Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,543,105 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Rochester most of my life and grew up here. But there is somthing that has alwasy confused me a little growing up and that I still to this day don't completely understand...what's up with our mailing addresses/town names around here. For starters, the biggest quirk and first thing I noticed as a kid was that all of the inner ring suburbs, and even a little further out into the west side; have a "Rochester" mailing address. Until I was in my TEENS I thought that ALL cities were MADE UP of towns I knew I lived in the town of Greece, but thought that Greece was "part" of the city of Rochester; because every address in Greece; as well as, Gates, Chili, Brighton, and Irondequoit (and I think Spencerport) all have "Rochester as their mailing address. Even in our phonebook (which nobody actually uses anymore, but still) there are no sections for the aforementioned towns...they are all under the "Rochester" section. Never quite got that. Another thing....why does everything in Parma have a Hilton address and go to HIlton schools....same with Fairport/Perinton, Churcvhille AND Mumford/Wheatland, Honeyoe Falls/Rush, Spencerport/Ogden, Brockport/Clarkson. It makes no sense! I love this place but we are strange when ti comes to names/mailing addresses for our towns and cities. Anyone have any ideas how it got to be like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,822,214 times
I believe the reason is that when the postal codes were assigned, the post offices for most of the inner suburbs was in the city limits, therefore requiring a city mailing address. Since there is a city designation assigned to the postal code, everyone in that postal code uses Rochester, NY. For instance, most of North Greece has a 14612 postal code and the post office was originally in Charlotte...hence Rochester, NY. Same with 14624...the postal code covers parts of Rochester, Gates, Chili, and Ogden, but the post office was originally in Rochester. I believe 14617, Irondequoit, originally had post office on Ridge Rd. E. in the part that is the city.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,088,626 times
I work for the post office and recently moved to Brockport in the village of Sweden and you are right about Rochester but realize the zip code,and the ZIP CODE ALONE determines where the letter or package goes to.If I used Anaheim,California 14420 as my return address but the street address is good; the delivery will come to brockport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area