Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM

128 posts, read 322,982 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend the best cities to look into relocating in or close to Rochester NY. Any you suggest we stay clear of?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 05:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
well when you say "cities" around Rochester does that mean you are looking for an urban area? Rochester is the core "city" in the region and the only real urban area around until you get to Buffalo. There are plenty of large suburbs and villages/towns around the Rochester region that are great places to live with close proximity to the city of Rochester and downtown....but it is the principal city in the region.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks. Yes, I meant great neighborhoods and school districts that are in Rochester or in close proximity to Rochester. Several nearby communities are mentioned but I'm not sure which of these town or neighborhoods are good and where they are located. Looking for Low or No crime areas, Great Schools, Major Medical Facilities, Shopping, within an hour from Airport. If any of this is possible.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:59 PM

well depending on your pricerange, there are many areas that you would consider. Brighton is closest to the city and most of the area hospitals. It is largely an upper middle class educated suburb with mostler older (1930s-1950's/60's) homes and some of the best schools in the state. Brighton is more divers than other suburbs and has a fairly high Jewish population, it also has a generaly older population than many other area towns. Pittsford is the newer, younger, more affluent compliment to Brighton. It is a canal town that is much more suburban in nature with newer houses on bigger lots. Pittsford is considered a "new money" affluent suburb (yet the average home price is still well under $300k). There are more young familes in Pittsford vs. more empty nesters in Brighton (yet both of them have excellent schools). If those towns are a little out of your pricerange you might also want to consider Fairport (another town on the canal with a charming village center similar to Pittsford's) which has cheaper utilities and lower taxes than much of the Rocheser area. Webster and Henreitta are fast-growing towns. Webster is on Lake Ontario and Henreitta is just south of Brighton and is where RIT and a lot of the high-tech jobs are located (Henreitta is often called, for better or worse, the "commercial suburb". All of these towns are considered the "East Side" which has a bit of a superiority complex over the "West side". West side towns include Greece (where I live, which is the biggest suburb of Rochester with about 95,000), Hilton, Gates, Chili, and Spencerport. The "West side" is a little more blue collar vs. the more white collar east side and is more conservative in general than the east side. Many people criticize the west side towns as being "dirtier" and should be avoided. But in reality, the only areas I would avoid are Gates and Southeastern parts of Greece. All of the towns I have mentioned so far are all within a 30-35 minute drive TOPS to downtown and the airport, and all have shopping and ammenities close by.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks you so much for being so informitive. I really appreciate it.
By any chance do you know how the property taxes are in Brighton, Pittsford and Fairport. On another post someone mentioned on $400,000 home your taxes would start at $15,000. Sounds like Long Island. Is this true? Thank you in advance.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Yes, taxes are generaly high in Monroe County, but they vary. I think the highest taxes are in North Greece, and the lowest are in Henrietta. Really I would suggest you do a search on Nothnagle.com with your pricerange in several towns. All of the listings on nothnagle show what the property taxes are.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
Default Brighton

We live in Brighton and really love its proximity to the city of Rochester--plus it is quite an easy drive to just about anywhere else--shopping, airport (about 10 minutes), etc.

If it's any help, we moved here in the summer of 2007 and bought a 4-bedroom, 2 1/2 bath split level built in 1958, on about a third of an acre, for $186,000, and our taxes (school, property, etc. all together) are approximately $6,100 a year. That's with the STAR exemption. We moved here from a NYC suburb, so that seems low to us! We live on a nice quiet street within walking distance of the schools and the town "center", 12 Corners.

One thing I will say about Brighton is that it really doesn't have the "village center" feeling that Pittsford and some of the other towns mentioned above have. 12 Corners is really just a place where several major streets (Monroe Ave., Elmwood, Winton, etc.) come together, and there are several shopping centers. It's nice for the kids because they can walk there from the schools, but it's not like some towns where you can park and walk to do all of your errands (in Brighton the post office is across town; the Town Hall and library are quite a ways down Elmwood, although you could walk it, and neither Tops or Wegmans are within walking distance from 12 corners, although they are easy to drive to.)

Our two teenagers really like the high school and we like that it is a diverse population. Everyone we've met has been very friendly and welcoming.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 PM

7 posts, read 11,867 times
No one has mentioned the beautifull and prestigous browncroft area located on the east end of rochester bordering brighten.browncroft is a community and offers the very best of city living.safe.quiet.tree lined streets.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipkat View Post
No one has mentioned the beautifull and prestigous browncroft area located on the east end of rochester bordering brighten.browncroft is a community and offers the very best of city living.safe.quiet.tree lined streets.
I live withing walking distance of that area, one of the best areas in the city.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Yes, Brownroft is a wonderful city neighborhood. Again, the schools aren't that geat but I'd imagine most of the parents in that neighborhood send their kids to McQuaid or Bishop Kearny or other private/catholic schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area