U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM

14 posts, read 29,178 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Rochester in the next few weeks and have s small sporty car. Will I do ok with great snow tires or do I need to get rid of it and get a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

I do fine in PA without snow tires but we get a third of the snow you do.

Thanks!

Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,778,679 times
You will be fine with the snow tires..... I have never driven a 4wd car..... a Civic and a Tucsan..... and never a problem..... just follow the winter rules and you will be fine....

Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 AM

14 posts, read 29,178 times
Thanks skbs!! You're always so helpful! I appreciate it!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 AM

351 posts, read 2,163,222 times
I drive a small compact car. On Friday I drove home from work at 5:00 pm. In the parking lot, and on service roads, I could see my regular tires were doing more spinning than tractioning. The car would move, but I knew by the sound of my engine that I was accelerating more than usual and still getting half the speed.

So Saturday morning I decide to get two snow front tires (it's a front wheel drive). I had to drive from Brighton to a shop in Irondequoit (Hudson and Ridge), where they had the size of tires I needed. On the way up there, again I felt a lot of spinning, mostly when I had to stop and start again at red lights. After the two snow tires were installed and I headed back (at around 3:00 pm) ... wow... what a difference! I was not sure snow tires would make a difference on 10-15 inches of snow, but they did. As I examined my regular tires, a crust of crushed snow would form over the tread, leaving a completely flat surface to make contact with the road. But the tread of the snow tire somehow would break that ice/snow and push that to the side, so no crust would form on the snow tires. Very effective indeed. As I drove past the Walmart on Hudson, I got me a collapsible shovel too (on Friday I was one of the last to leave the office, so the snow trucks had pushed all the snow around my car, and I had to ask for help to get out).

And, as I was waiting for my tires to be installed, I learned you even have winter whidshield wiper blades, that some people install. Is that a common practice?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,355,791 times
I have been driving since 1954(Hi youngsters) in the north east. New hampshire and Maine early on and for the past 40 years or so in upstate NY, north of Utica, and I skied most of my life so I have driven in a lot of snow and never owned a four wheel drive vehicle until 1990 althugh I always put snow tires on in the winter months. My first 4 wheel drive vehicle was a Ford Bronco 11. I got stuck in the mud in that and hit the button to engage 4 wheel. It did not help one bit. After getting out I went to my local Ford dealer and told them something was wrong with the four wheel. After explaining what happened he explained the four wheel will not engage until the front wheels turn over a few times (how do you do that when your already stuck). He said you have to engage before you get stuck. I asked if Ford had a manual explaining when your about to get stuck and we both chuckled. In 1992 I bought a Subaru SVX, a low slung sporty car, ALL WHEEL drive which is 'engaged' full time. That was a fantastic vehicle except in deep snow where you might get hung up from underneath and the tires can't get adequate traction. After a few years of that I needed a pick up and have now had three 4 wheel drive Ford Rangers which again you have to engage BEFORE you get stuck and don't want to run four wheel on dry pavement and damage the transfer case rendering the four wheel useless and incur a fair amount of expense to repair. I still add weight in the rear (a couple hundred pounds) for extra rear traction since we get pounded with lake effect snows.
TWH - If, in the future, you opt for electronic four wheel (As on my Bronco 11 and Rangers) or all wheel or 4 wheel with locking hubs learn the differences, advantages and disadvantages before you buy. If I were to buy a CAR again it would have to be a Subaru. They are great in the snow.
Good luck!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 AM

405 posts, read 1,265,979 times
I suppose two snows are better than none, but be advised that you should always have all four wheels equipped with good snow tires. Putting them on the driving wheels takes care of getting going, but you need good traction on all four to stop effectively. It makes sense to buy a set already mounted on dedicated wheels and change them out at the beginning of snow season. This has the advantage of doubling the life of your regular summer/all season tires as well. I have been dealing with Tirerack.com (no affiliation) for years and have always been happy with them. Do not fool around with regular tires, your life could depend on it.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:13 PM

27 posts, read 144,248 times
-This might be a little late but here goesI have drivin in a lot of snow I have allways had a large rear wheel drive car never much of a problem I allways carry extra waight in the Trunk and for years had studded snows wich are great for snow but are for winter only. I now use all season radials( Newer Tires) and find them allmost as good. If you find you are still having problems think about getting them studded. I know Lewis General Tires does this for a reasonable price and has great service. Good Luck with your move. Regards Scott

Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Putting them on the driving wheels takes care of getting going, but you need good traction on all four to stop effectively.
Good point, I didn't take that into consideration.

Tangentially related: although I kept my old tires, the shop still charged a NY State tire disposal fee (or something along those lines). Is that a state tax paid when tires are replaced (regardless of whether the shop disposes of them or not)? Otherwise, since they didn't dispose of the tires, the charge was erroneously made (and I'll give them a call on Monday)

Old 12-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-moorlygho1 View Post
If you find you are still having problems think about getting them studded. I know Lewis General Tires does this for a reasonable price and has great service.
I asked the shop about getting the tires studded. The offered to do it for 14.99 a tire. They said they were metal studs (I thought they would be rubber or similar material). They also said that, unless I used back roads a lot (that didn't get ploughed), or dirt roads, then for general use studs would not be recommended, since they would just wear out too soon.

I didn't ask whether we could put the studs at a later time, after the tire was installed, or whether I can do it myself. Is that (putting studs on you tire) something you need special tools for?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM

34 posts, read 92,981 times
Thanks so much everyone. I'll be getting 4 snow tires installed before I head out (no weird taxes in PA) - I start February 9th.

The collapsible snow shovel is a great idea as well!

Thanks again - you guys are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area