Real Urban Negroes don't buy in mixed neighborhoods. Only good could come from it. Maybe the government can force them to live here, like they did with forcing people to go to schools out of their neighborhoods.

S

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

205 posts, read 402,197 times
All joking aside, I'm quite interested in what you're talking about. I typically think of that part of the city as a "no-go" area. Perhaps short-sited on my part. As stated above, gentrification can happen ANYWHERE. I watched it take-root in even the worst of areas in DC over the 15 years I lived there. But there has to be a core group of people living there who want to see change. They lobby the city, call the police, etc, etc.

How do you feel about the safety of where you are living?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,610,943 times
At no time would I want to live somewhere where I just have to "not mind the neighbors". What a bunch of horse Moderator cut: language that is.

The city has a bunch of homes that USED to be gorgeous back when they were inhabited by people who actually gave two Moderator cut: language about their entire community, both the property and the people. Now, it's most slums and low rent housing that's a shell of its former self. Quite sad really. All those formerly beautiful mansions now run down and beat up.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-31-2011 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,225,887 times
My neighbors are not nearly as evil as the ofays that I encountered during my very brief corporate job.

And if you live somewhere where you don't mind any of the neighbors, it might be -you're- the worst guy there.

S

Last edited by Sonorio; 06-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Error

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM

345 posts, read 943,468 times
There's a reason they say "location-location-location." I rather live in a lesser house in a good neighborhood anyday, then in a grand house in a crummy neighborhood - most people feel this way and it will play out when you try to sell your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area